We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: QUick Question on Scene to Control Lights  (Read 980 times)

Offline gravi

QUick Question on Scene to Control Lights
« on: April 01, 2015, 09:59:31 pm »
I have a simple problem that I am not able to put my finger on. I have two GE in-wall on/off light switches in two rooms. I created a scene that says if A is turned on then turn B on. If I use my phone app to remotely turn on A the scene triggers and B comes on. But if I physically turn on A by pressing the top of the switch the scene is not triggered. Am I missing anything?

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: QUick Question on Scene to Control Lights
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 04:33:57 am »
Unless your switch A has instant status reporting, Vera will not see that it has changed until it next polls it. This could range from a few seconds to several minutes depending on the number of devices in your Z-Wave network.

There are two solutions:

Change your switch A for one that includes instant status reporting.

Set up a direct association from switch A to switch B. This works without going through Vera so is almost instant. This is only possible if your switch A supports association but most do. Note that Vera will still not see the change to either of the switches until the next poll.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:20:44 am »
The answer provided by @RexBeckett is exactly right.

GE switches, including the 45609 & 45637 On/Off switches, do not support Instant Status or associations. To make your scene responsive, you'll need to look at another switch.

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:05:14 am »
The answer provided by @RexBeckett is exactly right.

GE switches, including the 45609 & 45637 On/Off switches, do not support Instant Status or associations. To make your scene responsive, you'll need to look at another switch.

Thank you for the clarification, @Z-Waver. I naively believed that most Z-Wave switches could handle association. Now I know that the proper answer for anyone having trouble with a GE switch is: Get a different switch. ;)