Author Topic: My Tip: The interface should acknowledge its different audiences  (Read 5092 times)

Offline BigstickCarpet

My Tip: The interface should acknowledge its different audiences
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:25:52 pm »
First of all, I'm not one of the people who hates UI3.  In fact, I think UI3 is better than UI2 in many ways.  For example, it's much easier to arrange devices and scenes however you want, which makes it easier to see all the information you care about at a glance rather than having to scroll up-and-down a page to find each device you need to check.  Also, the ability to create floorplans is a great feature.

Having said all that, I ended up rolling back to UI2, and I can definitely see why so many people hate UI3.  It's not that there's anything wrong with UI3, it's just that it appeals to an entirely different audience than UI2 does.  UI2 is much more basic, simple, and - most importantly - familiar.  It looks how you expect a web interface to look.  It acts how you expect a web interface to act.  This gives it a very high WAF, makes it easy for novices to understand, and is a nice balance between functionality and usability.

UI3, on the other hand, is not your typical website.  It doesn't look or work like most websites, it takes a while to learn your way around, and its not nearly as clean as UI2.  This doesn't make it bad though.  It just means it's targeting a different audience; namely, tech enthusiasts who want to be able to do advanced things and who are willing to learn how to use an unfamiliar interface to do those things.  For these enthusiasts, UI3 is perfect.

Vera is currently marketed as an easy-to-use consumer device, and I think most people end up buying Vera because it is powerful, yet easy enough that anyone in the family can use it.  So, my personal opinion is that the default UI for Vera should be a basic, familiar, HTML-based web interface.  It doesn't have to be UI2, but is should definitely be as simple and familiar as UI2.  This interface would offer basic functionality such as adding devices, creating basic scenes (i.e. no Luup), and performing simple tasks such as turning lights on and off or changing the temperature of a thermostat.

There should also be an advanced UI (or an advanced section of the standard UI) for users such as tech enthusiasts and installers.  This interface includes all the advanced functionality such as creating floor plans, creating Luup scenes, managing router settings, etc. This UI doesn't have to be HTML-based and can be as fancy and complex as you want, because this audience is fine with that.

guest4733

Re: My Tip: The interface should acknowledge its different audiences
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 12:42:24 pm »
This would split the UI from the start in Basic USE and Advanced USE, and the user can choose between 2 possibilities, and in the same time to be able to change between them on the fly.

Offline umtauscher

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:17:24 pm »
There are are some other things separating the acceptance of UI3 for me.
UI2 is not perfect, but at least it's somewhat self explanatory.
UI3 is chaotic, its popup windows are strange, sometimes cannot be closed and the whole thing looks totally unprofessional. When 25 years agon someone invented wysiwyg, that resulted in dokuments with uncountable different fonts and sizes. UI3 is a reincarnation of something like that.
I don't have a problem with many options, but they need to logically structured.

If you must, decide between a basic and advanced view, but making something like UI3 "basic" just would lead to an ugly interface with lesser options.

Just my 2 ct.

Umtauscher

guest4733

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 02:29:21 pm »
umtauscher - what exactly do you think about UI3? Do you think it has a good concept with a bad implementation, because of consistency lack, or you think it is wrong from the roots. And if so, why?

Offline BigstickCarpet

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 02:37:57 pm »
@mcv_alex: I agree that there's no need for the basic and advanced interfaces to be completely separate.  They could just be different areas of the same interface based on usage scenarios.  But MCV seems determined to use Flash for the advanced UI, and that simply won't work for basic users.  The basic interface needs to be simple, familiar HTML.

@umtauscher: I agree 100%.  The chaotic and unfamiliar interface of UI3 is pretty typical of all-Flash interfaces, and is definitely not suited to novice users, children, and non-techie family members, which limits the appeal of Vera as a family-friendly device.  I have no problem with an all-Flash interface for advanced users, but that should not be the default interface for everybody.  That's why I reverted to UI2 in my home.

guest4733

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 02:49:10 pm »
as I told in other post, would be fine to choose between BASIC and ADVANCED

guest4733

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 03:25:33 pm »
we started the debates in http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3196.0 for the new UI4

Offline robertd202

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 05:36:43 pm »
I just started with UI3 and don't have a frame of reference with the old one, but I did not find it to be easy to use at all and I am not a web novice.  Nothing about the interface was intuitive.  I did a lot of clicking just to see what would happen.  At first I could not close the popup windows until I realized you had to click on the tab again to get to the page with the close button. 

A Help button on the front page would be helpful for new users who what to have setup instructions to get started.  A link to the whole manual, not just context oriented ? buttons.   I had to randomly click on buttons to find out what to do first, second, etc.  Step by step instructions for common things would be good. 

The New MIOS users manual has little + marks on topics that can be expanded, but nothing happens when you click on the +, you have to click on the text.  I would bet that virtually every user has clicked on the + sign to no avail, thinking WTF.  Now that I know to click the text its ok, but something you should fix.

I have not gotten my network setup yet but I will let you know how it goes this weekend.   ;D
Vera 2 (996), WDTC-20, HSM100, 4-HA06, 2-45609, 2- HRDS1