We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: RESOLVED: Does insteon interfere with Zwave?  (Read 1599 times)

Offline 93732

RESOLVED: Does insteon interfere with Zwave?
« on: May 29, 2015, 06:23:40 pm »
Does insteon interfere with Zwave?

I have about 20-30 zwave devices paired with a Vera 3 on UI5.  I also have an ISY994i paired with about 25 insteon water leak sensors. I recently added two Insteon 6-button KeypadLincs and one Insteon On/Off SwitchLinc.  One of the Keypadlincs is located about 1 foot away from my Kwikset Zwave deadbolt.  I noticed that the Kwikset deadbolt has problems communicating with the Vera 3.  When I lock and unlock the Kwikset manually, the status is not updated in Vera.  I can remotely lock and unlock from the Vera web interface (but it has problems polling the deadbolt after the command is sent).  This suggests a communications error.  It started after I installed the Keypadlinc.  The Kwikset deadbolt has been working fine for the past 3 months.  I am doing a zwave system-wide auto heal and will report back. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:34:51 am by 93732 »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: Does insteon interfere with Zwave?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:24:58 pm »
Check your batteries on the lock as well.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Does insteon interfere with Zwave?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 08:09:58 am »
No. Insteon should not interfere with Z-Wave. In the U.S. they operate on separate non-overlapping frequencies:
  • Insteon 915MHz & 131KHz over power line.
  • Z-Wave 908.42Mhz

As @RichardTSchaefer suggested, check the batteries in the lock. Also, did you remove a Z-Wave device, such as a swicth, to install the Insteon ones. If you removed a Z-Wave device that was serviing as a routing node(with Beaming) that may be a contributor to your lock issues.

Offline 93732

Re: RESOLVED: Does insteon interfere with Zwave?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 01:47:15 am »
Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys.  I gave been researching the problem and looking at my logs over the past 7 days.  I have concluded that the new Insteon switches I installed do *not* interfere with my Zwave door locks.  After I installed the insteon Keypadlincs and switchlincs, it appeared as if my Kwikset door locks where not communicating with my Vera 3 because my lock and unlock scenes were not firing.  I thought I would try a zwave network heal to see if my locks could find a new nodes to hop from.  That didn't work.  I looked at logs and found that luup reloading often and so my scenes were not executing--making it look like my locks where not communicating with the Vera. I remembered that I added several Vera notifications to test out the function (Using garretwp's and PurdueGuy's ISY994i to Vera plugin).  However the notifications were not being sent.  Not even the verification emails were received.  Email notifications worked fine before. I deleted all notifications from my system and I have not had a random luup reload the past 3-4 days.  The wave locks are functioning fine again.  However, one of my far-away locks required a different device to hop/route (I am doing manual wave routing) then when I did not have the insteon switches.  A little strange, but I am just happy my system is working correctly again after disabling all vera email notifications.