We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Best looking smarthome app  (Read 3328 times)

Offline mrv777

Best looking smarthome app
« on: May 29, 2015, 09:50:54 am »
Hello,

I was going to try and create an Android/iOS app for Vera (not sure if I can do it, but I want to try  :)), and was wondering what are some people's favorite looking smarthome apps?  This can be for any platform.  I would like to hear what people like and look for in the app.
For example, I think the attached image is a neat outdoor look for a smarthome app.

Thanks!

Offline tomtcom

• Beta Testers
Re: Best looking smarthome app
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:01:54 pm »
Hello,

I was going to try and create an Android/iOS app for Vera (not sure if I can do it, but I want to try  :)), and was wondering what are some people's favorite looking smarthome apps?  This can be for any platform.  I would like to hear what people like and look for in the app.
For example, I think the attached image is a neat outdoor look for a smarthome app.

Thanks!

I like the pic, is that an app or a concept drawing?

ImperiHome and AuthomationHD are probably the highest rated apps in terms of customization, looks, and features. ImperiHome is on the Play Store and you have to pay for the pro version, that's fine it's worth it. AuthomationHD has stopped development but a very solid app.

No one really likes Vera's app.

I would like themes (at least light and dark), I really like the pic you provided but probably that is the best for a tablet or computer. Dynamic icons of the state of the device like ImperiHome does, the ability to poll a device, see battery, add custom variables, check variables, show autoroute and manual route, network map of neighbors, and be able to perform all functions the PC browser version can do.

There should also be good Tasker integration.

So sleek graphics, high quality icons, additional data that could be gathered from the phone or tablet like all the weather data and what not.

In your pic, if the house area affected like a door could "light up" that would be neat too.

Offline NickTheGreat

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 04:44:15 pm »
I use Authomation and Imperihome. They're both good in different ways.

I really want something that shows a graphical shot of the room and you touch the light to turn on.

I think that would be intuitive, and maybe my in laws could figure out!

Offline tomtcom

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 05:30:21 pm »

I really want something that shows a graphical shot of the room and you touch the light to turn on.

I agree, it's actually already available but it's specific to some custom home design/automation reseller or company. Can't remember who they were but they made it look very similar to the picture from the OP and you could touch an area and turn on the light.

Offline NickTheGreat

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 12:40:08 pm »

I agree, it's actually already available but it's specific to some custom home design/automation reseller or company. Can't remember who they were but they made it look very similar to the picture from the OP and you could touch an area and turn on the light.
I think Openremote could do it, but I'm not sure how well it works with Vera.  I've looked into it a few times and it seemed over my head!

Offline slief

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 01:11:21 pm »

Homewave can do it. You load an image of your floorplan as a background image and insert the switch controls for the different locations within the house. Take a look at this thread. You can see several peoples screeen shots showing their floorplan layout with switch control for each room or light.
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14046.0.html

Offline slief

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 09:52:44 pm »

I mentioned HomeWave in my previous post. This is a floorplan I've been working on for a couple days using a free program called Sweet Home 3D. It's a pretty slick program and easy to figure out. This is a screen shot of my current HomeWave screen for my downstairs lighting. The switch buttons are placed in approximate locations of the existing lights. I still have a bit more detail to add to my floorplan as well as color changes and window size adjustments but I am really pleased so far. Especially given that I only have a couple hours invested in this and that includes the learning curve of dumb thumbing my way through it. I can change the angle, rotate the house etc. It creates a full 3D model that you can create an image of and them use that image as the backdrop for the screen/interface. With HomeWave, you can have multiple screens so I will create another layout for the upstair lighting as well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:55:28 pm by slief »

Offline NickTheGreat

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 10:54:45 am »
I forgot to mention that I'm not an Apple guy. 

I tried to get Openremote installed over the weekend.  It should work on my Synology NAS, but it is being stupid.  And I didn't have much more than an hour or two to look into it.