We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: News about HomeKit and Vera  (Read 307812 times)

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
Re: News about HomeKit and Vera
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2015, 05:53:29 pm »
Saying "open the garage door" closes it and saying "close the garage door" opens it. Is anyone else having this problem? I have a Linear GD00Z Garage door sensor.

Look at my post a few posts up. I fixed it too by changing the accessory garagedoor js file.

If you are trying to make it run in the background you can use "screen". I actually prefer this as opposed to making it start at boot up. It forces me to start it manually by I can keep it running after I close my SSH session.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline Hackworth

« Reply #151 on: June 10, 2015, 05:54:19 pm »
@C7Z51 - Yeah, that's a known bug from earlier in this thread, I just haven't had a chance to work on it after spending several hours on the stupid garage doors. I'll fix it in the next few days, unless you want to send me a pull request on Github with a fix ;-)

Offline Albeebe

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2015, 07:23:12 pm »
So I'm at WWDC (apples developer conference) and I had a chance to talk to the engineers who work on HomeKit.

Basically they told me this "hack" we're using to get Siri to work with Vera won't be working for to much longer. They don't necessarily care to much that we've been able to do this since we're just messing around.

They said we won't be able to bridge Vera to homekit using software. Vera would have to officially work with apple and incorporate a security chip in order to work with HomeKit.

They don't have any plans to open up the homekit protocol at all, and there's no chance that people will be able to create homekit devices without working with Apple and incorporating this security chip.

Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline C7Z51

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2015, 07:30:52 pm »
Pull request sent

Offline Hackworth

« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2015, 08:05:21 pm »
@C7Z51 - Thanks! Unfortunately it's not that simple. Basically locks are opposite of switches, so you have to consider the urn of the device you're sending it to. I've pushed the changes to the repo for those of you that need the fix.

If you're curious about the technical details, here's the commit:

https://github.com/Hackworth/VeraHomeKitBridge/commit/3831288839f302fe8e3c96bc7c6a9cab79fe92a7

Edit: I'm impressed you apparently joined GitHub just for that!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:12:58 pm by Hackworth »

Offline C7Z51

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2015, 08:16:41 pm »
Yeah i'm a noob, I just google search and try different things, i'm not a programmer at all. Figured I would try to make it as easy as possible for you to do your magic. So the Garage door is treated as a lock?

Offline Hackworth

« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2015, 08:20:38 pm »
That's okay, I have no idea what I'm doing. I've never touched JavaScript before last week. It's all black magic to me.

So, Garage Door's are SUPPOSED to be a switch, just like a light, but I have a plugin that makes it a lock in my particular setup. So, I spent probably way too much time making it happy with both lock and switch devices on the Vera side because, you know, I'm special or something.

Thanks again! :)

Offline C7Z51

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2015, 08:34:58 pm »
How do I just pull and replace that one file with git? is that possible?

Offline Hackworth

« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2015, 08:41:44 pm »
Uh, why do you need to? A 'git pull' in the repo will update everything. You shouldn't need to keep track of what file changed.

Edit: If you were editing a file and need to revert the whole thing back, you can do a "git reset --hard"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:44:22 pm by Hackworth »

Offline C7Z51

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2015, 08:48:41 pm »
Uh, why do you need to? A 'git pull' in the repo will update everything. You shouldn't need to keep track of what file changed.

Edit: If you were editing a file and need to revert the whole thing back, you can do a "git reset --hard"

;D that was easy, no wonder I couldn't find anything online, I was searching for something stupidly simple.

Offline sgruby

« Reply #160 on: June 10, 2015, 10:32:22 pm »
They said we won't be able to bridge Vera to homekit using software. Vera would have to officially work with apple and incorporate a security chip in order to work with HomeKit.

They don't have any plans to open up the homekit protocol at all, and there's no chance that people will be able to create homekit devices without working with Apple and incorporating this security chip.

Interesting. Did you see this Tweet from Vera? https://twitter.com/VeraLovers/status/607979550270746624

My direct question about Vera supporting HomeKit is that they are going to support it! Will it require new hardware? No idea.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2015, 12:12:36 am »
@C7Z51 - Thanks! Unfortunately it's not that simple. Basically locks are opposite of switches, so you have to consider the urn of the device you're sending it to. I've pushed the changes to the repo for those of you that need the fix.

If you're curious about the technical details, here's the commit:

https://github.com/Hackworth/VeraHomeKitBridge/commit/3831288839f302fe8e3c96bc7c6a9cab79fe92a7

Edit: I'm impressed you apparently joined GitHub just for that!

I see what you did... So you really never wrote code before last week? This is not bad. You basically made the variable "unlocked" a configurable that switches the binary depending on the type of device from the query. I think I just took a shortcut just to make mine work. Nice job!
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline acn

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2015, 05:02:29 am »
Just wanted to let you know that with iOS 9 (beta 1 at least) all device access stopped, there's no activity on the HAP server, I have removed a device to re-add it but nothing works though the server is listening.

Update:
So apparently the guys responsible for HAP-NodeJS had noticed this and have made some changes so that it will be possible to use it with iOS 9.

https://github.com/KhaosT/HAP-NodeJS/issues/69#issuecomment-110261466

Update:
I cloned HAP-NodeJS directly from github, rebuilt it and now it's working [sort of]. I had to delete and re-add devices, and also remove all the files under ./persist.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:32:52 am by acn »

Offline acn

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2015, 09:21:03 pm »
@Hackworth, I've sent a pull request for an additional accessory, to control Window Covers. I used the code from the light dimmers for this. I think it's ok, but as it's my first time doing anything on github have a look at it.

Commands are:
"Turn Off ..." to close
"Turn On ..." to open
"Dim ... to ... %" to set intermediate level

Also, for reference, I have found that Siri in Portuguese is also there, but the commands are very flimsy. When I request something to be done in the Bedroom, a kind of placeholder  appears (bed_room) instead of the actual word.

Offline Hackworth

« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2015, 09:27:48 pm »
@acn,

Copying my comments on the pull request here:

So I've merged this in for now, but it looks like it's just the same urn and everything from a dimmable light, so I really don't see why you've created a separate WindowCovering.js file instead of just calling createDimmableLight(device) for category 8 devices. Can you explain the reasoning?