We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: openLuup - running unmodified plugins on any machine  (Read 149247 times)

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
Re: openLuup - running unmodified plugins on any machine
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2015, 05:55:11 am »
Can you send me a directory listing of your openLuup directory?

Forget that - so sorry - this is my problem: I screwed up the zip file for the release 2.  How that happened, I have no idea.

Will repost shortly.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2015, 06:04:00 am »
Apologies to any out there struggling with the new release (there have been a few downloads.)

The .zip file was in error and has now (hopefully) been corrected as updated on this post: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,32315.msg243104.html#msg243104
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline d55m14

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2015, 02:36:11 pm »
Hi akbooer,

tnks now the release 2 seems ok. Perhaps I'll have to annoy you again because I'm trying to setup a configuration with Openluup , several Datayour watchers remote and one central Datayours with only cache, dash, graph.

tnks again

donato

Offline mda

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2015, 02:39:30 pm »
@akbooer Would it be possible to run the Blue Iris plug in or direct camera devices on openLuup so I can offload cameras from my Vera but still have the HomeWave app and VeraAlerts access them? Thanks.

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »
tnks now the release 2 seems ok. Perhaps I'll have to annoy you again because I'm trying to setup a configuration with Openluup , several Datayour watchers remote and one central Datayours with only cache, dash, graph.

Not annoying at all!  Glad the updated release 2 file seems OK.  The DataYours configuration sounds straightforward ( I run one like it.). Perhaps continue that discussion on the DY on RPi thread.

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2015, 03:10:14 pm »
Would it be possible to run the Blue Iris plug in or direct camera devices on openLuup so I can offload cameras from my Vera but still have the HomeWave app and VeraAlerts access them?

Interesting thought.  I run HomeWave on my 4 real Vera's, but haven't tried this with openLuup.  The whole idea is that it should work with these types of remotes.  ALTUI is a good test for that, I think.

I know nothing about Blue Iris and haven't had a camera on Vera for several years, but I'm willing to see what needs to be done.  If it uses direct Luasocket calls, then this should be fine, but it may need to wait for the asynchronous io package which is in the works.  There may be a couple of camera-specific Luup requests which I haven't implemented, but that shouldn't be a problem.  The goal is to have a fairly complete implementation.

I'll take a look at the Blue Iris plugin but if you have any insight then please share.

---

Edit:  I've just looked on GitHub and the implementation file seems very standard, so the plugin itself should run.    The actions are just a bunch of HTTP requests using luup.inet.wget which is fully functional in openLuup.  I don't know if ALTUI has implemented a display panel for this?? (Maybe it doesn't need much of one?)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:41:55 pm by akbooer »

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2015, 03:49:21 pm »
Hi @akbooer

Hope you're well.

While I'm not as active as I used to be in this forum due to other commitments, my own attempts at getting OpenHAB to work with Vera have never gone well, so much so, that I've given up :)

Anyway I digress, after stumbling across your post, I felt it was just another example of the great ideas you have, and I really admire your commitment & dedication to the cause..

If it's  of any help/interest, thinking of how I would use it - nowadays wherever possible I look to use my QNAP NAS as much as possible to run such such apps, so if you would ever consider creating an install file for the main NASs (QNAP .qpkg & Synololgy) - I'd be a willing tester :) ?

Like you, I've invested a lot of time/effort (swear words) in VERA/MIOS/LUA/LUUP etc. over the years that I'd love to find a way to keep using it all, and if I could get it more running on my NAS (natively)  it would be a great addition.

I'm not quite at my 2000 post yet, but getting closer :)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:53:16 pm by parkerc »

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2015, 03:54:43 pm »
Would it be possible to run the Blue Iris plug in or direct camera devices on openLuup so I can offload cameras from my Vera but still have the HomeWave app and VeraAlerts access them?

So far, so good.  Here's a snapshot of some of the device actions running under ALTUI / openLuup.

How to take this further I couldn't say, not having a camera or a Blue Iris server.

-----------

Edit: I've tried out HomeWave, and that works with openLuup too!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:20:45 pm by akbooer »

Offline mda

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2015, 10:57:03 pm »
Thanks! I will install openLuup on my Mac and test with the cameras and HomeWave tonight or tomorrow.

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2015, 12:52:46 am »
Hi @akbooer

Hope you're well.
Hi @parkerc !  Great to hear from you after a long while - you have been to blame as the source of several GREAT IDEAS in the past!

While I'm not as active as I used to be in this forum due to other commitments, my own attempts at getting OpenHAB to work with Vera have never gone well, so much so, that I've given up :)
Now that IS interesting.  I've looked from a distance at OpenHAB and worried about the difficulties of switching to it.  It does, however, have a large and active community.  I've noted the comments about how RPi, etc, is not perhaps powerful enough, and startup times are long.   The level of computing required in home automation should not, really, be that onerous.  openLuup starts up in seconds, uses only a modest amount of memory and an even more modest amount of cpu - after startup my system bridged to four Veras with ~200 devices and running ALTUI, Netatmo and DataYours only uses ~10 Mbytes and ~2% of the cpu! (on a BeagleBone Black)

If it's  of any help/interest, thinking of how I would use it - nowadays wherever possible I look to use my QNAP NAS as much as possible to run such such apps, so if you would ever consider creating an install file for the main NASs (QNAP .qpkg & Synololgy) - I'd be a willing tester :) ?

Like you, I've invested a lot of time/effort (swear words) in VERA/MIOS/LUA/LUUP etc. over the years that I'd love to find a way to keep using it all, and if I could get it more running on my NAS (natively)  it would be a great addition.
My current NAS is an Apple Time Capsule - so not as open as the ones you list - but my understanding is that if it's basically Unix underneath the covers and you can configure it to run Lua then you should be fine.  I don't know anything (yet) about creating specific installs for them.  My goal at the moment has been smaller systems like BeagleBone Black and Raspberry Pi, and I've just acquired an Arduino Yun, which has an onboard openWRT system (as does Vera.)  Although I've created a VeraBridge for Z-wave components, the future direction will be open-source Arduino-based sensors a la MySensors.org.

Hard to debug without having the actual hardware, so if you care to see how easy it is to get Lua running on your NAS, I'm very happy to collaborate.

I'm not quite at my 2000 post yet, but getting closer :)
Very close!  Hang in there.  I have to say that off-loading apps to openLuup has done wonders for my Vera systems stability and they typically run for weeks without restarts now.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:54:55 am by akbooer »

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2015, 03:47:54 pm »
Attached you will find a new startup file for openLuup, which checks the installation for anomalies like missing files or directories before launching openLuup.  It aborts if there's a fatal flaw in the setup configuration, but otherwise issues warning messages to standard output.  This should be a great help to diagnosing any initial configuration problems without having to trouble shoot logs or the like.

If you're starting openLuup with the "nohup" command, then standard output is redirected to the file "nohup.out".

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2015, 05:06:58 pm »
Hey @akbooer !

Looking into the process for creating an install package for my QNAP, I came across the following documents.

http://download.qnap.com/dev/QDK_Quick_Start_Guide_v4_eng.pdf
https://www.qnap.com/event/dev/uk/p_qdk.php#qdk_btn1_show

Based upon your guide Lua 5.1 and luascockets needs to be installed as part of the process and then there's a directory structure to be created.  It seems like it is doable but I fear my Linux skills are so poor, I'm going to struggle.

As the QNAP already has a web services running, the ability to use ALT UI too would be awesome - plus being able to VPN in to the NAS too (with 2 factor auth), it could even allow me to explore the potential of not having my Vera exposed directly to the Internet.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:08:38 pm by parkerc »

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2015, 05:29:44 pm »
Looking into the process for creating an install package for my QNAP, I came across the following documents...

I'm really hoping you wouldn't need all that.  You really on need to be able to ssh in to the NAS and then do a bit of hacking.  I found this: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=101092

However, without the hardware, it's hard for me to go further.

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2015, 06:24:45 pm »
Agreed, SSH would be a way to go, but I do like a challenge  :P and I was thinking that if I could turn your steps into an install package, it would make things easier for others.

Plus if successfull it would also place an icon on the QNAP dashboard, which anyone with access to my NAS could then use to run the ALT UI.

All of this is very new ground for me, so I've kicked off a thread on the QNAP site too to see if I could get any support there as well to package up your openLuup initiative :)

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=112659&p=493669#p493669
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:29:31 pm by parkerc »

Offline mvader

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2015, 09:50:13 am »
picked up a rpi2 the other day and am ready to give this a go.
i downloaded the release2.zip but didn't see any docs to get it installed.
can someone point me to the install instructions?
Thanks