We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: NEW MultiWave Pool Controller  (Read 182618 times)

Offline uskiman

Re: NEW MultiWave Pool Controller
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2011, 09:44:31 am »
Dkeefe

If you find any bugs you can email them to me at austianowski@intermatic.com and I will gladly verify and put the fixes in the next release.  Thanks for your support!

Aschwalb

The MultiWave will allow you to make the common adjustments to the AutoPilot chlorinators that have both the programming and 485 hardware support.  It will also show error codes and recommend fixes/adjustments to your system and/or pool.  As far as the Vera piece, that is totally up to Vera once again.  If they want to be active in expanding the capabilities of their product into the backyard, it would be to their advantage to make the necessary changes everyone is requesting. 

Offline MarkC

« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2011, 03:50:43 pm »
Hi Folks,

Anyone have any idea if you can control a variable speed pool pump through Vera with this setup?

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Minnies

« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2011, 11:11:44 pm »
The PE653 is capable of running a variable speed pump. Not sure how VERA interfaces it though.

Offline MarkC

« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2011, 07:07:48 pm »
Yep, I know I have one running on it, thanks. Just wondering if anyone knows how to turn it on and off with Vera, I've been messing with it but I can't find a way.

Perhaps this is an enhansement request? Who would we give that to? I guess both Intermaic and MV?

Thanks,

Mark

Offline mcoulter

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2011, 05:36:35 am »
Please try to contact MCV/MIOS support about getting a better interface for the Multiwave controller.  It does need to handle these pumps and also manage the temperature settings much like an HVAC control.  I cannot get any response back from MCV on moving ahead with this so if anyone else would like to get their attention please contact them directly as well.

Thanks!

Offline MarkC

« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2011, 09:56:20 am »
Please try to contact MCV/MIOS support about getting a better interface for the Multiwave controller.  It does need to handle these pumps and also manage the temperature settings much like an HVAC control.  I cannot get any response back from MCV on moving ahead with this so if anyone else would like to get their attention please contact them directly as well.

Thanks!

Will do! It would be cool to be able to control everything on it with Vera and iVera!

Offline pgiron

Re: NEW MultiWave Pool Controller Cost Estimate
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2011, 02:27:20 pm »
Just received cost estimate for install.. we currently have  heat pump, dial type pump timer, solar attic pool heat.

Parts: Intermatic Multiwave Control System, Water Sensor, Enclosure, Hand held Transmitter, Actuator Controller, Water Valve Actuators 1,080.00

Parts:
3 Way Jandy Valve 80.00

Parts: Wiring equipment 80.00

Labor: Install above equipment to control pool pump, Heat Pump, and Solar System

Note from pool company We need to leave your existing solar controller in place and add an additional valve to control turning the solar on/off. The multi-wave controls heat pumps but not solar systems. By adding a valve you can control turning the solar on and off with the multiwave and leave the existing solar temp control to handle the tempearture control of the solar. You'll still be able to see the temperature of the pool. The unit I quoted you is one part number PE24065RC and it contains all the items listed in the estimate.

The $1080 sounds really high for parts.Total $1686.80 w/ tax
What do you think?

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2011, 02:58:41 pm »
that looks to be about 100% markup.

I paid ~$400 for the multiwave system, air and water temp senors. I believe the water temp sensor is included, but I'm not 100% positive. It isn't really clear in the manual, and I ended up with a spare one as a result.

The actuator is ~$80, and the valve controller runs ~$150 - $200.

Do you have a spa or just a pool.

Offline pgiron

« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2011, 03:38:18 pm »
Just a pool.
Asked the pool guy to recheck his figures because I thought it was high. His reply...There are a wide variety of price points on the internet and in some cases people offer things far below our cost from distribution. The price I gave you is what we would charge to provide, install, support, and warranty the system. In order to warranty a product our manufacturers need to see that we purchased it through legitimate distribution channels. It is a widespread issue but one that we've been able to contain. We pride ourselves on our professionalism and excellent customer service. We always finish a job that we start and we fully support any equipment we provide and install. Our commitment to customer satisfaction is neither cheap or easy to provide but we do it anyway.

Time to look for someone else to do our pool maintenance also.  :-\

Offline mcoulter

« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2011, 07:20:14 pm »
We currently install pool and spa systems for about $995 as we buy a kit from Autopilot that is re-branded as the Autopilot Pool Commander.  Even if your pool is without a spa but you would want the remote to control your solar we would have to include the full installation price.  However on our pools that have solar they already have a separate controller that works just fine separate from the Multiwave unit so we don't bother connecting them (reducing the cost closer to $650).  We would charge a little for plumbing in an additional Jandy valve if needed but the other cost you mentioned does seem inflated.  I mean for that price we could throw in a Vera2... if it ever gets a good interface...

Offline pgiron

« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »
We currently install pool and spa systems for about $995 as we buy a kit from Autopilot that is re-branded as the Autopilot Pool Commander.  Even if your pool is without a spa but you would want the remote to control your solar we would have to include the full installation price.  However on our pools that have solar they already have a separate controller that works just fine separate from the Multiwave unit so we don't bother connecting them (reducing the cost closer to $650).  We would charge a little for plumbing in an additional Jandy valve if needed but the other cost you mentioned does seem inflated.  I mean for that price we could throw in a Vera2... if it ever gets a good interface...

I was hoping to be able to switch between solar and the regular pool heater remotely (turning each on and off). This is for a second home and it would be nice to pop the heat on remotely a day or so before we arrive. Depending on time of year it might be solar or it might need to be heat pump.

So you think you could do the multiwave , controlling pool pump timer, heat, solar,(already have vera up and running) for 650-995 depending on need for jandy valve? Not really interested in setting up any scenes. Just want the on /off remote ability.

What area are you located? Looking for help in Punta Gorda Fl area.
Thanks

Offline SuperflyMD

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2011, 07:43:47 pm »
We are just now digging the hole for our pool at our rental property. We have not, as far as I know, picked a native pool control system.  Is there one that works best with the multiwave?  Are there any steps we should take during the construction phase that will make integrating and using the multiwave easier or (and especially) cheaper?

Offline mcoulter

« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2011, 03:18:28 pm »
pgiron,
Sorry we are too far south to work that area (naples/marco).  Also, I wouldn't recommend actually using your Vera to run the Multiwave until a more complete set of features is designed for Vera to mimic the Multiwave remote.  I would only currently use the included remote for installation.  The current 3.20 Zwave upgrade makes the setup with Vera very difficult.  So I recommend it as a self contained unit or to use the PE953 remote to also run other lighting and equipment locally, but I cannot recommend using the Vera in the mix for now.

SuperflyMD,
The primary key to the construction is being sure that Jandy valves are being used to switch between pool and spa modes if you have a combo pool (or feature that requires a valve to turn).  That is usually a standard anyway.  If you are installing the multiwave at the same time as your other equipment, that will be the easiest installation. If you are installing a simple clock switch in the meantime be sure that it isn't mounted too close to other equipment on the wall... that is usually the most frustrating thing to me is trying to get a good spot to mount the wall equipment.  Also, be prepared to have the antenna extended with a Cat5 cable if your signal strength is low.  Other than that, you really do not have much to worry about. 

Keep in mind that you have 5 relays so you can run a pump on 1, a feature pump or spa blower on 2, a pool light on 3, if you have a pool/spa combo or valves to switch that will take up relay 4, if you have a heat pump that will take up relay 5.

Outside of that you can add other Zwave switches or outlets to your PE953 network so you can get creative controlling other devices as well.

Offline SuperflyMD

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2011, 04:11:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Last time I had to deal with this stuff was as a lifeguard twenty years ago on a pool that was already almost 15 years old. Everything was manual valves and big yellow vats of liquid chlorine. The world moves on.

We are building a heated pool with a spa. No solar for the time being. I'm told we are putting in Jandy valves. My plan is not to get the MultiWave until the kinks are worked out a bit more.  I'm too new in the z-wave game and too outdated in the pool game to do much beta testing at this point.

Offline pgiron

« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2011, 07:26:29 am »
pgiron,
Sorry we are too far south to work that area (naples/marco).  Also, I wouldn't recommend actually using your Vera to run the Multiwave until a more complete set of features is designed for Vera to mimic the Multiwave remote.  I would only currently use the included remote for installation.  The current 3.20 Zwave upgrade makes the setup with Vera very difficult.  So I recommend it as a self contained unit or to use the PE953 remote to also run other lighting and equipment locally, but I cannot recommend using the Vera in the mix for now.

If the multiwave was done, could it be used via vera to turn on or off the solar, as well as, turn on or off the heat pump? I'm really just looking for a way to turn on either the heat pump or the solar, remotely, so we can have a warm pool before we get there. Is there another way to do this with zwave?
Thanks again