We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: NEW MultiWave Pool Controller  (Read 174951 times)

Offline dkeefe

Re: NEW MultiWave Pool Controller
« Reply #390 on: July 19, 2013, 08:17:39 am »
first of all, there is nothing you can do about the water temp not reflecting the pool temp if the pump isn't running. that's life. in reality, that is ideal in a freezing environment as the water in the pipe will freeze before the pool does, and this will trigger the freeze protection earlier.

as far as the difference in temp between vera and the multiwave, I don't know. as you found out, when the multiwave is joined to vera, the remote doesn't work so I have removed the multiwave from vera as I need the remote to work. It could be a rounding error between the display and what is communicated to vera.

with the older vera software, you could control the multiwave with vera and the remote like you would expect. the temp control didn't work though. at some point they broke this functionality. I'm sure if you file a bug report with vera they'll say it is a multiwave problem. it might be. they both blame each other.

so right now you choice is either control it with vera of with the remote. sorry. :(

Offline karmabiker

« Reply #391 on: July 19, 2013, 02:41:14 pm »
Now vera here yet...  Just thinking.

How well does the vera interface work to run the pool if I join the 653 to the vera and let the remote sit on the shelf collecting dust until they figure out who broke what?  ...really surprised that vera and intermatic are still pointing fingers.

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #392 on: July 19, 2013, 02:42:40 pm »
it should work just fine, but if new owners don't complain it will never get fixed.

Offline karmabiker

« Reply #393 on: July 19, 2013, 02:50:47 pm »
Gotcha.

I wonder how many people are holding off on buying a vera (like me) until this gets resolved....

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #394 on: July 19, 2013, 02:51:40 pm »
I'd be willing to bet that number isn't very large.

Offline Bb98

• Sr. Newbie
Re: NEW MultiWave Pool Controller - Now Working as Expected
« Reply #395 on: July 26, 2013, 06:38:20 pm »
Well happy days, it's working the way I would expect it to  :)

Vera is the primary controller and can control the Multi-Wave.
1) A _Pool Control thermostat shows up in Vera and displays the temperature (CurrentTemperature) - I renamed the control
2) Clicking the +/- buttons on the thermostat sets the set point - eventually, takes awhile to update (CurrentSetpoint and SetpointTarget)
3) When the thermostat showed up so did _Appliance Modules for each of the buttons:
    a) Button 1 - pool pump on/off
    b) Button 2 - pool light on/off
    c) Button 3 - booster pump (sweeper) on/off
    d) Button 4 - not configured
    e) Button 5 - pool heater on/off (fireman switch on pool heater)

The remote (PE953) is a secondary scene controller- each of its buttons controls the corresponding device as listed above.
The button numbers display in the remote's screen when it is pressed and the device turned on.
If the device is turned on/off through vera, the remote's screen is updated to show the status (button number displays or doesn't display)
The remote displays the temperature.

The remote and vera showed a temperature 1 degree less than the pool heater's readout.  Via the remote, I calibrated the Multi-Wave temperature adding 1 degree to the pool - now all three devices show the same temperature (still some lag in the updates and the pump needs to be running for any of the devices to get a good temperature - as expected)

What was the magic to make it work?
1) After getting the MultiWave all wired up, reset the remote and the MutliWave from the remote.
2) Bring the vera to the MultiWave and include the MultiWave as a device
3) Put the vera back in its "home" place - the thermostat and modules should show up in vera.
4) In vera, add the PE953 as a secondary controller
   a) Locate the PE953 close to vera
   b) On the vera goto Devices -> Add Devices -> Advanced Z-Wave devices -> Add One
   c) On the PE953 goto the Cntrl Option screen, select #3 Recv Net and Cfg - after several seconds the remote will display succesful ...
   d) ... and become a brick (stay lit, can't exit menu)
   e) take out a battery to reset the remote
   f) put the battery back in, remote will show 31-S in the upper corner
5) Take the remote close to the MultiWave, enter learn mode and select Include Device
6) Press the include button on the Multiwave
7) Walla - the multiwave is included to the remote and can now be controlled by the remote or vera

It was the last three steps that I was not getting at all (being a newbie and all -  ;) )
Vera support downgraded my vera - not sure that was necessary now that I know the steps (but will test that well after the celebration ends).

For tonight - we're celebrating with some cold suds by the pool and we'll be flipping pumps and lights on and off throughout the night!

Oh and as added bonus, plug for SQRemote HD, - I can do all the above from my iPhone / iPad (but they aren't water proof  :D )
Vera Plus 20 switches/dimmers, Garage Door Opener, Thermostat, Pool Control - Pump, Sweeper and Lights | Bose SoundTouch | Amazon Echo Spot and Dot | Sony AVR

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #396 on: July 27, 2013, 01:14:15 pm »
yeah!

I think part of your success is due to the fact that your multiwave is running older fw. version 31 is one version behind. iirc with 32, I don't get those options to include a device after adding it as a secondary controller, but I'd have to do the process again to be sure.

what version of fw are you running on your vera? what do you mean that vera had to downgrade you (zwave fw or regular fw?)?

Thanks!

Offline Bb98

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #397 on: July 30, 2013, 03:43:31 am »

Micase Support said ...

"I've downgraded the z-wave firmware on your Vera unit because as far as I know you need to have version 2.78 installed in order for the PE953 to work correctly."
Vera Plus 20 switches/dimmers, Garage Door Opener, Thermostat, Pool Control - Pump, Sweeper and Lights | Bose SoundTouch | Amazon Echo Spot and Dot | Sony AVR

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #398 on: July 30, 2013, 08:09:11 am »

Micase Support said ...

"I've downgraded the z-wave firmware on your Vera unit because as far as I know you need to have version 2.78 installed in order for the PE953 to work correctly."

thanks for the clarification. What fw are you running on vera?

Offline Bb98

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #399 on: August 04, 2013, 08:16:37 am »
Sorry for delayed response - been out of the country for the last week.

The verea firmware is 1.5.622

Offline Ndemarco

« Reply #400 on: August 05, 2013, 07:48:42 am »
MultiWave v31 works as described by Bb98. You must downgrade the Z-Wave firmware to 2.78 before including the PE953 remote. Once the 953 is joined, you can revert the firmware. This has to do with Z-Wave's Secondary Inclusion Server (SIS) implementation. v32 has apparently broken this. I am hoping to be proven wrong.

MCV can modify your Vera implementation so the temp control works well.

Offline blueman2

• Sr. Newbie
Update on PE653RC 3.2 Firmeware
« Reply #401 on: August 05, 2013, 01:27:39 pm »
I talked to Intermatic tech support today.  Man, are they ever great!  Their lead support guy on the PE653 spent about 30 minutes talking me though all the features in 3.2.  And it was on his vacation day!  He knew everything!

Here is some more detail on the Service Countdown Timer Mode added in V3.2 firmware.  It allows you to turn a variable speed pump connected to the PE653RC on or off without access to the remote control  Great feature for pool maintenance people.  Press the 1 button on the control box (not the remote) for about 5 seconds.  If the pumps was on, you just press 1 again and it will turn off.   If the pool pump was off, the light will start to blink, then press 1 for 1 hour pump time, 2 for 2 hour pump time, etc.  Up to 5 hours run time can be programmed. 

Also, he said the new 5043 Valve Controller will be coming out end of this year.  It will be controlled by the RS485 port.  It will provide 4 valve actuator connections: 2 for pool/spa controls, 1 for water feature, and 1 for solar control.  This will free up circuit 4 which had been used for pool/spa control.  Also, the unit will add control relay for gas heater.  This will free up circuit 5 which was used for heater control.  If you use a VSP, you now will have 3 completely free relays on your PE653 to use for other features!  (circuit 1 is free since using VSP, circuit 4,5 are free as mentioned above.  Circuit 2 can be used for spa blower, circuit 3 for pool cleaner).  I am definitely going to buy the 5043 when it comes out.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:30:26 pm by blueman2 »

Offline Ndemarco

« Reply #402 on: August 05, 2013, 04:22:10 pm »
blueman2,

Great report! The new valve controller sounds perfect plus many of us will appreciate getting some of the precious five relays under user control.

Question: Do you have the new firmware working with Vera? Can you still use the PE953 handheld remote while the PE653 is connected to Vera?

Offline mr crewcab

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #403 on: August 29, 2013, 11:53:53 am »
Just did the install with version 3.2, everything mated up OK but with a vfd pump usefulness is very limited.

I did not get the thermostat for the heater to show up. has anyone had it show up with version 3.2?

It just gave me a point that is on when the heater is on but no setpoint

Kevin R

Offline mcoulter

« Reply #404 on: September 23, 2013, 01:17:17 pm »
Since the beginning of my time looking at this solution, I was always first drawn to MCV due to the community and willingness of developers to work to mend these tools together.  The only Z-Wave controller company that I thought was close to competing was HomeSeer but the price point was also a big factor.  Now that HomeSeer has released the HomeTroller Zee, I am wondering if I shouldn't take a harder look at them and how their interface interprets the Pool Commander/Multiwave.  Anyone experience those two together before?

http://www.homeseer.com/support/newsletters/current-promo.htm