We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: NEW MultiWave Pool Controller  (Read 180808 times)

Offline mcoulter

Re: NEW MultiWave Pool Controller
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2011, 03:51:32 pm »
Hey Allen,
Good to see you virtually :)  

Thanks for your interest in working with Vera and joining the conversations here.  I do hope that the MCV folk are close to having time to work with you on bringing your full feature set to their platform.  It is more aggressive equipment than other Z-wave devices but there is certainly a great deal of value in having strong compatibility between these components.  

I know that the Autopilot team is equally hoping that someone will round out these features before other competition comes along.  I was talking to a Hayward rep the other day and he showed me a demo of their Beta phase product with a wireless-to-lan controller for their equipment that would allow for remote control (via browser, ipad, etc.) of all pool/spa/heat controls as well as PH/ORP readings and salt levels if applicable.  I'm not sure what kind of wireless communication they are using for their equipment but I do hope that a well rounded z-wave solution gets to market first.

Thanks as always for your time,
Matt

Offline uskiman

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2011, 12:48:13 pm »
Hello everyone,

I’ve been out of town, so sorry for the delay.  Here are some answers for all of you.

dkeefe,

Yes!  The PE140 is nothing more than a P4043ME in an outside approved rain tight enclosure.  The $200 dollar price tag you found it for may be a bit expensive, but unfortunately I don’t have control over the sales price at both the internet and distributor level.  However, there isn’t anyone I’m aware of that offers just an actuator controller with a generic interface.  If you think about it, other than building it yourself, the only way you can get actuator control is by purchasing a large control system which is much more than $200 and usually more then what you need.

The ETA on the solar support will be about a year.  We need to redesign the P4043ME circuit board to work with the 485 connection on the MultiWave.  This will allow us to speak to each individual actuator instead of all three at one time.  Once we can assign an address to each actuator, we can then provide the solar programming support to the MultiWave.  Anyone who owns a MultiWave now will be able to update their software and purchase the proper circuit board from us and swap it out of the P4043ME they currently have installed.  All P4043ME models will come equipped with the new board once the new board is complete. 

I will try to setup the email alert when someone posts.  Problem is, my IT dept. may have something to say about that!  I’ll do what I can.

mcoulter,

Thanks for the welcome.  Yes I was aware of the Hayward progress and my best guess on the wireless communication they would be using is most likely propitiatory.  As you know, none of the three players have any desire to communicate outside of their control. 

Everyone, Keep the questions coming and I will do the best I can to answer more frequently.  Our goal is to complete this system and work with Vera as much as possible.  The industry needs an open system and we are busy working on the high end system which should bring more power to your finger tips.

Allen

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2011, 02:35:09 pm »
@uskiman

Thanks again:  Am looking for a solution that allows me to switch between pool/spa mode and pool with Kreepy and without Kreepy running...  Total of 5 valves.  Am happy to wait for the re-design, what pieces can I get today to do some and what will be better to wait on?  One of the tricky issues is that one of the valves has three main position to be in (return water valve, main, spa or both)  Can the actuators support this?

Offline uskiman

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2011, 04:50:16 pm »
aschwalb,

I can’t remember, is the Kreepy a pressure side cleaner that needs a booster pump?  Or is it just a vacuum side cleaner?

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2011, 05:03:52 pm »
@uskiman,

just needs a valve switched.  Thanks!

Offline mcoulter

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2011, 05:08:37 pm »
Hey Allen,
Just installed another Multiwave today!  I was wondering if you have had any further communication with MiCasaVerde regarding controlling the temperature set points.  I have emailed them and am confused if they think you need to provide more information of if they are just needed to do some more work on their end. 

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2011, 02:52:40 pm »
One of the tricky issues is that one of the valves has three main position to be in (return water valve, main, spa or both)  Can the actuators support this?

I think that may be a problem. All of the vales I've seen only stop at two positions, not three. Based on how they operate, I don't think that would be possible.

I think you would need to put the kreepy on it's own 2 port valve and add another actuator.

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2011, 02:53:33 pm »
Thanks again Allen.

I'm glad to see that you guys are still working on it.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2011, 12:27:11 pm »
One of the tricky issues is that one of the valves has three main position to be in (return water valve, main, spa or both)  Can the actuators support this?

I think that may be a problem. All of the vales I've seen only stop at two positions, not three. Based on how they operate, I don't think that would be possible.

I think you would need to put the kreepy on it's own 2 port valve and add another actuator.

This is for the return.  Return is plumped to go to Spa and Pool with one Jandy valve.  If I want water circulating to both the valve is in the middle.  If I want just pool then close off SPa if I want just Spa then close off the Pool side other wise in the middle... 

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2011, 02:12:46 pm »
ok, but my statement still stands - I haven't seen an actuator that can stop at more than two positions.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2011, 02:42:50 pm »
@dkeefe

gotchya...  Does it matter if if the two positions are 90 degrees apart versus 180?.  Then I could do two postions.  Middle and spa only.

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2011, 02:52:09 pm »
no. they are all "programmable". you can set the stops in most at 90 degree increments.

Offline mcoulter

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2011, 05:53:23 pm »
You can actually set them to any degree you want.   You have to take off the outer shell and set the degree points for the upper and lower microswitch positions however they best manage your flow for your needs.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2011, 11:21:19 am »
Ok then

To take a baby step in pool control.  Do I just buy the MultiWave and use it as the pump timer and then later add valve control etc...?  I want to put my pump at least under Vera control to start (I realize the I just buy a pump start relay and add a zwave relay to it).  I will want to do valve control later so I would start with the multiwave.  Do I need to buy a relay to control a 220v pump or is that built in?  Does Vera support this ok?

Offline NovaIceman

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2011, 01:23:05 am »
Hey Allen,

Been about a year now, updated the PE953 and PE653 to the latest rev.  had control of the individual relays with status feedback, but seems like we are still missing some key items.  Still don't see a way to read the temps.  The doc you sent out last year says the PE653 supports the Command Class Sensor Multistate for the Temperature.  Do you know if that is supported and what the variable name is we would request from the PE653?  I also don't see anything on the Z-Wave side for monitoring or controlling the VFD speeds.  Is that something that is planned?

Thanks in advance