We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Best supported Alarm Panel 2015  (Read 15945 times)

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
Re: Best supported Alarm Panel 2015
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 08:04:38 pm »
Actually the kids are quite good at that, but the wife... Well that is another scenario

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2015, 08:39:33 pm »
This was just a quick setup of Homewave Alarm reporting
By the way, why are you monitoring the Hall Closet? Is that where you keep the gold? LOL. Just kidding.

I too have my alarm hook to way more doors then you need for an alarm purpose, but this is for auto lighting purposes.

My walk in pantry, bathrooms (works fans and light control) and laundry rooms have door sensors just for home automation purposes.

Small rooms that normally have closed doors a 1.50 wired door sensor is hidden and when door opened light comes on. 5min or when the door closes the light goes off.

Bathroom, if door is closed and light on for more then 3 min turns on bathroom fan. When door opened and light off, 5 min later bathroom fan goes off.

Any small closest that doors are normally closed lights also work good this way. If no doors or doors always opened then use motion.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2015, 08:46:19 pm »
I'll give you a brief overview of how I use my Vista 20p panel (in house when I bought) and Vera for security & alerting...

Windows = wireless to Alarm
Doors = wired to Alarm & Zwave door sensors  (will convert to use only Alarm wired)
Motion = Zwave in every room and outdoor entry points + 1 Alarm motion in main area (might add more Alarm motions to replace Zwave)
Vera connects to Honeywell Vista 20p using EVL-3

Security Modes : built into Vera using PLEG
- control is from occupancy detection (phone ping & router detection) and manually using Authomation HD interface to Vera
- other entry points like Door keypads also trigger Security modes

Scenes (lighting, etc) :  built into Vera using PLEG
- some Zwave door & motion sensors trigger lighting scenes... this may also be replaced by existing Alarm sensors

Eventually (maybe soon) I will convert all my door sensors to use the Alarm sensors and remove the Zwave. Not for reliability reasons but since they are simply redundant right now.
Also, I may look into getting more Honeywell motions to replace the Zwaves OR getting newer Zwaves that also include temp, humidity, etc (more likely)

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 09:03:36 pm »
Both are very good example that the brand is not as important and the function they perform...

Integration and Aaron and integlikewhoa provide very good use cases for the ROI.

I personally have minimal z-wave sensors, they in my opinion just haven't not proven themselves yet, but they do not offer multifunctional cannot be dismissed. 

Offline Theboob

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 09:30:00 pm »
Hey Aaron. How does the "router detection" work? Is that built into PLEG?

Man it's too bad the house was built when I got it. I can see where having CHEAP wired sensors on every door would have been useful. Oh well. Wireless it is.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 09:46:10 pm »
The code runs on the router. Search for router Occupancy on the forums

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 09:49:21 pm »
Hey Aaron. How does the "router detection" work? Is that built into PLEG?

Man it's too bad the house was built when I got it. I can see where having CHEAP wired sensors on every door would have been useful. Oh well. Wireless it is.

My house was built 55 years before I installed the alarm panel. Took me half a day.

EDIT: and a few years ago alarm installers only installed wired alarms and in pre existing houses everyday.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:51:10 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline Theboob

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 12:32:49 pm »
Oh ok. Like Tomato (or whatever it is). Thanks

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2015, 12:59:27 pm »

DDWRT or tomato are software to transform your basic to one with alot more options. One of those options is to run custom scripts or commands.

In the forums here there is that information on what code to run.

Offline Theboob

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2015, 05:55:56 pm »

DDWRT or tomato are software to transform your basic to one with alot more options. One of those options is to run custom scripts or commands.

In the forums here there is that information on what code to run.
Thanks

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 06:23:19 pm »
The thread you are looking for can be found at http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=24084.0

Offline TC1

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2015, 06:52:35 pm »
So I'll ask a follow up question, of all the wireless alarm systems mentioned (or not), do any of them not have the infamous DSC 6 second delay on the motion sensors? I ask because I intend on using the alarm sensors also for lighting control.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 12:29:10 am »
So I'll ask a follow up question, of all the wireless alarm systems mentioned (or not), do any of them not have the infamous DSC 6 second delay on the motion sensors? I ask because I intend on using the alarm sensors also for lighting control.

Problem is wireless period. Z-wave or any alarm panels. Wireless = batteries equals not wanting to report very often or repeatably to conserve batteries. Most wireless motions also stop reporting after so many trips in a row. I guess the thought process is if the alarm hasn't tripped in the last 10 motions in the last few min why keep sending the tripped signal over and over. I find they just sleep for while and then after no motion for some period of time it will trip again on next motion.

My 10.00 wired sensors work way better and never need batteries then the 40.00 wireless ones.

I know people don't want to hear that wireless are not as good because install is so easy. But it's a truth you must face. Wired is always better performance vs. wireless convince. Take your pick.

Offline Theboob

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 01:42:16 am »

Problem is wireless period. Z-wave or any alarm panels. Wireless = batteries equals not wanting to report very often or repeatably to conserve batteries. Most wireless motions also stop reporting after so many trips in a row. I guess the thought process is if the alarm hasn't tripped in the last 10 motions in the last few min why keep sending the tripped signal over and over. I find they just sleep for while and then after no motion for some period of time it will trip again on next motion.

My 10.00 wired sensors work way better and never need batteries then the 40.00 wireless ones.

I know people don't want to hear that wireless are not as good because install is so easy. But it's a truth you must face. Wired is always better performance vs. wireless convince. Take your pick.
Good points. I'll try to put as many WIRED sensors in as I can. Maybe I'll get a spool of wire first and see what I can do.

I've got some CAT5 ran to a few spots which is unused. Maybe I can just pair some of the strands together and use those....

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 02:03:16 am »
The 6 seconds delayed is only applicable to the DSC wireless motion. It is there by design and it was embedded into design to alleviate false reporting after LA in 2004 introduced no free false alarm and therefore, reliability was critical to DSC's maintaining a U.S. market. If I remember correctly that was when they were experiencing difficulties and before they were taken over by Tyco.

However, that make them suitable for security but not great for HA purpose. Six seconds is a long delay; especially, if being used for walk patterns.

The LA info can be found here.

http://www.lapdonline.org/faqs/content_basic_view/9162