We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: News about HomeKit and Vera  (Read 307686 times)

Offline djrobx

Re: News about HomeKit and Vera
« Reply #570 on: December 28, 2016, 01:03:24 am »
Dimmer support does work in Damian's version.   Variable speed fan control is broken but I posted a patch for that (I just merged the working dimmer.js into the fan.js code and all is well).

It's super fast for me.   I was worried it might not be because i have such a large number of devices.   The only issue I have is that the door locks will sometimes post "unlocked" states and back to "locked" if LUUP resets.   This wouldn't be a big deal except by default iOS sends notifications to you about it.    I have pushover on Vera that sends me more detailed notifications, so I don't really need these, I just disabled them and I'm super happy with the setup. 

My favorite part is quick access to favorite controls on the iOS dock.   Or even opening the Home app, you don't have to wait for the app to synchronize and connect with MCV first.   I've been suffering with iVera for a long time and this is such a breath of fresh air.   Siri is just a bonus.   There's something epic about yelling "Hey siri, turn on the fireplace" and having it work.

Offline vertig095

« Reply #571 on: December 28, 2016, 11:45:09 pm »
@djrobx, thanks for the patch.  My fan is finally working as it should be.  I prefer more flexibility in setting the fan speed, so I tweaked fan.js to allow more than the default 25%, 50%, 100% values as currently set.    I really appreciate your efforts.

Offline djrobx

« Reply #572 on: December 29, 2016, 01:14:07 am »
The homekit app does indeed update quickly, the only issue I get is atet I get random notifications of doors being used from time to time, I'm assuming its' some kind of crash in the bridge which causes it to update again in the HomeKit app.  That part is a little annoying, the rest is great and works perfectly 99% of the time.
I committed a fix for this and submitted a pull request to Damian.   It's a bug in the error handling, if LUUP resets, Vera doesn't respond to requests, and the door lock states default to "off" (unlocked).    Once Vera comes back, it can correctly read them, and they go back to locked.  The fix is to just return the current state if there's an error.   

As for updates, when watching the debug logs I noticed HomeKit only polls door locks.  Other things like lights will not change state unless the requesting app asks for a refresh.   El gato eve polls somewhat frequently, but the default iOS home app does not.

The IOS home app asks for status updates whenever you open it or change rooms, so if you pull up the page, the states should be correct at that moment.  It works pretty well in practice.

Offline thebeaz2

« Reply #573 on: January 02, 2017, 06:03:44 pm »
I've got @hackworth's VeraHomeKit running on a Raspberry Pi 3.  I can start the app.  It creates some accessories and then I can see it listening on a port.  When I open Eve though I do not see the HomeKit.  Can some one help?  Below is the output from starting the app in DEBUG.

Code: [Select]
pi@raspberrypi:~/VeraHomeKitBridge $ DEBUG=* node app.js
*** WARNING *** The program 'node' uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
*** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
*** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=node>
*** WARNING *** The program 'node' called 'DNSServiceRegister()' which is not supported (or only supported partially) in the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
*** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi!
*** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=node&f=DNSServiceRegister>
Starting Vera HomeKit Bridge...
Create accessory: Front Door Lock
Create accessory: Garage Door
Create accessory: NooneHomeGeo
Create accessory: Porch Lights
Create accessory: SomeoneHomeGeo
Create accessory: Armed, Lock Doors Close Garage
Create accessory: XXX is Away
Create accessory: XXX is Home
Create accessory: Disarm when Door PIN entered
Create accessory: Front Porch Lights Off Sunrise
Create accessory: Front Porch Lights On at Sunset
Create accessory: Keep the Front Door Locked
Create accessory: No-one Home, Arm Away
Create accessory: Switch Present OFF
Create accessory: Switch Present ON
Create accessory: XXX is Away
Create accessory: XXX is Home
  EventedHTTPServer Server listening on port 51826 +0ms

EDIT: I used the version of the Homebridge Kit installed by these instructions and my problem is fixed.  http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,31716.msg255988/topicseen.html#msg255988
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:14:47 am by thebeaz2 »

Offline bigeazy000

« Reply #574 on: January 04, 2017, 05:56:44 pm »
Hello All,

I'm trying to use the docker image that fastfreddi put together on my Synology system and I'm not able to see it with any HomeKit apps (I've tried Insteon+, Eve, and the native Home app). The Docker image fires up fine, and looking at the logs I see that it hits my Vera and adds all the devices. The logs look like they should, and everything appears normal.  I have also verified that port 51826 is open and running, as I can telnet to the port from other devices on the network.

Like I said, I cant see it at all on my iphone or ipad, both running IOS 10. Ive tried deleting the persist folder and renaming the device in the config.json file with no success. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I could look at to figure out what's broken?

Offline CelticWebs

« Reply #575 on: January 04, 2017, 06:10:45 pm »
The homekit app does indeed update quickly, the only issue I get is atet I get random notifications of doors being used from time to time, I'm assuming its' some kind of crash in the bridge which causes it to update again in the HomeKit app.  That part is a little annoying, the rest is great and works perfectly 99% of the time.
I committed a fix for this and submitted a pull request to Damian.   It's a bug in the error handling, if LUUP resets, Vera doesn't respond to requests, and the door lock states default to "off" (unlocked).    Once Vera comes back, it can correctly read them, and they go back to locked.  The fix is to just return the current state if there's an error.   

As for updates, when watching the debug logs I noticed HomeKit only polls door locks.  Other things like lights will not change state unless the requesting app asks for a refresh.   El gato eve polls somewhat frequently, but the default iOS home app does not.

The IOS home app asks for status updates whenever you open it or change rooms, so if you pull up the page, the states should be correct at that moment.  It works pretty well in practice.

Thanks.  I only recently realised it was during Luup resets.  Do you know if this has been merged yet? I don't see it there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline djrobx

« Reply #576 on: January 04, 2017, 06:43:26 pm »
Thanks.  I only recently realised it was during Luup resets.  Do you know if this has been merged yet? I don't see it there
Yes, my and a few other great changes from DrewCovi are committed to master.   Some people have had trouble updating with NPM, you might just download and update the *.js files manually.

Offline CelticWebs

« Reply #577 on: January 04, 2017, 06:53:00 pm »
Yes, my and a few other great changes from DrewCovi are committed to master.   Some people have had trouble updating with NPM, you might just download and update the *.js files manually.

Great thanks.

I need to do a full reset on mine anyway. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CelticWebs

« Reply #578 on: January 07, 2017, 10:54:35 am »

My issue now is that I've done a full reset and wiped everything, reinstalled and added device back in to home app, the problem is that all devices now just sit saying updating...  Everything was completely reset and home app had everything wiped before starting again.

Ay suggestions as to why updates are not being received now?

Offline dcaler

« Reply #579 on: January 17, 2017, 03:40:32 pm »
Is there an updated, and complete, set of installation instructions for the homekit/homebridge integration?

Offline paulcusick3

« Reply #580 on: January 20, 2017, 02:11:26 pm »
I am so close on OSx.  Like others, I am stuck with error on config.json file when I try and run homebridge from terminal.  I get this error:

Meghans-iMac:~ root# homebridge
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM] Loaded plugin: homebridge-vera
VeraLink initializing
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM] Registering platform 'homebridge-veralink.Vera'
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM] ---
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM] There was a problem reading your config.json file.
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM] Please try pasting your config.json file here to validate it: http://jsonlint.com
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM]
/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:197
    throw err;
    ^

SyntaxError: Unexpected token \
    at Object.parse (native)
    at Server._loadConfig (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:191:19)
    at new Server (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:52:38)
    at module.exports (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/cli.js:26:16)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/bin/homebridge:17:22)
    at Module._compile (module.js:425:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:432:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:311:12)
    at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:457:10)
    at startup (node.js:136:18)
    at node.js:972:3
Meghans-iMac:~ root#

Here is my config.json
{
"bridge": {
"name": "Homebridge",
"pin": "031-45-154",
"username": "CC:22:3D:E3:CE:30"
},
"platforms": [{
            "platform" : "Vera",
            "name" : "Vera",
            "veraIP" : "192.168.1.52",
            "includesensor" : false,
            "dimmertest" : false
        }]
}

My novice questions;
1. What is userid? MAC address? of what? vera? or homebridge?
2. What is the PIN? Where do you get?  When i first ran from terminal i took a screen shot (see attachment) that had pin of 031-45-154 and port 65210.
3. What can I try and do differently?

Thank you in advance.  Paul

**Edit  - I did use a text editor that was suggested;
**Edit2 - I may have found my mistake.  Not in home directory.  Will post here if I fixed
**Edit 3 - That was the issue.  For MAC users attempting this. 

I was trying to install @ root.  I went back to my general user account and ran terminal install.  Got error message that I did not have permissions to /usr/local/lib/node_modules (see last note about unhiding files, I think I did that here).  I then granted myself read/write permissions to that folder and re-ran install without error.

Note that when you run install from terminal it will install in two locations /usr/lib/homebridge AND in you home path which is Users/[your user name]/.homebridge.  Also this folder is hidden by default.  Google how to show hidden files MAC for instructions on how to unhide.

Also, while well noted, you should use the editor app ATOM to modify your config.json

A lot of trial and erorr learning.  I am smarter, and up and running.

Thanks to all.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:38:27 am by paulcusick3 »

Offline jaha

« Reply #581 on: January 25, 2017, 06:25:47 am »
Hi

I followed spruts instructions and got it working, one issue do. When I say turn of lights in bedroom homebridge only turns of 3 of X lights. Tried to move one light to another room and then it works if its under 3 devices in that room. Is there any fix?

Offline fernmac

« Reply #582 on: January 25, 2017, 12:42:37 pm »
Hi, i also have a iMac and after reading all 39 pages, i am still very confused on how to proceed. Would you be so kind as to point in the right direction, where to start, how did you do it?
Thanks a lot.

I am so close on OSx.  Like others, I am stuck with error on config.json file when I try and run homebridge from terminal.  I get this error:

Meghans-iMac:~ root# homebridge
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM] Loaded plugin: homebridge-vera
VeraLink initializing
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM] Registering platform 'homebridge-veralink.Vera'
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM] ---
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM] There was a problem reading your config.json file.
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM] Please try pasting your config.json file here to validate it: http://jsonlint.com
[1/20/2017, 1:28:04 PM]
/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:197
    throw err;
    ^

SyntaxError: Unexpected token \
    at Object.parse (native)
    at Server._loadConfig (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:191:19)
    at new Server (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:52:38)
    at module.exports (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/cli.js:26:16)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge/bin/homebridge:17:22)
    at Module._compile (module.js:425:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:432:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:311:12)
    at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:457:10)
    at startup (node.js:136:18)
    at node.js:972:3
Meghans-iMac:~ root#

Here is my config.json
{
"bridge": {
"name": "Homebridge",
"pin": "031-45-154",
"username": "CC:22:3D:E3:CE:30"
},
"platforms": [{
            "platform" : "Vera",
            "name" : "Vera",
            "veraIP" : "192.168.1.52",
            "includesensor" : false,
            "dimmertest" : false
        }]
}

My novice questions;
1. What is userid? MAC address? of what? vera? or homebridge?
2. What is the PIN? Where do you get?  When i first ran from terminal i took a screen shot (see attachment) that had pin of 031-45-154 and port 65210.
3. What can I try and do differently?

Thank you in advance.  Paul

**Edit  - I did use a text editor that was suggested;
**Edit2 - I may have found my mistake.  Not in home directory.  Will post here if I fixed
**Edit 3 - That was the issue.  For MAC users attempting this. 

I was trying to install @ root.  I went back to my general user account and ran terminal install.  Got error message that I did not have permissions to /usr/local/lib/node_modules (see last note about unhiding files, I think I did that here).  I then granted myself read/write permissions to that folder and re-ran install without error.

Note that when you run install from terminal it will install in two locations /usr/lib/homebridge AND in you home path which is Users/[your user name]/.homebridge.  Also this folder is hidden by default.  Google how to show hidden files MAC for instructions on how to unhide.

Also, while well noted, you should use the editor app ATOM to modify your config.json

A lot of trial and erorr learning.  I am smarter, and up and running.

Thanks to all.

Offline paulcusick3

« Reply #583 on: January 26, 2017, 10:18:31 am »
MAC OSX Homebridge Install

I basically followed these instructions. https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/wiki/Install-Homebridge-on-OSX
I learned that there are some prerequisites that more advances users probably assume are already in place and known; With my novice skill level in using terminal and linux commands I struggled.  Here is my best memory recall; and reordered to how I would do it again on a fresh MAC

1.   Mac App Store Install Xcode
2.   Download and install Nodejs (in link above)
3.   Restart
4.   Enable root / system administrator account on MAC ? It is not enabled by default (search google for how)
5.   Un-Hide hidden files ? (search)
6.   Enable Hard Drive view in Finder (search)
7.   Log in as System Administrator
8.   Browse to folder /usr/local/node_modules and give your user account read/write access
9.   Log out Sys Amin and Log into your account
10.   Open Terminal
11.   Type "sudo npm -g install homebridge"
12.   Ensure no errors - If you get access error - google error.  There are other install commands you can try to get around error
13.   Type "sudo npm -g install homebridge-vera"
14.   Ensure no errors
15.   Browse to Users/[user name]/.homebridges
16.   Modify your config.json with your IP address with an approved text editor keeping json extension.  I used ATOM text editor
17.   Open Terminal
18.   Type "homebridge"
19.   Ensure PIN is same as in config.json ? if not change with text editor
20.   If any errors, google.
21.   If no errors, open Home on IOS and search.  Homebridge should show up and you can add accessories.
22.   You have to stay logged in and keep terminal running homebridge 24/7.  You can search how to autorun on restart.

Let me know how you make out.  I hope this works and is helpful, but I am a novice just trying to contribute.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:21:58 am by paulcusick3 »

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #584 on: February 04, 2017, 07:49:19 pm »
I was following these excellent instructions:
https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/wiki/Install-Homebridge-on-Windows

and I am stuck on these 2 step:
6 - Console command: cd C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\homebridge\bin
7 - Console command: node homebridge

For step 6, I do not have that path, instead I have:
C:\Users\Don Phillips\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\homebridge-http\node_modules\.bin

Ignoring that, I ran step 7 and received the error it cannot find homebridge, which is not in that folder either.

Finding the homebridge.cmd file in the \npm folder, I ran that and it errors also, but it seems to be something ion the confgi.json file.

Anyone know what I am overlooking? I am really lost.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1