0 (0%)
HTML5
36 (85.7%)
QT Embedded
1 (2.4%)
Other
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: UI4 - What Platform for Development?  (Read 11247 times)

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
Re: UI4 - What Platform for Development?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 12:53:37 am »
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite, Plus), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 01:00:16 am »
SQ keeps saying that their app will be available "soon" and for free, so I would say that for UI4 iPhone usability should not be priority. I don't think many people would want to do setup tasks (which I think the SQ app doesn't do) on an iPhone or even a iPad, so the SQ app should address the iPhone users' needs. I assume the developer of the Andriod app will be updating to be compatible with the latest Vera build soon as well.

As I read it - in many cases (for day to day use) there is no need for a fancy UI on Vera itself. There are (or will be, or should be) specialized UIs for devices - iPhone, iPad, Android etc. I would personally vote for Qt interface, but not inside Vera... There is still need for a simple(-istic) UI for setup, which is used once or when a new device is added.
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite, Plus), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 08:33:43 am »
SQ keeps saying that their app will be available "soon" and for free, so I would say that for UI4 iPhone usability should not be priority. I don't think many people would want to do setup tasks (which I think the SQ app doesn't do) on an iPhone or even a iPad, so the SQ app should address the iPhone users' needs. I assume the developer of the Andriod app will be updating to be compatible with the latest Vera build soon as well.

As I read it - in many cases (for day to day use) there is no need for a fancy UI on Vera itself. There are (or will be, or should be) specialized UIs for devices - iPhone, iPad, Android etc. I would personally vote for Qt interface, but not inside Vera... There is still need for a simple(-istic) UI for setup, which is used once or when a new device is added.

I totally agree, but my point is the setup UI doesn't need to be made to work well on an iPhone or other mobile device. I would imagine that setup would be something one would do with a desktop browser. I'm saying UI4 should focus on the desktop browser experience and let native apps take care of the mobile device experience. I could see adding a simple mobile interface as UI4.1.

Offline michaelk

• Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 01:07:51 pm »
I'm not quite joe sixpack- becasue I like gadgets so I am somewhat of an early adopter- but i really dont know much about any of the above.

So to vote for joe sixpack I'd say we dont give a rats butt as long as it "just works"- i guess some of the above matters if it just works or not. But really that to me is the overriding point. the end user shouldn't have to know what the hec is going on- it should just work when they want it to. I dont care how MCV gets there.

I'll let you guys debate how to make it just work.   ;D

Offline Maartenvt

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 04:37:05 pm »
I don't care. It just have to be simple, easy and fast. Use 3th part software/apps (like SQ iphone app) as GUI's for Vera.
Vera Edge (Firmware rev. 1.7.2406), 1x Düwi INTERACT³ light switch, 1x  ZIR010 Motion Sensor.

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 05:26:39 pm »
another vote for lightweight fast and simple
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline mmcfarlane

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 09:48:54 am »
fast, simple, reliable, support OSX Safari