Author Topic: News about HomeKit and Vera  (Read 181750 times)

Offline Albeebe

• Sr. Newbie
Re: News about HomeKit and Vera
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 09:46:24 pm »
Ok heres the code to try HomeKit with your Vera!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cfd1q4cwy8ssof/homekit.zip?dl=0

You'll need to install NodeJS on your machine, and it must be on the same network as your Vera

1. Unzip the file
2. Edit the app.js file and enter the IP address of your Vera on line 11
3. Go to the command line and cd into the directory that contains the unzipped files
4. Type: npm run start

This should run the homekit bridge, connect to your vera, and expose any lights, dimmable lights, and locks to HomeKit.

Next you need to download an app that lets you manage HomeKit devices. I found an app called MyTouchHome in the app store for $1.99 that lets you add HomeKit devices on your network to your "home" that you create in the app. Once you create a "home" you need to tap on the "+ Accessory" button. If everythings working, all your Vera devices will show up in the list.

Tap on a device and you'll be prompted to enter a password.  The password is ALWAYS going to be 03145154

*notes*
1. HomeKit only allows devices that have a unique name. If you have a bunch of lights called "ceiling light" only one of the lights will show up in the list.
2. Siri is a bit finicky so you might have to experiment by saying "TURN OFF CEILING LIGHT" or "TURN CEILING LIGHT OFF". If you create a room using HomeKit and add the device to a room try saying "TURN THE BATHROOM CEILING LIGHT OFF".  You have to play around with it.
3. I didn't test unlocking/locking doors but it should work. However i think you need to say things like "TURN ON THE FRONT DOOR LOCK" or "TURN OFF THE FRONT DOOR LOCK" instead of saying unlock the front door.

Good luck, let me know if it works for you. What I made is just a very super early alpha version so no guarantees.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:47:58 pm by Albeebe »

Offline TomBear

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 01:41:19 am »
Hi,

I cant get it working, there is a debug log:

0 info it worked if it ends with ok
1 verbose cli [ 'node', '/usr/local/bin/npm', 'run', 'start' ]
2 info using npm@2.7.4
3 info using node@v0.12.2
4 verbose run-script [ 'prestart', 'start', 'poststart' ]
5 info prestart VeraHomeKitBridge@0.0.0
6 info start VeraHomeKitBridge@0.0.0
7 verbose unsafe-perm in lifecycle true
8 info VeraHomeKitBridge@0.0.0 Failed to exec start script
9 verbose stack Error: VeraHomeKitBridge@0.0.0 start: `node app.js`
9 verbose stack Exit status 1
9 verbose stack     at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/utils/lifecycle.js:213:16)
9 verbose stack     at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:110:17)
9 verbose stack     at ChildProcess.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/utils/spawn.js:14:12)
9 verbose stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:110:17)
9 verbose stack     at maybeClose (child_process.js:1015:16)
9 verbose stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:1087:5)
10 verbose pkgid VeraHomeKitBridge@0.0.0
11 verbose cwd /Users/**********/Desktop/homekit
12 error Darwin 14.3.0
13 error argv "node" "/usr/local/bin/npm" "run" "start"
14 error node v0.12.2
15 error npm  v2.7.4
16 error code ELIFECYCLE
17 error VeraHomeKitBridge@0.0.0 start: `node app.js`
17 error Exit status 1
18 error Failed at the VeraHomeKitBridge@0.0.0 start script 'node app.js'.
18 error This is most likely a problem with the VeraHomeKitBridge package,
18 error not with npm itself.
18 error Tell the author that this fails on your system:
18 error     node app.js
18 error You can get their info via:
18 error     npm owner ls VeraHomeKitBridge
18 error There is likely additional logging output above.
19 verbose exit [ 1, true ]

I?m using osx yosemite with latest nodejs installed from http://nodejs.org/ .
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:43:08 am by TomBear »

Offline racarter

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 06:21:17 am »
Got the same error running on a Raspberry Pi 2
Indigo, Vera Edge/Datamine, Everspring and TKBHOME socket switches, SM103 door detectors, Homepro ZRP210 appliance modules, Fibaro relay switches, EZMotion 3 in 1 sensors, Heatmiser thermostats, Hikvision DVR/CCTV, Sonos, Texecom, Diax motorised deadlock.

Offline Albeebe

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 09:52:56 am »
Try this... Following the instructions to install HomeBridge at https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge

If you can get that installed and running, copy and paste the contents of my zip file into the homebridge directory and replace any file that it says exists.

Then try running it again and hopefully it works. Basically what I did was modify the HomeBridge code I found on GitHub so that it works with Vera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online amg0

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 11:03:43 am »
can VERA runs node.js, can we use VERA itself as the bridge ?

Offline andrewgarfield

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 03:49:18 pm »
I was able to get the server running and the devices to show up in that app you recommended.  But whenever I tell siri to do anything she says it's been done but it hasn't.

And I get an error on the node console saying something like:
Error 'Error: connect ECONNREFUSED' turning the Dining room on/off:  undefined

Any suggestions?

Offline andrewgarfield

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 03:56:55 pm »
I figured it out.  The default 10.0.0.20 IP is hard coded into the device file.  Once I changed this to my device's IP it worked like a charm.

Offline andrewgarfield

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 04:09:38 pm »
Have to say this is an AWESOME first attempt!

It has some time to go before it's "ready" for less experienced hands (which I am actually one, as I know next to nothing about NodeJS), but this could be fully functional with a bit of work.

If you don't have one already, maybe create a repo on github so that people can download easily and contribute?

Offline Albeebe

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 08:04:46 pm »
Awesome glad you got to experience it! I totally hacked it together to see if it was possible and I quickly put the code out for others to try out.  The entire thing needs to be scrapped and totally rebuilt from the ground up. I think I'll try and do that this week and get it setup on GitHub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline andrewgarfield

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 03:03:47 pm »
Yeah, it's great.  I'm going to continue to run what you have right now until newer code is available.

Once it's on github I'll see if i can contribute to it.  Can't guarantee anything (full time job, wife, two kids, etc) but it's something I'm interested in doing.  I had previously written the SiriProxy plugin that allowed voice control (before iOS 7 changed the Siri protocol) so i'm somewhat familiar with this kind of work.

Thanks again!

Offline markbawden

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 06:18:35 pm »
Ok, I've not used Siri, but I've knocked together a really simple Apple watch app that controls my lights, heating and scenes and TV via Vera. if you can programme lua or JavaScript you can use swift and interface builder and do this in about 30 mins. Most of it is hard coded for my house, but it would be trivial for someone to make it universal.  Works great in the emulator, can't wait to see it running on my watch when it arrives.

Home kit looks great as a glue to make it easier to get other devices working - that can only be a good thing - I gave up on micasaverde properly supporting my wave thermostat after about a year of owning it and rolled my own. Apple home kit can only benefit the HA scene. probably like many others on this site I haven't touched Vera's interface to actually control stuff for years - the exception being PLEG which finally filled a gap Vera had from day one - one that micasaverde should have filled. All controls are done via iPhone app, or wall panels. Vera is just the dumb box in my loft.

Offline shay

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 10:46:46 pm »
Also, there is work being done on "official" HomeKit bridges, such as this one: http://z-wavealliance.org/first-z-wave-to-apple-homekit-bridge-demonstrated/
Is  Z-Way a typo?

Offline intveltr

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 08:44:56 am »
Their gateway software is called Z-Way I think. 
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline Jacob

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 01:35:08 pm »
Gents,

As no programmer I miss the competence to produce an application.
So I did use the SiriProxy by Plamoni until switching to IOS7 and had enormous fun with it.
Also I think the potential of these possibilities may in general be underestimated.
Probably building a legal bridge may be questionable because of license issues?.

Somewhere in the Apple introduction on Homekit it is specifically mentioned it interfaces with Apps. (software)
Verification of my assumption that an App developer can include Homekit would be appreciated.
Possibility to request Siri to turn on a light via e.g. Homewave if intveltr manages to incorporate it in his great App would be fantastic
 ;)

Jacob

Offline boojew

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 09:43:54 pm »
Got this working with some lights - but only to turn them on. For some reason - siri doesnt seem to understand "turn off" for me.. which is annoying to say the least. Also, it complains it cant talk to my lock, but the lock and unlock unfunction appear to be fine and if I call them manually they work. Going to see if I can hunt down the issue..

oh and yes. There is an artifact in the code. In the accessories files, the IP is hard coded. This should be changed to the variable from app.js