We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Econet Z-Wave AC Vent User Thread. Share setup, programming, etc.  (Read 14772 times)

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
Re: Econet Z-Wave AC Vent User Thread. Share setup, programming, etc.
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 04:40:08 pm »
Maybe I can post the procedure and files specifically for the vents.
I spent some time reading the icon section on the plugin wiki and modified the json files. The vents were by far the most challenging since.

Here is how to modify yours. As of right now I am hosting all the icons on my home NAS. I have no cloud service anywhere so...
The alternative is to put them on your vera but then they will be visible only locally as I have not yet found a folder that I can access and which can be accessed by the getvera server remotely to store the icons.
1. Download the attached json file to your computer.
2. Go to the apps/develop apps/luup file in the vera UI7 UI.
3. Upload the downloaded file and let the luup reload. (keep the box checked)
4. Next go to your vent device and under advanced, go to the device file and replace the dimming light device_file file with D_WindowCovering1.xml,
5. replace the device_json with D_WindowCovering1.json.

It should display the icons I have.
Yes, I am using the window covering device logic for the vents because it is better suited. The device itself was apparently never updated for UI6/7 use as it is clearly written for UI5. It still works, the logo just didn't. It works very well. It is a good stop gap until vera decides to add support for the vents.

I may eventually host the file elsewhere on a cloud server and modify the json again.
All my other icons were a lot simpler to implement and did not involve changing the device file on each device. I just had to modify the device file already in use to either make them work for UI7 and/or modified the original icon depending on the case. I now have 0 generic icon on my UI. :)

Edit: I am now using web hosting so feel free to use it at will. No longer linking to my home nas. I updated the file.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:47:08 pm by anhman »
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline slief

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2015, 07:23:23 pm »
Maybe I can post the procedure and files specifically for the vents.
I spent some time reading the icon section on the plugin wiki and modified the json files. The vents were by far the most challenging since.

Here is how to modify yours. As of right now I am hosting all the icons on my home NAS. I have no cloud service anywhere so...
The alternative is to put them on your vera but then they will be visible only locally as I have not yet found a folder that I can access and which can be accessed by the getvera server remotely to store the icons.
Download the attached json file to your computer.
Go to the apps/develop apps/luup file in the vera UI7 UI.
Upload the downloaded file and let the luup reload. (keep the box checked)
Next go to your vent device and under advanced, go to the device file and replace the dimming light device_file file with D_WindowCovering1.xml,
replace the device_json with D_WindowCovering1.json.

It should display the icons I have.
Yes, I am using the window covering device logic for the vents because it is better suited. The device itself was apparently never updated for UI6/7 use as it is clearly written for UI5. It still works, the logo just didn't. It works very well. It is a good stop gap until vera decides to add support for the vents.

I may eventually host the file elsewhere on a cloud server and modify the json again.
All my other icons were a lot simpler to implement and did not involve changing the device file on each device. I just had to modify the device file already in use to either make them work for UI7 and/or modified the original icon depending on the case. I now have 0 generic icon on my UI. :)

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I will let you know how it works should I decide to take on this endeavor. Truth is that I very rarely ever use the  native web interface to access my devices. Most of my use of Vera is handled though apps like Homewave and my vents are controlled through the same scense that turn on my AC. As such, the need for different icons is kind of moot for me.The again, I do like challenges and learning more about Vera is intriguing. As such, this might just be a fun learning experience.

Anyhow, thanks again for the info and help! I might just have to give this a try.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2015, 07:48:40 pm »
I am with you! I use homewave too but it indeed made me learn how to code a bit and how the vera works. Plus it looks good when I pull up the UI to show it off and since I am still tinkering a bit, it does happen quite often. At some point hopefully, I won't need to anymore.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline tomgru

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2015, 02:11:48 pm »
I finally got around to installing the last one of these I had today... it seemed to pair right away with Vera (U15), but then failed at association... and there is a red light on the vent controller that won't go off.  Can't seem to get it to do anything , including manual control.

Any ideas?  Removing batteries did nothing.

EDIT: nevermind. exclude/re-include fixed it.  now I just can't get it to configure when I place in it's permanent location. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:21:41 pm by tomgru »

Offline tomgru

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2015, 08:43:22 pm »
QUESTION:  out of all my battery powered devices, these seem to really go down the fastest.  I have PIRs and locks that are still near 100%, but some of these, installed much later, are well under 50% inside of 4 months. 

what are you all seeing?

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2015, 12:11:02 am »
It really depends on how frequently you use them. I am using rechargeable eneloops and have just started having to recharge 2 out of 10 and this is after about 6 months. It isn't bad knowing I move them at least 4 times a day as I change house mode.

Offline tomgru

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 01:01:41 am »
just coming back after several months.  Sadly, I never did much with these, wanting them more for the hotter summer months.  Now that we've had some hotter weather here... I started mucking with these again.  I see between 15-20% reported battery power in the device on UI5, but at that level, they don't seem to work.  Fresh batteries seemed to solve that problem, so I guess around 5-6 months seems about right for AAA batteries.

the more disappointing thing is that the "dimming" levels just seems whacky.  First, it seems like the device will close all the way (most times) before it sets to the dim level I set.  On some... no matter what dim level, the vent always seems to set at the same point. 

I haven't gotten around to a bypass damper yet... so my hope was to set these down when needed to like 30%... but i'm also finding that it doesn't seem to really step down the airflow all that much if "dimmed". best seems to be either all the way off, or at least 95% off (again... I should look into the damper for this). 

Anyway... mostly sharing recent thoughts.  Curious what others are seeing after 6 months?