Author Topic: Grasshopper Universal Phone App Released  (Read 4621 times)

Offline mramgine

Re: Grasshopper Universal Phone App Released
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »
- When you say "doesn't refresh" what do you mean?  are you talking about the status area?  There is a little bit of a disconnect between the device view and the status area.  I can push updates to the status area but not the other way while the device is open.  Its just a limitation that will most likely
- The auto refresh is just a delay added to the service call.  When you do a status update there is a parameter you can add to delay the return so it waits for the first change found or that timeout.
- Actually i saw the dupe thing the other day but was having a hard time repoing.  As soon as i refreshed it cleared.  It appears to be something related to only the hiding functionality so i'll need to look into it.
- I'm still looking into the weird character thing, but now since the big issues seem to have been mostly fixed i'll be able to have a look at that.  I'm starting to wonder if there is more too it since this app is not silverlight based so i'll need to do a little research.  I think you created an account for me, so make sure to leave that open.... I'll be looking at it this week.

Thanks for reporting those issues.
My Z-Wave: 1x Vera (FW 1.0.979, Dongle 2.78), 1x Intermatic HA03C, 1x Intermatic HA05C, 1x Intermatic HA02C, 1x Wayne Dalton WDTC-20

Offline korttoma

• Keep it simple, stupid
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 12:35:30 am »
By auto refresh I thought that if  I change the status directly from Vera for a device this auto refresh would synchronize the status in the app with the new status from Vera without pushing the refresh button. I just feel like I have to hit the refresh button all the time ti get the correct status when operating devices.

By doesn't refresh in expanded view I meant that if the value for say a dimmer has changed and I hit the refresh button and while it is refreshing (before it is done) I open the dimmer device the new values will not get available in the device view but only in the status area. If I close the device view and reopen it does contain the new values.

I'm glad you managed to track down the issue with the Scandinavian letters and are looking forward to your next update.
- Tomas

Offline mramgine

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 09:26:02 am »
So the behavior is that when you interact with the device it will update the status area right after execution, if the service call didn't fail.  It will only update the variables it can, based on the actions metadata definition.  So in the case of a dimmer you have two controls on/off and 0-100.  These are actually completely different services with different variables that may or may not exist on every device.  Depending on which of those controls you use it will update the appropriate status data without doing an explicit refresh.  I did this so the user gets immediate feedback if the service call didn't fail.  It gives the illusion of speed, but typically this only affects one variable.  Everything on vera is done async so i have no idea when the updated values will be there... or for that matter how many variables will be changed.  Sometimes it take 1 sec other times 10 secs.  But the limitation is the other controls are not tied to each other so they don't update.  So the switch doesn't change just because the dimmer does.  It's a limitation i'm aware of that i'm evaluating how to enhance.  The reason it worked differently in the old app was that it was all hardcoded.   I need to figure out a way to correct this using only meta data, which drives how it builds those UIs.... thats how i'm able to easily support lots of plugins without harcoding anything.   The easy fix is i make the entire device view refresh each time you do something... however i think that would be weird for the user seeing it open and close like that.   That's why you see the device close when you do a refresh.  The list and the device item info are not really connected so closing it guarantees you don't see stale data.   You will also notice if you have the device open and you use a quick action it doesn't auto update the device area underneath, again same limitation.   The short answer is its on my list of things to figure out, but i figured for now it was an acceptable limitation.

My Z-Wave: 1x Vera (FW 1.0.979, Dongle 2.78), 1x Intermatic HA03C, 1x Intermatic HA05C, 1x Intermatic HA02C, 1x Wayne Dalton WDTC-20

Offline korttoma

• Keep it simple, stupid
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 02:45:03 am »
I can confirm that my Scandinavian letters are now shown correctly, thanks for your effort.

Thanks also for explaining the limitations about the refreshing of statuses. I guess I just expected the new app to behave similar to the old one.

EDIT:
My phone has crashed twice already when using the app. I had to remove the battery to restart it.

First it crashed when I tried to change view and second time I was editing the icon for a device. Have not found any steps to reproduce it.

I'm using a Nokia Lumia 820 with OS version: 8.10.14234.375
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:26:13 am by korttoma »
- Tomas

Offline mramgine

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 09:00:57 am »
Hmm... that must be something else i haven't hit before.   I've been considering moving all the in-memory logging to the database, then it would be available to send when you restart the app. 

Offline tomgru

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 12:53:07 pm »
hey there.... trying out actions again... couple of major things :-)

1. when i try to invoke voice with "grasshopper run xxx"... Cortana still does a web search.  I've confirmed in the voice commands menu that the command is there.

when i also try to add an action to an NFC tag under 'assign', the only two options i get under "type" is tile and location.  NFC not available.

Offline mramgine

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 03:05:13 pm »
I think in cortana settings somewhere you can see apps that have registered commands.  Do you see anything for Grasshopper?  I can only suspect there is some loophole that i'm not able to currently repo that causes them not be be registered.  Are you getting any errors when you start the app, since that is where that registering happens?  As for the NFC,  that option is hidden if it does not detect NFC.  If i disable it in the phone settings it disappears in the app and vice-versa.  If your NFC is ON and its still not showing then let me know so i can look further into microsofts api's.

Offline tomgru

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 10:34:14 am »
I think in cortana settings somewhere you can see apps that have registered commands.  Do you see anything for Grasshopper?  I can only suspect there is some loophole that i'm not able to currently repo that causes them not be be registered.  Are you getting any errors when you start the app, since that is where that registering happens?  As for the NFC,  that option is hidden if it does not detect NFC.  If i disable it in the phone settings it disappears in the app and vice-versa.  If your NFC is ON and its still not showing then let me know so i can look further into microsofts api's.

Deep.. turn NFC on...  :)

As for Cortana, I found the directions to check, but I don't seem to have this option. Doesn't work with other apps either, so its not your issue. 😞

Offline mramgine

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 02:24:59 pm »
 ;)  Well at least its one less bug to fix.