We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: News about HomeKit and Vera  (Read 307618 times)

Offline Hackworth

Re: News about HomeKit and Vera
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2015, 02:42:43 pm »
Bertin,

Thanks for confirming my instructions work perfectly. I see that you've correctly identified the pin code in the config file.

I do not, however, know why you're choosing to open your MBP to security vulnerabilities by running as root since no port it opens is between 1 and 1024.

Cheers,
Hack

Offline Bertin

« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2015, 01:38:04 am »
Hi Hack,

No problem   :)

I ran the sudo command because during the initial phase I got errors stating that I don't have permission to edit files.
I guess its not necessary though... I messed around on my mac so much its just getting a bit confused.

Thank you all for the great work.... Now to find a way to run this on the vera itself  8)

Offline Bertin

« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2015, 04:19:02 am »
Hi,

So I got this working on the raspberry pi as well.

The installation was quite slow but the response to SIRI commands is very snappy.

Although, when I added a device using an homekit compatible app, it failed somehow. Now trying to add it I get an error that "Home configuration has changed".
So maybe I should delete all detected devices.

How does the server create and store devices?

I don't want to re-install and compile everything again... Did I mention the PI is slow.

Offline Hackworth

« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2015, 10:25:23 am »
The persist folder, you can delete that to have it recreate devices.

Offline kenray536

« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2015, 04:28:56 pm »
Hi,

So I got this working on the raspberry pi as well.

The installation was quite slow but the response to SIRI commands is very snappy.

Although, when I added a device using an homekit compatible app, it failed somehow. Now trying to add it I get an error that "Home configuration has changed".
So maybe I should delete all detected devices.

How does the server create and store devices?

I don't want to re-install and compile everything again... Did I mention the PI is slow.

I'm trying to set this up on a Raspberry Pi 2 and I'm getting an error saying "-bash: npm: command not found".

Is there a called nom that should be created during the install? I don't have one in my VeraHomeKitBridge directory.

I tried to use these instructions from Hackworth's Github. Is this what you ran to set it up?

sudo apt-get install build-essential libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev
curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_0.12 | sudo bash -
git clone --recursive https://github.com/Hackworth/VeraHomeKitBridge.git
cd VeraHomeKitBridge
npm install
cd lib/HAP-NodeJS
npm install
cd -
Edit config.json entering your Vera's IP address

npm run start
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:33:29 pm by kenray536 »
Vera 3 1.5.677 - DSC Envisalink 3 - Wemo - Philips Hue - Harmony - Wink Hub - Sonos - Echo Vera Bridge - HomeKit Bridge - GE - AEON Labs - Evolve - Leviton - Schlage - Honeywell - Ring Doorbell - Eagle Rainforest Bidgely

Offline kenray536

« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2015, 05:50:06 pm »
I figured out my problem I had to manually install node js as root. Ran sudo su to change to superuser first.
Vera 3 1.5.677 - DSC Envisalink 3 - Wemo - Philips Hue - Harmony - Wink Hub - Sonos - Echo Vera Bridge - HomeKit Bridge - GE - AEON Labs - Evolve - Leviton - Schlage - Honeywell - Ring Doorbell - Eagle Rainforest Bidgely

Offline kenray536

« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2015, 11:59:30 pm »
Ok heres the code to try HomeKit with your Vera!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cfd1q4cwy8ssof/homekit.zip?dl=0

You'll need to install NodeJS on your machine, and it must be on the same network as your Vera

1. Unzip the file
2. Edit the app.js file and enter the IP address of your Vera on line 11
3. Go to the command line and cd into the directory that contains the unzipped files
4. Type: npm run start

This should run the homekit bridge, connect to your vera, and expose any lights, dimmable lights, and locks to HomeKit.

Next you need to download an app that lets you manage HomeKit devices. I found an app called MyTouchHome in the app store for $1.99 that lets you add HomeKit devices on your network to your "home" that you create in the app. Once you create a "home" you need to tap on the "+ Accessory" button. If everythings working, all your Vera devices will show up in the list.

Tap on a device and you'll be prompted to enter a password.  The password is ALWAYS going to be 03145154

*notes*
1. HomeKit only allows devices that have a unique name. If you have a bunch of lights called "ceiling light" only one of the lights will show up in the list.
2. Siri is a bit finicky so you might have to experiment by saying "TURN OFF CEILING LIGHT" or "TURN CEILING LIGHT OFF". If you create a room using HomeKit and add the device to a room try saying "TURN THE BATHROOM CEILING LIGHT OFF".  You have to play around with it.
3. I didn't test unlocking/locking doors but it should work. However i think you need to say things like "TURN ON THE FRONT DOOR LOCK" or "TURN OFF THE FRONT DOOR LOCK" instead of saying unlock the front door.

Good luck, let me know if it works for you. What I made is just a very super early alpha version so no guarantees.

Are these instructions still valid?
Where do I set the IP for the Vera?

Offline Hackworth

« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2015, 04:39:49 am »
No, and seriously? You pasted the answer to that two posts ago. Stop bothering us and read.

Offline Emf42783

« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2015, 01:21:05 am »
I'm using MyTouchHome and it's only letting me add one device at a time.  I have to quit the server, close the app, then restart server and open app to add each one.  Using OS X 10.10 and running iOS 9.

Offline kenray536

« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2015, 03:51:33 pm »
No, and seriously? You pasted the answer to that two posts ago. Stop bothering us and read.

My apologies, I've actually read the thread multiple times, but didn't follow that the version you created was a modified version of the original that you cleaned up and made easier to install. Thanks for doing that by the way.

I was referencing the other instructions because I wanted to install the other version to see the differences. I noticed that the original version also added Sonos and Harmony hub devices. Would it possible to add it to your version?

Thanks Hackworth!

Offline kenray536

« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2015, 03:53:48 pm »
I'm using MyTouchHome and it's only letting me add one device at a time.  I have to quit the server, close the app, then restart server and open app to add each one.  Using OS X 10.10 and running iOS 9.

I have the same issue. I have also tried adding devices using the Insteon app. I have about 75 devices/scenes so the list takes long to load and sometimes only partially loads. I can't tell if it's an issue with the app or with the server. Both MyTouchHome and Insteon behave similarly though.

Offline Hackworth

« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2015, 04:48:05 pm »
I noticed that the original version also added Sonos and Harmony hub devices. Would it possible to add it to your version?

It didn't. I think you're talking about this: https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge

You can probably run both simultaneously.

Offline rweisback

« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2015, 03:34:41 am »
Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks to Hackworth, Albeebe plus all the other guys who have made this work, its awesome and a credit to you, secondly will you guys be adding in HVAC control into this? I can try and help if needed or send my xml data for that device.

Cheers

Offline skywise

« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2015, 08:39:23 am »
I noticed that the original version also added Sonos and Harmony hub devices. Would it possible to add it to your version?

It didn't. I think you're talking about this: https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge

You can probably run both simultaneously.
Unfortunately, no, can't run both at the same time.
---
Error: dns service error: name conflict
    at Error (native)
---
Probably a avahi thing, both are trying to be the same service.
(I found home bridge first, got my nest and MyQ opener going and then discovered this one)

Thanks for the great bridge!

Offline angel333

« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2015, 07:43:06 pm »
Hi acn,
I have Eve working great with individual devices with home kit bridge but I can figure out how to get Siri to respond to the phrase "Good Morning" via home hit.  She just keeps being snarky about the time.  I've tried naming scene's or giving siri names to devices but neither works.  Googling for documentation hasn't turned up much yet either.

So, I don't know if any of you is using the "Eve" app, but a recent update popped up with a lot of new features - things like "Good Morning" / "Good night" scenes and being able to select how we want Siri to address a given accessory we're adding.

I'm not testing a lot of these things essentially because my default language is not English.

(don't forget I'm using iOS 9b1, that may also be pertinent to this)

Edit: this update is actually pretty neat, I don't know if you guys already use this or not. I basically added some actions from within Eve to these default scenes, and even though there are quirks (Eve will afterwards list these scenes with 0 actions, but in fact they are running fine), it works remarkably well.  I just say "Hey Siri, good morning." and that scene will run.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:49:04 pm by angel333 »