3 (8.6%)
I'm still on UI3 because UI2 is EndOfLife
9 (25.7%)
I uninstalled UI3 because it's unusable
14 (40%)
I uninstalled it, UI2 is much better
9 (25.7%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Who is using the UI3 and hasn't gone back?  (Read 13892 times)

Offline umtauscher

Re: Who is using the UI3 and hasn't gone back?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 03:46:32 am »
Well I most certainly didn't lock the vote and I am not able to unlock it either.
Seems, that someone is hurt, why nobody loves UI3?

Nevertheless I think it speaks for itself.
Cheers

Umtauscher

guest4690

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 06:16:12 am »
Well I most certainly didn't lock the vote and I am not able to unlock it either.

I don't know why it was locked, so unlocked it.  Enjoy!  ;D

Offline umtauscher

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 06:22:33 am »
Thank you all, for your input. I think as MCV has made a decision about supporting both UI's this voting is not needed any more.
I am very impressed about the fact, that our concern really helped them to reconsider, but I am very concerned about how much manpower goes into redesigning this especially in designing another UI(4).

Anyway thanks again.

Umtauscher

Offline B0SST0N

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 09:53:34 am »

I am very impressed about the fact, that our concern really helped them to reconsider, but I am very concerned about how much manpower goes into redesigning this especially in designing another UI(4).

I think most people would agree that UI2 is not responsive enough and we would like to see more features, I think the UI does need to be redesigned. UI3 has gotten better with 1.1.228, it is far from perfect but it is getting more responsive and less annoying. Getting the community together to brainstorm about UI4 is a great idea.

With the latest UI3 release, I can definitely see a day when I prefer UI3 over UI2. However, I think flash in general will hamper its overall efficiency and responsiveness... I hope I am am wrong and MCV can speed it up significantly. Already, I think 1.1.228 is almost twice as fast as 1.1.113.

Offline wseverino

• Global Moderator
  • Da Man, Da Myth, Da Legend - in his own mind!
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 12:42:25 pm »
I just upgraded to 1.1.228 while the performance is better, IMHO it is still not where it needs to be. Each time I upgrade I create a back up from UI2 in case I need to go back. The first thing I test is how long it takes for a command to process such as a light coming on. I always pick the light closest to Vera. In this case its my Bonus room light. In UI2 its 3 seconds. In the new UI3 its 9 seconds. The lag has to be a result from the resources that FLASH is taking up.
My ZWave Network: Too friggin big to list.....

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 02:07:07 pm »
@wseverino  If I try my light that is closest to Vera, using UI3 228, it is instantaneous.  I can't even count seconds it is so fast, but it may be because I have a relatively light network of devices (12-15).
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline B0SST0N

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 02:09:41 pm »
It takes 9 seconds to from when you press a button to turn on a light!? Most of the time it takes less than a second for mine to respond... sometimes 2-3 seconds if vera is doing something else.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:11:59 pm by B0SST0N »

Offline michaelk

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 02:55:02 pm »
I think you guys have something else going on- if it took me 9 seconds (or even 3)- in general no matter what I do I get nearly instantaneous response with UI2. Both from local.findvera.com on a web browser or even home buddy on my droid over the internet.

Offline wseverino

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »
I have almost 50 + devices on the network so that probably aggregates the issue. 

Offline umtauscher

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 05:56:51 am »
in general no matter what I do I get nearly instantaneous response with UI2. Both from local.findvera.com on a web browser or even home buddy on my droid over the internet.
Hi Michaelk,

I would like to have that too. Could you describe your setup a little bit.

My motion sensor sometimes switches instantaneously, sometimes vera needs about 30 sec. to react and switch the lights on.
I think this has something to do what task are running in the backgroud at that moment.

Thanks
Umtauscher

Offline michaelk

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 02:52:22 pm »
Nothing fancy- I have the asus router vera. I use it as my wireless router- it's connected striaght to my cable modem. I set a few firewall rules and a couple 'static' dhcp assignments in the router advanced page. and I use WPA.

I have installed the luup weather plugin  and the luup daytime sensor.

As far as z-wave devices:
1- act dimmer switch
3- act relay switches for flourescent dimmers.
1- intermacte dimmer switch
1- OLD STYLE act - dimming wall wart
1- intermatic dimming wall wart
1- intermatic screw in light switch (the kind you screw in a bulb socket and then screw the bulb into that)
1- intermatic outdoor timer
2- act - NEW STYLE load sensing - dimming wall warts (one that came with a schlage ling started kit that I use at my office, and one that i purchased as act branded- t
1- trane thermostat
1- of the homeseer branded 3in 1  sensors- operating on battery.

vera is in my basement at the center of my house- most of my devices happen to be clustered around the center core of my house with a few out at the ends. So generally everything has a bunch of neighbors.

Offline umtauscher

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 05:18:49 am »
Hi michaelk,

thanks for your answer. How did you get the neighbours in the setup? Did they get registered automaically or did you do something like "heal my network" or did you enter them manually?
In my network there is not one node that has any neighbours in their settings. Could that be the cause of my slow responseivness?
Thanks

Umtauscher

Offline michaelk

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 03:46:22 pm »
I'm pretty clueless- all I know if from what i learned reading the homeseer boards years back and lately (the past few weeks) these boards.

But logically seems to me that if there are no neighbors and a device is farther from vera than there might be times when the signal might not get through. But if the signal had a choice of routes via outher neighbors it would have a better chance of getting through on the first send and wouldn't need to retry till it got through.

I have never repaired my network. Just set it up by removing the dongle from vera and including devices at there installed locations. I typically added just 1 or 2 devices at a time. at times I just added them, and some times I had to exclude them first and then add them.

Not sure why some of us get lots of neighbors but others seem to get none at all.  I would GUESS that all the routing and whatnot is handled inside the dongle and that vera merely reports what the dongle says. So maybe it's a dongle issue.

My vera is just a few weeks old. So version 2.78 L:1  - I HAVE NOT done the dongle firmware upgrade- my dongle still blinks regularly.

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 08:39:38 pm »
FYI, I had a chance to test findvera from the East Coast to West Coast, using hotel wireless and the delay was only 11 seconds on one try and only 8 seconds on the other.  Like I said, it is almost instant at home for most devices, most of the time.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline wseverino

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 10:50:47 pm »
yes but look at the size of your network........imagine trying the test with 50+ devices on your network.