We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Has anyone worked with Enerwave ZW20RM receptecle?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline yan@tenantmatters.com

Has anyone worked with Enerwave ZW20RM receptecle?
« on: June 09, 2015, 06:35:52 pm »
I bought these on amazon and got the zwave to bind and work, the problem is in the energy monitoring that the receotecle can do but Vera doesn't see it.

Hope someone got this to work

Offline SteveM

Re: Has anyone worked with Enerwave ZW20RM receptecle?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 09:28:29 am »
I just got one and can't get it to include on a Vera Lite. The LED on the outlet never flashes to allow inclusion. How did you get this to work?

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 12:59:12 pm »
I've installed numerous 15amp versions on a Vera3 and they work perfectly.

I actually looked and I have a 20amp waiting to be installed (going to use for my clothes washer). The only issue I have with these (if you call it an issue) is during a power outage. They default to off when power is restored, so In my case I had to write some simple Lua code to re-engage the plug (checks the binary state) as they're used for a refrigerator and a dishwasher.
openLuup, AltUI, Zway and HomeWave, enough said...

Offline ilikelife

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 11:16:45 pm »
I have the 20a (ZW20RM) working great with a Vera 3 and latest UI7 (and AltUI).  I've only used it in testing so far, but it reports usage, and I've used current sensing to trigger a scene. 

I didn't have any trouble getting it to include.  I'll go back and check the instructions, but I don't remember having to do anything special.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it seems to update instantly to Vera.  When I manually turn on a lamp plugged in to this outlet, it immediately reports the change in current to Vera, and runs my scene.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 03:02:05 pm »
Thanks for the replies but I still can't get it to work and Enerwave support was worthless. So,

1. Is there a difference as to what the Vera 3 and Vera Lite will support? Does anyone have this working with a Lite?
2. Forgive me for getting back to nitty gritty, but is this how y'all installed yours...?
- Install outlet, LED is solid blue
- Put Vera in Add/Include mode
   -- LED now flashes
   -- Press button on outlet
- Outlet installed /included
?

No matter what I do I can't get the LED to flash - cycle power to switch , just comes up solid. Put VeraLite in add/include mode and timer goes but LED never flashes. Tried multiple times. both with Vera powered by AC and connected to net from around 35 feet and also in battery mode with Vera a foot away.

No matter what I do the LED on outlet won't flash so I can press the button to program. Support aid do a factory reset but I don't see how I can do that if Vera doesn't even see the switch, there is no way to reset switch itself?

Any other ideas before I give up? Thanks...

Offline agoodman82

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 03:42:05 pm »
Hi guys,

I was looking at the Enerwave ZW20RM as a solution to enable me to utilize Z-Wave to control an older model GE in-wall AC unit that pulls 20amp. My issue though is that the prongs from my AC's plug are oriented differently than most other 20amp outlets I've seen, including the Enerwave ZW20RM. The configuration of the Enerwave setup would be backwards to what I would need for this plug (see attached picture of an old X10 20 amp outlet that would be the correct configuration I need.) The plug end from the AC has a big "test" and "reset" button on it and it looks like the whole piece comes apart to access the wiring inside. Is there some kind of adapter I can purchase to have the prongs oriented in the correct fashion to use the Enerwave ZW20RM or could I remove the plug end of the AC and re-wire it into a different 20 amp plug with the correct prong configuration? Anyone have any other ideas?? Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:06:17 pm by agoodman82 »

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 04:52:20 pm »
StevenM, have you tried excluding the device first?  If the LED is not flashing it probably thinks it is already joined to a z-wave network (this frequently happens if it was tested at the factory or a return).  Put the Vera into unpair/exclude mode (by going through the delete device wizard) then click the include button on the enerwave.  That will reset it and prep it to be included in your network.

the LED should now be flashing blue, and you can do the Include process.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 10:10:11 am »
@agoodman82 - Double check your air conditioner. That plug looks like a NEMA 6-20P that would be used for 220Volt.

Edit: The pictured X-10 device is a 220volt NEMA 6-20R. I'm not aware of any Z-Wave equivalents.

The only North American 220Volt Z-Wave devices, that I'm aware of, that can handle an air conditioner are going to be the Aeon Labs ZW078 Z-Wave Heavy Duty Smart Energy Appliance Switch or the older and larger Intermatic CA3750 Heavy Duty Contactor. Both of these would need to be wired inline with your current receptacle for this application.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:23:45 am by Z-Waver »

Offline agoodman82

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 01:59:42 pm »
Thanks Z-Waver. After double checking you are most definitely correct. The AC is 220 Volt NEMA 6-20P... that's the exact prong configuration I have, so like you said it looks like the Enerwave option is out. I actually purchased the Aeon Labs Heavy Duty Appliance Switch about a month back... still sitting in the box... I have to get around to setting that up! Thanks for reassuring me that I made the right purchase to set up my AC on my network.