Author Topic: SSH Listening, but won't let me in.  (Read 1716 times)

Offline eo

SSH Listening, but won't let me in.
« on: May 11, 2015, 11:02:25 pm »
I recently added (about two weeks ago) a camera to my Vera 3 running the latest UI7.  About a week later, I seem to be dead in the water.

Let me explain a little:
My Vera is about 200 miles from me.  I can't just go and unplug it.
According to the Web Remote Access, "Error: Unable to communicate with your unit. Please be sure the unit is powered and connected to Internet."

I can VPN to the network the Vera is on and can observe the following with nmap:
PORT   STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open  ssh
53/tcp open  domain

If I try and SSH to the system using the wrong username/password combination, I get the following message:
Permission denied, please try again.

If I try and SSH to the system using the correct username/password, the system seems to just hang.

While I don't expect to fix this without a hard reset, I wanted to bring it to the attention of the MCV/Vera developers in that SSH (or the login subsystem) seems to have a dependency that can (and did) fail.  If anyone has suggestions on how to resolve this without laying hands on, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: SSH Listening, but won't let me in.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 12:10:43 am »
Can you get to port 80 while you are inside your VPN?

Can you run a command (rather than get an interactive shell) with an SSH command?

My guess is that a (RAM) disk is full or some other abnormal condition.

Offline eo

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:51:53 pm »
Thanks for checking in futzle!

Can you get to port 80 while you are inside your VPN?
No, it doesn't appear to be listening on port 80 (although it usually does).

Can you run a command (rather than get an interactive shell) with an SSH command?
No.  It just hangs.  I'm just trying to run the following, but am never prompted for my password:
ssh 10.10.87.2 -l root /etc/init.d/lighthttpd restart

I would agree that I'm definitely in a pickle.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that a power bounce happens and the Vera comes up just fine after.

Offline eo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:10:03 am »
Power bounce happened and the device came up just fine.  No filled disks, nothing special or of note in the logs.  :-(