Author Topic: Rachio... let's go!  (Read 9725 times)

Offline Kuntamu1

Rachio... let's go!
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:02:15 pm »
Rachio has been out for a while now... it's clearly a market leader and works beautifully, for me anyway, thus far. When are are we going to see a plug-in?

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Rachio... let's go!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 06:56:40 am »
When either you or someone who owns and has the skills to make a plugin creates one. Many if not all plugins were created because the developer owns that particular device and had the time and skills to create it. The fastest way to see it happen is to roll up your sleeves and start tinkering.

- Garrett

Offline Bones1117

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 05:04:46 pm »
I wish I had the ability to write it but sadly, no.  However, I am all about getting as much info to the people that can.  The API for the Rachio is publicly available online at the following link.  Maybe this will help persuade someone to tackle this. 

http://rachio.readme.io/v1.0/docs

Offline Bones1117

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 05:09:49 pm »
While I'm at it, might as well mention this as well in case you are not familiar with it.  BlueSpray make a similar controller and its API is also available .  Here is a link to the forum discussion. 

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,24215.0.html

Offline tb001

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »
would love a plug in for this as well. We just installed a system and so far it's great! The one addition I'd like to have is the installation of soil moisture sensors to provide better feedback to the device, but need vera integration for this.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 06:40:18 pm »
You can probley just use HTTP commands to do what you need without using a plugin. What exactly are you trying to do with it in vera? I have open Sprinkler (great unit for half the cost) and it has a plugin. But I haven't found much use of the plugin. I thought if there was motion on my grass and I wasn't home I could filp on the sprinkler to chase the mail man off. But in reality there wasn't much use if any to having vera tied to the sprinkler controller.

Offline tb001

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 06:48:03 pm »
You can probley just use HTTP commands to do what you need without using a plugin. What exactly are you trying to do with it in vera? I have open Sprinkler (great unit for half the cost) and it has a plugin. But I haven't found much use of the plugin. I thought if there was motion on my grass and I wasn't home I could filp on the sprinkler to chase the mail man off. But in reality there wasn't much use if any to having vera tied to the sprinkler controller.

Ideally I'd like to make sensors to detect soil moisture using the instructions at mysensors.org. Goal was to have them read through vera and be able to send alerts if soil was too dry or over saturated and skip or add a watering cycle automatically on the rachio. Guessing there may be an easier way to do this, but I'm a little clueless on the programming front, so have been trying to do as much as possible through solutions which are more plug and play (somewhat...).

Offline hmb

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 08:06:55 pm »
Guessing there may be an easier way to do this, but I'm a little clueless on the programming front, so have been trying to do as much as possible through solutions which are more plug and play (somewhat...).

There is an easier way to do this, which is to have the soil sensors communicate directly with the irrigation controller without involving Vera. The Rachio has unfortunately not been designed to connect directly to soil sensors, but according to this thread on Rachio's support forum:

http://community.rachio.com/t/soil-sensor-connectivity

... they seem to be interested in developing integration with some of the existing soil sensor systems.

Offline tb001

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 10:47:57 pm »
Guessing there may be an easier way to do this, but I'm a little clueless on the programming front, so have been trying to do as much as possible through solutions which are more plug and play (somewhat...).

There is an easier way to do this, which is to have the soil sensors communicate directly with the irrigation controller without involving Vera. The Rachio has unfortunately not been designed to connect directly to soil sensors, but according to this thread on Rachio's support forum:

http://community.rachio.com/t/soil-sensor-connectivity

... they seem to be interested in developing integration with some of the existing soil sensor systems.

Interesting. I knew the sensors were on the roadmap, but hadn't seen that thread. Would love to be able to use a DIY solution--all of the soil sensors I've seen are really expensive to use with any density. We just started using it, but pretty impressed with the product and service level from Rachio so far. Was considering Open Sprinkler, but wanted something easy that we didn't need to troubleshoot too much. Still ended up with a few frustrating issues, but overall feel good about the product we went with.

Offline hmb

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 11:24:17 pm »
Still ended up with a few frustrating issues, but overall feel good about the product we went with.

I am still considering what system to buy. What were the frustrating issues you ran into with the Rachio?

Offline tb001

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 09:23:42 am »
Still ended up with a few frustrating issues, but overall feel good about the product we went with.

I am still considering what system to buy. What were the frustrating issues you ran into with the Rachio?

Sorry, just seeing this now. The biggest issue was that the Rachio connects via 2.4GHz, but not 5GHz. We have a time capsule we are using as a router, which supposedly broadcasts on both, but we could not get it working. We were having a major sprinkling system overhaul at the same time and the guy who was doing the controller install was pretty good with technical stuff (used to install comcast systems), but after several hours we gave up and he just installed a new comcast modem that we'd been putting off.

Other than this, the main problems were wiring ones--on these, I don't know if the guy who re-wired the system screwed something up when transferring the wires, or if our old system had the same problems but wasn't sensitive to it. My guess is the first. On this, Rachio was great--we called them on a Sunday morning and the rep helped us troubleshoot everything and pointed us in the right direction.

So far, all seems to be working well and it's fantastic to be able to turn a zone on/off from the phone. We've had some weirdly long watering times that I need to look into, but I think it's because it's supposed to top 100 here, so the system is adjusting.

Offline Mg9H

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 03:02:28 am »
I wish I had the ability to write it but sadly, no.  However, I am all about getting as much info to the people that can.  The API for the Rachio is publicly available online at the following link.  Maybe this will help persuade someone to tackle this. 

+1 for the plugin.

btw is there instructions on how to write a vera plugin? if i have free time over some weekend i might give it a try (if no one has done it yet)

Edit: found it: http://www.mios.com/developers/become-a-mios-developer/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:37:36 am by Mg9H »

Offline Lonestar10

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 01:38:45 pm »
It looks like Nexia is now working with Rachio, so maybe there's hope it will someday work with Vera.

http://z-wavealliance.org/smart-home-leader-nexia-emphasizes-reliability-over-novelty/

Also, check your local Home Depot.  Rachio is on clearance in my area [Texas] for $187.  That's a steal! (as of 1/10/16)

UPDATE:  (March 2, 2016) Rachio has released a 2nd generation sprinkler controller.  An added feature: 16 zone size is now standard.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 03:47:21 pm by Lonestar10 »
IU5 Vera 3 - VeraLite - Trane Thermostats x3 - Kwikset - Schlage - Nest - GE & Leviton Switches

Offline RodneyE

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 12:27:25 am »
Thanks for sharing the inforamtion guys.It was helpful

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 10:28:49 am »

+1 for the plugin.

btw is there instructions on how to write a vera plugin? if i have free time over some weekend i might give it a try (if no one has done it yet)

Edit: found it: http://www.mios.com/developers/become-a-mios-developer/

Did you ever do this?