Author Topic: UI Navigation and Dimmer Default State  (Read 9442 times)

Offline B0SST0N

UI Navigation and Dimmer Default State
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:31:11 pm »
I would like to see a way to navigate the floorplan easier... the zoom in and zoom out functions are just a PITA. Both clicking and dragging and the directional buttons are also a PITA.

Perhaps a mouse scroll wheel on my desktop would be a good way to zoom in and out. Being able to pinch zoom on my macbook would also be a nice option.

I am not sure about the navigation though, perhaps clicking and dragging is the only real way to do it on a desktop. Except, on my mackbook it would be great to be able to "two-finger" navigate.

The best way to solve all of these problems is to make an interface that does not need to be dragged around and zoomed though....

1.1.228 is still riddled with annoying bugs that move the floorplan around when you didnt do anything. Also, when changing sections the floorplan randomly moves around... sometimes to an area of the floorplan that doesnt even have any rooms. 1.1.228 is much better at keeping the icons where you put them... but its not eprfect, sometimes the icons move around all by themselves...

Dimmers... we need a "default on state" option so that when you click on a dimmer icon it goes directly to that state instead of 100%. It is annoying to have to open up a device to go to 50%. Most of my lights around the house are dimmers and I don't want to go to 100% when I click the on button... I just want it to go to 50%. But in order to do that I have to open up each device individually and use the button within the box.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:34:23 pm by B0SST0N »

guest4733

Re: UI Navigation and Dimmer Default State
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:07:33 am »
Dimmers... we need a "default on state" option so that when you click on a dimmer icon it goes directly to that state instead of 100%. It is annoying to have to open up a device to go to 50%. Most of my lights around the house are dimmers and I don't want to go to 100% when I click the on button... I just want it to go to 50%. But in order to do that I have to open up each device individually and use the button within the box.

A scene wouldn't help you?

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 08:46:57 am »

A scene wouldn't help you?
I don't want to speak for BOSSTON, but solving this issue with a scene would work but would clutter up the UI by having to add a scene for everyone of his dimmers. A powerful way to implement his request is to allow devices to have a default "action" and allow the user to pick one of that devices commands as the default or specify a scene. Now the scenes for each dimmer could be created and hidden some where (when in a dashboard use case), but used to implement the 50% default action.

guest4733

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 09:30:09 am »
I was saying that a scene would work if you need to turn 10 dimmers to 50%. But it is a good idea to offer the option for a default level.

Offline B0SST0N

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 09:36:15 am »
I don't want to speak for BOSSTON, but solving this issue with a scene would work but would clutter up the UI by having to add a scene for everyone of his dimmers. A powerful way to implement his request is to allow devices to have a default "action" and allow the user to pick one of that devices commands as the default or specify a scene. Now the scenes for each dimmer could be created and hidden some where (when in a dashboard use case), but used to implement the 50% default action.

well said, scenes add clutter on the floorplan.

This brings me to another point... Scenes do not belong on the floorplan unless I specifically want one there, we need another place for scenes.... And it's not the "devices pullout".

I have 40 devices, they fit great on the floorplan. But the other 35 scenes I have just clutter it up and it's hard to tell the difference between them all because they are all the same icon. So what I have done is I made a new "section" named "scenes" and created a room in that section that is named "scenes". I stuck all of my scene icons in that room. Obviously this is less than ideal but it keeps the clutter out of my floorplan and out of the devices pullout.

There needs to be a seperate page to go to to access your scenes, and a flag on each scene that the user can check to "show scene on floorplan", a lot of my scenes are just timers I don't need to see. Plus some way of changing the icon so we can tell which scene is which at a quick glance of the icon (if it is flagged to be on the floorplan). The other scenes that are not flagged to be on the floorplan do not need an icon (I am imagining a seperate window that just comes up as a list of all scenes sorted by section and room).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:43:43 am by B0SST0N »

guest4733

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48:12 am »
BOSSTON - can you share a screenshot here? I would like to see how your floorplan looks. Thanks.

Offline B0SST0N

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 10:14:03 am »
Is there any way you guys can up the attachment size, 128k is really annoying. :)

mcvovidiu

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:28:48 am »
Hi,

We setup the max size per attachment to 512 KB and 1 MB for posts. Hope this is better for now.

Offline B0SST0N

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 05:37:58 pm »
Thanks, Ill post my screenshots when I get back, I am currently out of town on business and my vera locked up so I can't access her.  :-\

Offline Joe

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 04:46:31 pm »
Perhaps a mouse scroll wheel on my desktop would be a good way to zoom in and out. Being able to pinch zoom on my macbook would also be a nice option.

I am not sure about the navigation though, perhaps clicking and dragging is the only real way to do it on a desktop. Except, on my mackbook it would be great to be able to "two-finger" navigate.
Is anyone else here an AutoCAD user? Zooming and panning are constantly used when working in CAD. AutoCAD has very fast control for this because they are used so often. It's really only three simple things that make it work:

1. The mouse scroll wheel zooms in and out. Unlike other application zooms, AutoCAD's is different; the zoom is centered on the mouse cursor, not on the center of the screen. The cursor-centered zooming is a nice feature once you learn how it works, but can be very disconcerting to a new user. When dealing with floor plans in Vera's interface, however, it would be a good feature to have. So perhaps being able to toggle this feature on and off would be good.

2. When holding down the middle mouse button, moving the mouse pans the view.

3. Double-clicking the middle mouse button zoom the plan to fit the extent of all objects (called "zoom all"). Usually this zooms out so that you can see everything, but if you are already zoomed out so that everything you have drawn fits in less than 100% of the screen, AutoCAD will zoom in.

AutoCAD's pan and zoom is so good that the program does not need scrollbars; experienced users just turn them off to get more screen real estate.

guest4733

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 02:03:13 am »

Is anyone else here an AutoCAD user? Zooming and panning are constantly used when working in CAD. AutoCAD has very fast control for this because they are used so often. It's really only three simple things that make it work:

1. The mouse scroll wheel zooms in and out. Unlike other application zooms, AutoCAD's is different; the zoom is centered on the mouse cursor, not on the center of the screen. The cursor-centered zooming is a nice feature once you learn how it works, but can be very disconcerting to a new user. When dealing with floor plans in Vera's interface, however, it would be a good feature to have. So perhaps being able to toggle this feature on and off would be good.

2. When holding down the middle mouse button, moving the mouse pans the view.

3. Double-clicking the middle mouse button zoom the plan to fit the extent of all objects (called "zoom all"). Usually this zooms out so that you can see everything, but if you are already zoomed out so that everything you have drawn fits in less than 100% of the screen, AutoCAD will zoom in.

AutoCAD's pan and zoom is so good that the program does not need scrollbars; experienced users just turn them off to get more screen real estate.

Indeed AutoCAD is the best in showing and operate plans with fast access to every feature.

Offline B0SST0N

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 04:33:38 pm »
Screenshots of my 4 "sections" as promised. I'd like to be able to put all of this in 1 section but it is just ends up too small... notice I have a section just for scenes... I think they clutter-up the floorplan too much. Most of these are just timers I don't need to see. I would like to see scenes implemented in another way so they are easily accessible, but not viewed on the floorplan unless you specifically want them to be. I also think they do not belong in the big "Devices" pullout. It would be nice to be able to have a bunch of scene icons to choose from so you could choose your own and the scene would be easier to identify among the masses of objects.

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 07:25:49 pm »
Wow. Rooms full of indistinguishable little tiny icons.
Vera123beta; Schlage, Kwikset, TZEMT400; Linksys cams, Smarteye cams, HSM100; Aeon, Everspring, Cooper, Leviton, Intermatic, FortrezZ, Global Caché, USB-UIRT, Somfy, etc.

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 07:36:34 pm »
@CMRancho.... you beat me to it ;-) ROTFL

Offline B0SST0N

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 10:26:34 pm »
Yes, the scenes are very difficult for me to tell apart... the devices haven't been that bad because I have placed them in the locations where they exist so I can usually know what it is (that doesnt help anybody else). I had to split it into these 4 sections because having everything on 1 section was just waaaaaay too tiny (couldnt see the numbers on the thermostat icons etc...)