Author Topic: Irrigation control with relay switches  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Radjin

Irrigation control with relay switches
« on: April 02, 2015, 09:13:16 am »
After looking at all the options, the simplest seems to be using multi-relay switches.  I watched a video where a rancher used outdoor plug-in z-wave devices to control sprinklers throughout his ranch. He found that the switch would work with 24vAC. Running with this idea I purchased three Vision ZL7432US dual relay units. I took the old 24vAC transformer from an existing controller and connected it to the power leads on the relay and paired it with Vera and it works perfectly. I can send the 24vAC from the power leg to either output leg. The units are tiny and it only takes two units to run my system however I purchased and installed a third for expansion. I don't doubt there are other posts here about this but I have not found them so thought I would post to see if anyone else had better ideas.

UPDATE: I added a photo showing everything ready to go except wiring to the valves which will terminate on the right side of the terminal blocks. It turned out more compact than any irrigation controller available.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:27:04 pm by Radjin »

Offline col8eral

Re: Irrigation control with relay switches
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:02:16 am »
This looks really interesting.  I'd like to do something similar.  I have seen 12v DC solenoid water values that fit garden hose.  Could you explain your system a little more as I dont understand how the wiring works.  Thanks.

Offline Radjin

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 10:47:02 am »
In the photo I installed three duel relay units. The way they work is they have a hot and neutral AC wires. The hot or black wire not only powers the internal electronics but ties through the contacts of each relay output to another wire;  it's this output wire from each relay that powers the sprinkler.  All the white wires (neutral) tie together in one way or another. In my case I use the terminal blocks as you can see in the photos. The source AC is simply my old sprinkler 120vac to 24vac transformer.

Offline rafale77

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 12:58:33 pm »
Interesting, I wish I had known sooner. I was looking for a low voltage AC switch for something else. amazing that the relay can be powered with 24V AC. It is the same relay as the monoprice one by the way
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (138 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 205 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 02:43:55 pm »
I guess I look at 3 z-wave relays at 40 to 44.00 each, so 120.00 to 135.00.

I bought my Open Sprinkler for 99.00
Has internet weather, built in programming, phone apps, web UI, vera plugin, 8 zones vs. 6 with optional expansion and more.
You menchined size, and open sprinkler fits in your palm and is about 2 inch thick.

I'm trying to see the benefit and unless your not using it for sprinklers I can't see much. What am I missing?

Offline rafale77

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 12:56:31 am »
For me it is because I only need one channel. Open Sprinkler is actually a $180-200 once you make it wifi and add shipping (I am not sure how you got it to $99) which ads bulk since you need to add an AP.
Overall it is a $29 (for the single relay) investment (Monoprice shipping included, I actually bought the dual for $27 on sale a while ago) Vs ~$200 and a much easier installation and integration into the vera since it is only a relay. I don't want a dedicated phone app just for irrigation, I have too many already.
openLuup (97 devices, 134 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (138 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 205 devices, 20 scenes , 2 app) Bridged to Homekit and Alexa. VeraPlus ExtRooted!

Offline hek

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:18:30 am »
This is also an option if you're running Vera:

http://www.mysensors.org/build/irrigation

Offline rafale77

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 12:00:12 am »
This is also an option if you're running Vera:

http://www.mysensors.org/build/irrigation

Too much work....  ;)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 03:55:21 pm »
For me it is because I only need one channel. Open Sprinkler is actually a $180-200 once you make it wifi and add shipping (I am not sure how you got it to $99) which ads bulk since you need to add an AP.
Overall it is a $29 (for the single relay) investment (Monoprice shipping included, I actually bought the dual for $27 on sale a while ago) Vs ~$200 and a much easier installation and integration into the vera since it is only a relay. I don't want a dedicated phone app just for irrigation, I have too many already.

Yeah one channel is a different story.

I have an Open Srinkler DIY kit. it was 99.00 no tax and 5.00 shipping so was actually 105.00 out the door. I already had a irrigation (rainbird) before and I use the same box and power supply that was already mounted on the wall. I hardwired my internet as I do with any permanent devices.

Vera integration is: install plugin and enter IP address of Open Sprinkler. (I stopped using this as I had no gain from it being in vera)
Phone app is optional and not required. Open Sprinkler has a full WEB UI that you can use for setup and timers, weather, and what ever you want to add or not to make it a smart system. For example in california we are in a drought and has special restrictions. With the latest update this was added in helping users comply if they choose to.