Author Topic: Spa on off control.  (Read 1569 times)

Offline lastmacuser

Spa on off control.
« on: June 08, 2015, 11:50:35 am »
I want a simple timer to turn spa on and off based on time. I have PGE EVA rate and 2-9 weekdays and 3-7 weekends are expensive. My spa is rated at 40 amps.

I initially thought of a intermatic CA3750 but it is not rated 40 amp. Anyone have a Z wave or non Z wave solution?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:05:47 pm by lastmacuser »

Offline DeltaNu1142

Re: Spa on off control.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 02:06:39 pm »
I want a simple timer to turn spa on and off based on time. I have PGE EVA rate and 2-9 weekdays and 3-7 weekends are expensive. My spa is rated at 40 amps.
I initially thought of a intermatic CA3750 but it is not rated 40 amp. Anyone have a Z wave or non Z wave solution?
I bought a 40-amp motor contactor, normally-closed, to use for a water heater. It has a 120V coil, and I was going to use it with a universal module. I ended up moving before I got around to installing it. I may still have the hardware in an enclosure... anyway, that's my suggested approach. Simple, cheap, reliable, and automated. You may want a normally-open contactor, though. For a water heater, I wanted voltage to be on if there were a failure. You may want the opposite for a spa.
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline lastmacuser

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:44:28 pm »
That sounds like a good plan. I have spa fed by main panel in garage to single GFCI subpanel breaker at spa. Can I place contactor between those breakers to keep it in garage or is that an electrical no-no.

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 03:41:23 pm »
I don't know electrical codes... but it stands to reason that you would want the contactor downstream of all of the breakers.

The good news is, from that point, you could do an infinitely-configurable timer, remote on/off, etc.; all that comes with Z-wave control rather than just using a timer.
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG