We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: News about HomeKit and Vera  (Read 307164 times)

Offline gregorito

Re: News about HomeKit and Vera
« Reply #300 on: November 20, 2015, 04:58:37 pm »
@gregorito

Thank you very much, your solution did the trick on the iMac  : I've been running it for 4 hours without any problem.

(For the beginners, address of the NodeJS site is : https://nodejs.org/en/ )

I'll try to install it in a Docker container. Here is an overview (in French) of this emulation system.

Does anybody has already tried to do it ?

Regards

You're welcome! It's so frustrating when no one is willing to help. I don't know anything about docker. I decided to buy RPi2 and it's running the server on it. I think it's totally worth $35

BTW. This solution DOES work remotely as well!
I can issue a command to SIRI being outside my home.
I have an  Appletv 3. I logged in to iCloud on it, then in iPhone preferences I allowed remote connection under Homekit  preferences.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:41:15 pm by gregorito »

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #301 on: November 20, 2015, 05:58:22 pm »
By the way you do not need to use the latest node.js. 5.10 actually gave me some trouble because it was incompatible with some other programs I was running. 12.7 would work just fine.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline tahitibub

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #302 on: November 22, 2015, 01:57:21 pm »
@gregorito,

FYI, I didn't manage to use the system outside my home (Siri says it didn't receive any answer from the system).

I have an iMac (OS X 10.11), an Apple TV4 and a VERA 3.

Is there a specific setting to check anywhere else than on the iPhone and the ATV ?

Regards

You're welcome! It's so frustrating when no one is willing to help. I don't know anything about docker. I decided to buy RPi2 and it's running the server on it. I think it's totally worth $35

I have an  Appletv 3. I logged in to iCloud on it, then in iPhone preferences I allowed remote connection under Homekit  preferences.

Offline gregorito

« Reply #303 on: November 23, 2015, 12:35:01 am »
Did you set the HomeKit preferences in iPhone? You go to Settings/HomeKit/Name of your home/Allow Remote Access
I use AT3, don't know the menu of ATV4 but you must be signed into iCloud using the same log in as for for iPhone iCloud. Also ATV has to be on. So in the settings for sleep, chose: Never

Let me know if that helps

@gregorito,

FYI, I didn't manage to use the system outside my home (Siri says it didn't receive any answer from the system).

I have an iMac (OS X 10.11), an Apple TV4 and a VERA 3.

Is there a specific setting to check anywhere else than on the iPhone and the ATV ?

Regards

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #304 on: November 23, 2015, 04:15:52 pm »
I have had my bridge working on node.js 0.12.5 for quite a few months and just recently had to reset and start from scratch I am suspecting due to iOS9.
I took advantage to update node.js to 0.12.7. There is no need to goof with any of the curve and registry if you use 0.12.7. Just git clone the folder, run the 2 npm installs, edit the config with the vera ip address and you can get going.

What I have observed however is a random failure when adding a device through the eve or the mytouchhome app. The annoying part of it is once it fails, HomeKit won't let you add it again. It will keep popping a device not found message forcing you to either rename the device on the vera or start the config from scratch. With the number of devices I have, It is a time consuming ordeal.
I have been trying to find out what is causing this random failure by monitoring what the bridge is doing and how it communicates with HomeKit. I have a lot of iOS devices on my account, 3 iPads, 1 iPhone, 3 aTV.
What I have observed is that every pairing failure occurred when some other communication to the bridge occurred during the pairing process which in turn either interrupts HomeKit or the Bridge.
My workaround has been the following:
1. Disable communication to all iOS devices except for the one I intend on using to add the Vera devices to HomeKit by putting them in Airplane mode. To disable the aTVs, after I created the house, I would just go to the settings for HomeKit and disable Remote Access.
2. Monitor the status of the bridge: Before starting the pairing of each device, I make sure that the pairing for the previous is completed and it isn't doing something else. The last line from the bridge should be M3: Verify success. It sometimes says something else it is busy establishing communication with HomeKit either for a device or to finishing a pairing. When you pick a device to pair and start the pairing and before you input the code the bridge should say "start pairing M1". If it says something else, abort and try again. Do not input the code! I added over 25 devices this way which was not possible before as I would always end up failing a few randomly if I did not monitor the status.
3. Turn off airplane mode on the iOS devices one by one verifying each time that the HomeKit configuration has been transmitted to each device (which on its own is a whole other mysterious topic) before moving to the next one.
4. If desired enable Remote Access.

So far, it seems to work.

@Hackworth: Seems like the Garage door logic showing on HomeKit is still reversed as reported in Eve or mytouchome although the commands seem to work just fine...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:22:42 pm by anhman »
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline willyha

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #305 on: November 27, 2015, 12:32:40 pm »
Hi Guys,

It is working for me, using Pi2 (Raspbian). I used the instructions of PeterAquino's post.
Thank you PeterAquino

There is just one thing that I would like to config but I did not find any post to help. How to start the " npm run start " at Raspbian boot.

For information only, It's working all devices only with turn on and off (lights, locks and scenes), and It's working with Brazilian Portuquese well.

Offline wezzix

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #306 on: November 28, 2015, 11:21:50 am »
@Hackworth: I think one good point why you would want a dedicated device type for window covering is to not have to use the awkward grammar of "Turn on the window coverings/shades/blinds" but instead say "Open the window coverings/shades/blinds".

Maybe the WINDOW_COVERING_STYPE would make this work? I'm however not sure how to implement this because there seem to be a set of different variables other than dimmable light (WINDOW_COVERING_TARGET_POSITION_CTYPE).

(Great work btw! Finally got it working on Windows 7 using VMPlayer hosting OS X. I tried the windows suggestion from this thread, but there were a bunch of errors of missing .h files I couldn't get past.)

@acn,

Copying my comments on the pull request here:

So I've merged this in for now, but it looks like it's just the same urn and everything from a dimmable light, so I really don't see why you've created a separate WindowCovering.js file instead of just calling createDimmableLight(device) for category 8 devices. Can you explain the reasoning?

Offline damianxd

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2015, 08:55:27 am »
Hello Everyone

Sorry for the late update, I'd been too busy with my own work to make something new on this, until yesterday when I've finally made what I was hopping for. This is a complete new version of what Albeebe started a while back, but this time it is my own code with almost nothing from the original release.

You can have all the devices connected by room, you can change the password, it should remember all the devices upon restart, set the debug system and add temperature sensors. It should be easier to install too, so I hope less issues on that matter.

Currently dimmer lights are not working since I don't have a way to test those, but I hope to update that during next week (I'm attending to a wedding next Saturday so it may not happen, it will depend of how drunk I will get).

To get the full set of instructions and the lastest version of it, go to this link:
https://github.com/damianxd/VeraLink/

If you want to support me on this and allow me to get a dimmer light to test it, you can help me out with a donation here:
http://fundraise.net/what-happened-to-pledgie/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 10:37:14 am by Sorin »

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2015, 08:42:48 pm »
Hello Everyone

Sorry for the late update, I'd been too busy with my own work to make something new on this, until yesterday when I've finally made what I was hopping for. This is a complete new version of what Albeebe started a while back, but this time it is my own code with almost nothing from the original release.

You can have all the devices connected by room, you can change the password, it should remember all the devices upon restart, set the debug system and add temperature sensors. It should be easier to install too, so I hope less issues on that matter.

Currently dimmer lights are not working since I don't have a way to test those, but I hope to update that during next week (I'm attending to a wedding next Saturday so it may not happen, it will depend of how drunk I will get).

To get the full set of instructions and the lastest version of it, go to this link:
https://github.com/damianxd/VeraLink/

If you want to support me on this and allow me to get a dimmer light to test it, you can help me out with a donation here:
https://pledgie.com/campaigns/30716

I have this installed on Ubuntu 14.04.  Trying to use Eve to set things up.  We have a fair number of Schlage window-sensors on the system.  This seems to think they're all temperature sensors, and the server crashes as soon as any room with one gets added or once added, gets opened.

Offline damianxd

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2015, 08:58:35 pm »
Check the config.js file, you can set the sensors or the bridge mode off by changing the value from true to false. The bridge mode is the one that can mix all the devices into one server for each room, if you set that one to false, each device will have a server.

Please check and read the config.js file, most problems can be solved by setting the proper things. Currently I don't have all the setups or devices that are out there, but at least I did it with that in mind.

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2015, 10:24:38 pm »
Check the config.js file, you can set the sensors or the bridge mode off by changing the value from true to false. The bridge mode is the one that can mix all the devices into one server for each room, if you set that one to false, each device will have a server.

Please check and read the config.js file, most problems can be solved by setting the proper things. Currently I don't have all the setups or devices that are out there, but at least I did it with that in mind.

That helped a fair amount, in that the server stays up.  Using the Eve app, I can turn things on and off, but it doesn't show the state of devices that were on without its involvement correctly--everything shows "off".  Is that expected?

Have not yet had Siri respond to any requests with anything other than "I didn't quite get that--did you want me to turn all of the [outlets|lights] [on|off]?"  Depending on the request.  So it is recognizing that the thing I am asking for is a light or an outlet.  And is echoing my request back faithfully on the iPhone screen, and knows whether I am asking for on or off.  But seems befuddled beyond that point.

Still, I am impressed that this much works.

--Richard

Offline damianxd

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #311 on: December 07, 2015, 04:56:16 am »
The status is a problem right now, because I know how to get the data from the Vera API but the real problem is the HAP-Nodejs part because I'm using the get callback, but it isn't being trigger when the homekit ask for a status change. Maybe I'm missing something on the documentation, so for now this script is remembering only its own action and not seeing what you manually do with the actual switch. I will try to fix this on a next release.

I forgot to change the description on each device to be the name of the Vera accessory, so all the items will be called the same for Siri. It wasn't intended to be like that, so I will fix that sometime today, but for now, you should use "Insteon+" and use the "Edit device" option, there you can change the name Siri use to control each item. The name need to be all in lowercase and write it exactly like you would tell Siri to start it, like if you would say "Turn on the small office light".
Fixed
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:27:41 am by damianxd »

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #312 on: December 07, 2015, 10:41:41 am »
The status is a problem right now, because I know how to get the data from the Vera API but the real problem is the HAP-Nodejs part because I'm using the get callback, but it isn't being trigger when the homekit ask for a status change. Maybe I'm missing something on the documentation, so for now this script is remembering only its own action and not seeing what you manually do with the actual switch. I will try to fix this on a next release.

I forgot to change the description on each device to be the name of the Vera accessory, so all the items will be called the same for Siri. It wasn't intended to be like that, so I will fix that sometime today, but for now, you should use "Insteon+" and use the "Edit device" option, there you can change the name Siri use to control each item. The name need to be all in lowercase and write it exactly like you would tell Siri to start it, like if you would say "Turn on the small office light".
Fixed

And to install the fix, re-git and start over?

--Richard

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #313 on: December 07, 2015, 10:45:58 am »
Forgot to mention--I have several Leviton incandescent dimmer switches sitting around--the kind that go into the wall.  PM me with shipping address if you'd like me to ship you one as my donation to your cause.

--Richard

Offline damianxd

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #314 on: December 07, 2015, 10:48:24 am »
Stop the program, go to the VeraLink folder and do a
Code: [Select]
git pull and restart the script again.
I think you may have troubles with the config.js file, because it will ask to commit the changes on that file. I will rename the config.js file on GIT to config.default.js so next time you can update the code without commiting.

For now I recommend you to save your config.js file, delete the whole folder and clone it again. I've changed the setup instructions with this.