3 (8.6%)
I'm still on UI3 because UI2 is EndOfLife
9 (25.7%)
I uninstalled UI3 because it's unusable
14 (40%)
I uninstalled it, UI2 is much better
9 (25.7%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Who is using the UI3 and hasn't gone back?  (Read 13499 times)

Offline umtauscher

Who is using the UI3 and hasn't gone back?
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:20:15 pm »
I'm just curious, how big the crowd of beta testers still is.
Thanks

Umtauscher

Offline Jacobly

Re: Who is using the UI3 and hasn't gone back?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:27:09 pm »
Not sure what "eol" is, but I am still on UI3, due to the fact that that is where the main development efforts are being spent. I just need my schlage lock up and running and I'll be good to go!
Z-Wave enthusiast

Offline umtauscher

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:29:35 pm »
Want I meant was (E)nd(O)f(L)ife meaning dead as a doornail....

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Beta Testers
  • Technology Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:00:16 pm »
I am using UI3 because a product I am testing requires it.  Otherwise, I would move back to UI2 as fast as my fingers can type!
"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.

Offline B0SST0N

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 05:24:11 pm »
I am using UI3 because a product I am testing requires it.  Otherwise, I would move back to UI2 as fast as my fingers can type!

I am in this boat too...

Offline mdconnelly

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 05:42:53 pm »
I used UI3 for a few days because I was curious.  I reverted because I needed a functional system that I didn't have to mess with.   I will certainly give UI3 a chance, but not until it gets much further down the road.   

Be that as it may, I think there is promise there, but what was released as beta was far more like alpha and clearly not ready for evaluation in the wild as the feedback posted on this forum clearly indicates.  MCV did far more damage to their reputation than good on this one.  Ouch.

I suspect there is much we don't know about why it was released so early.   Time will tell.

Offline markbawden

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 06:07:42 pm »
I'm interested to know if you're testing square connects app? if  you are, and this requires me to upgrade to ui3, I'll probably not be buying it when it reaches the app store.

Offline CMRancho

• Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 06:24:37 pm »
I was (or should be) in that boat, too, but I had to bail. After upgrading to 1.1.213 (with all its pre-alpha problems), I had to revert to .980 because I only have one MIOS, and I need that to control my house. Which means for now I'm unable to help test SC. <disappointed>

It may seem obvious to say, but I can't imagine SC releasing until there's a stable Vera release for it to run against.
Vera123beta; Schlage, Kwikset, TZEMT400; Linksys cams, Smarteye cams, HSM100; Aeon, Everspring, Cooper, Leviton, Intermatic, FortrezZ, Global Caché, USB-UIRT, Somfy, etc.

Offline zmistro

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 06:39:42 pm »
So i guess we are going to be stuck with a sloooooow resource hog like V3.

I really don't see why the retail customer is the test dummy for some other applications. That is what R&D money is for. That is why in the early days MCV highly dicounted Vera as a beta unit.

What are you thinking MCV. Some response is greatly appreciated.

Offline wseverino

• Global Moderator
  • Da Man, Da Myth, Da Legend - in his own mind!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 07:46:46 pm »
Mistro - I hope they can get the resource issue under control. If not I am going to buy a fit-PC2 and slap HomeSeer on it!
My ZWave Network: Too friggin big to list.....

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 07:57:32 pm »
I was only using for a day, but I didn't have a slowness issue when I was using UI3. I was accessing from Safari 4 on a iMac (24-inch Mid 2007, 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo). I went back to 1.0.x because of the lack of thermostat support in UI3. Once UI3 has thermostat support I think I will probably make the move back.

Offline far182

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 02:00:38 am »
Missing the option "Skipping this version".

Vote +1

Offline umtauscher

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 02:56:53 am »
Missing the option "Skipping this version".
I know, but that was not my intention. I just wanted to know how many installed UI3 and are still testing it.

I thing the result so far says it all.

@wseverino
An interresting idea. If I would get an Asus EEEbox, the power consumption would not be that big,  (about 20W) it would have a lot of horsepower and and be a lot faster and I could run Homesser or something similar on it.  In the current situation, I feel Vera is a dying product....

Umtauscher

Offline markbawden

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 04:56:47 am »
So it's confirmed - you need to be running UI3 to us the upcoming SQ App. Well that counts me out, shame, I was looking fwd to using what looks like a promising solution.

Square Connect, if your reading this, how about applying some pressure? because if you take the results of the survey in this post it looks as if your potential market is going to be substantially reduced.

MVC, if your reading this, priorities must be:

1. RELIABILITY - if you turn a light on, it has to work 100% of the time and within seconds of the command being sent, anything less is failure.

2. Device support, thermostats, sensors, locks - make them work, and make them work reliably.

We don't need a retrograde UI rewrite, A simpler, richer featured interface would be nice, but only after the first 2 things are addressed, (and pay a proper interface designer to work on it, not some 'flash developer').

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 05:45:22 pm »
I would vote for the second choice, but I think the poll was closed.

As seen in this post:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3032.0

Square Connect has worked it out with MCV to have a UI2 version of the software that supports their Iphone remote and is stable.

So you will have a choice.  I have chosen to stick it out with UI3 (I think the poll was closed otherwise add me to the second choice) partly because I am already beta testing and the UI3 is still usable for me.  I don't think my Schlage lock works, but the WD Thermostat works well enough in UI3 and works completely through SQ Connect.  Also I don't have a huge network of devices yet and my Mac Mini isn't slowed that much by UI3, so things are still pretty responsive. 

Also, you should all be aware that once you are using the SQ Connect offering for control, you won't need to access UI3 except for changes in programming.  It is that good of a user experience and product.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set