We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: News about HomeKit and Vera  (Read 307325 times)

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
Re: News about HomeKit and Vera
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2015, 12:03:55 am »
@ACN- thanks for sharing the synology install notes.

Besides the tips you shared, do you remember doing anything else to fix the avahi-daemon issues? I've tried all those tips, but am still getting similar errors you initially reported.

Thanks in advance

*** WARNING *** The program 'node' uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
*** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
*** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=node>
*** WARNING *** The program 'node' called 'DNSServiceRegister()' which is not supported (or only supported partially) in the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
*** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=node&f=DNSServiceRegister>

These are not errors. They are warnings and are normal. If it is hanging at this stage, it is because it cannot find the vera. Either your vera is off or you did not put the correct ip address of the vera in the config file.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline dlca1

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2015, 07:18:48 am »
Finally got it working on synology 412+ using the tips shared by @acn

In case anybody else is running into crashes at launch due to some DNS/avahi errors, the following worked for me.

remove 'rlimit-nproc = 3' from /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf

Found from links at
https://github.com/stephen/airsonos/issues/22
https://github.com/lxc/lxc/issues/25

Thank you @anhman, @acn, @albeebe, @hackworth and everybody else to get this working.

@ACN- thanks for sharing the synology install notes.

Besides the tips you shared, do you remember doing anything else to fix the avahi-daemon issues? I've tried all those tips, but am still getting similar errors you initially reported.

Thanks in advance

*** WARNING *** The program 'node' uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
*** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=node>
*** WARNING *** The program 'node' called 'DNSServiceRegister()' which is not supported (or only supported partially) in the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
*** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=node&f=DNSServiceRegister>

These are not errors. They are warnings and are normal. If it is hanging at this stage, it is because it cannot find the vera. Either your vera is off or you did not put the correct ip address of the vera in the config file.

Offline acn

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2015, 07:49:22 am »
root@DiskStation:/node# which python
root@DiskStation:/node#

It just goes to the next line and is blank

Hi, this is what you should see:

Code: [Select]
root@hive:/home/VeraHomeKitBridge# which python
/usr/bin/python

When you exit debian chroot you'll all the other modules working, but outside debian. I cannot help you with running this script on the basic Synology shell; that's what I tried at first, but after too many errors and troubles mainly with building nodejs, I found this other way of using debian chroot.

Install python on debian chroot session:
apt-get install python
Look around the web for solutions for errors that you may encounter, that's what I did.

Offline acn

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2015, 08:39:16 am »
Finally got it working on synology 412+ using the tips shared by @acn

In case anybody else is running into crashes at launch due to some DNS/avahi errors, the following worked for me.

remove 'rlimit-nproc = 3' from /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf

Glad you got it working and that solves the avahi issue, thanks! I'll add this to the tips. I haven't spent much time on trying to make this run in the background and on boot though, if someone gets it working do share!

In the meantime, can anyone shed some light on how to user 'forever' or something else to run "npm run start" in the background? I tried 'forever start app.js' but the homekit devices weren't being recognized this way. Also, when running forever, which process should I be looking for to kill it?

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2015, 09:59:42 am »
Dimming lights work, just had to use the right sentence for Siri.
Lock also work, I verified that vera is actually responding to a lock unlock command from the bridge but somehow siri does not. I still have to use turn on, turn off the door.
Other than that it is pretty nifty.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline C7Z51

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2015, 10:49:18 am »
Thank you Albeebe, Hackworth, Anhman and ACN

I got it working on the Synology following the updated instructions ACN posted. Does anybody else experience a delay with some lights? I have non-dimmable kitchen lights and those turn on and off instantly. The dimmable dining lights can take up to a couple of minutes for them to turn on or off.

Everything looks good code wise:

Turning on the Kitchen Lights
The Kitchen Lights has been turned on
{ characteristics: [ { aid: 1, iid: 10, value: false } ] }
Characteristics.js:NotEventEnabled
Characteristics.js:updateCharacteristicValue
Turning off the Dining Lights
{ characteristics: [ { aid: 1, iid: 9, value: false } ] }
Turning off the Kitchen Lights
The Kitchen Lights has been turned off
The Dining Lights has been turned off

I'm going to search the net and try to find a code to get this to auto-start with a Synology restart.

Offline slief

« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2015, 11:16:57 am »
Thank you Albeebe, Hackworth, Anhman and ACN

I got it working on the Synology following the updated instructions ACN posted. Does anybody else experience a delay with some lights? I have non-dimmable kitchen lights and those turn on and off instantly. The dimmable dining lights can take up to a couple of minutes for them to turn on or off.

Everything looks good code wise:

Turning on the Kitchen Lights
The Kitchen Lights has been turned on
{ characteristics: [ { aid: 1, iid: 10, value: false } ] }
Turning off the Dining Lights
{ characteristics: [ { aid: 1, iid: 9, value: false } ] }
Turning off the Kitchen Lights
The Kitchen Lights has been turned off
The Dining Lights has been turned off

I'm going to search the net and try to find a code to get this to auto-start with a Synology restart.

Off topic but is your user name related to the Stingray? If so, I think we have something in common.

Offline C7Z51

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2015, 11:19:16 am »
Off topic but is your user name related to the Stingray? If so, I think we have something in common.

Yep, I have a yellow 2015.

Offline slief

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2015, 12:08:20 pm »

Yep, I have a yellow 2015.

Sweet! I have a white '14 Z51 and was really torn between the white and the yellow. I already have a yellow '68 Camaro so I opted for the white instead. Any chance you are on the Corvette forum?

Offline C7Z51

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2015, 04:13:47 pm »
I was able to get the service to stay running in the background using forever and I tried forever-service but once I restart the DSM I have to reinstall Avahi (apt-get install --reinstall avahi-daemon). Therefore I don't know if forever-service works or not, have never used it before.

Code for forever
npm install forever -g
forever start -l forever.log -o out.log -e err.log app.js

To stop the service
forever stop app.js
To start the service again, you need to add the append to log character -a
forever start -a -l forever.log -o out.log -e err.log app.js
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:42:12 pm by C7Z51 »

Offline acn

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2015, 04:17:03 pm »
I was able to get the service to stay running in the background using forever and I tried forever-service but once I restart the DSM I have to reinstall Avahi (apt-get install --reinstall avahi-daemon). Therefore I don't know if forever-service works or not, have never used it before.

Code for forever
npm install forever -g
forever start -l forever.log -o out.log -e err.log app.js

Thanks for this, I'll try it later as well. I am also trying another approach though, which is to create a Docker container for the HomeKitBridge, this way it will be manageable from the frontend.

Offline acn

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2015, 04:19:55 pm »
@C7Z51, did you make the change suggested by @dlca1?

- To repair avahi-daemon, change '/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf' from
  rlimit-nproc = 3
To
  #rlimit-nproc = 3

Offline C7Z51

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2015, 04:23:39 pm »
@C7Z51, did you make the change suggested by @dlca1?

- To repair avahi-daemon, change '/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf' from
  rlimit-nproc = 3
To
  #rlimit-nproc = 3

Yes, I commented it out and I just verified again

Offline C7Z51

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2015, 05:27:20 pm »
Saying "open the garage door" closes it and saying "close the garage door" opens it. Is anyone else having this problem? I have a Linear GD00Z Garage door sensor.

Offline tregaron

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2015, 05:51:51 pm »
Thanks all for suggesting this, and to the many people (including ACN for his instructions) I have my Synology DS215i working as a hub, which means Siri responds to commands!

Dimming and on/off for Hue and Z-Wave devices work.

Scenes work (with "Turn on <scene name>")

Hue colours - "Turn Wall Lights Blue" turns into "Turn Wall Lights custom" and just turns the lights on.

Door Locks (Yale) - Siri turns whatever I say as the action into "custom ON", which confusingly /unlocks/ the door. So that half works, but still...

I love the convenience and accuracy of Siri's recognition; it feels like the future is arriving slowly - it almost makes it worth the hours it took to get it working!

I had great difficulty with various bits, I didn't really understand what I was doing; on the plus side it shows that it's solvable by a dunce, just keep hacking at it, one error message at a time.  ::)

At one point I needed to add the line "proc /proc proc defaults 0 0" to fstab; I also ended up installing "NVM" which allowed me to specify the version to upgrade nodejs from 0.10 to 0.12.