Author Topic: Still on UI5 should I upgrade  (Read 7432 times)

Offline GR

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Still on UI5 should I upgrade
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 11:11:17 am »
I decided to jump on the UI7 train a few days ago. One of my regular floor heating thermostats started failing, so I had to get a new one, and discovering the MultiReg with z-wave support required UI7 I jumped on it. There's been other reasons before, but I've been sitting on the fence. No doubt the GUI is fresher, and the new Vera phone app as well, the old one for UI5 hasn't even been upgraded for iPhone 6 display size. I am suspecting the Lite has become slower, and also there are some annoying "features" in the setup of each device in UI7 as well. Seems there are some issues on both versions. There is always a reason for not upgrading, but at some time it is quite likely that you WILL have to do it anyway, forced by missing updates, security issues etc...
Vera Lite UI7, 4x Fibaro FGD211, 4x Fibaro FGB-002, 5x Fibaro FGS211, 2x Vision ZM1601, 1x Remotec ZRC-100, 1x TKB TZ68, 3x Aeon Labs DSB05, 2x Remotec ZXT-120, 5x Vision ZD2102, 5x Fibaro FGSD-002, 1x Multireg floor thermostat, 1x Z-wave.me KFOB2, 1x NorthQ NQ-9021, 1x Vision ZG8101, iPad in wall.

Offline Armedmetallica

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 04:42:47 pm »
i just pre-ordered a SmartThings 2 hub. If/when that ships, i'm going to try UI7.0. worst case i have the ST hub to go to if the veralite borks.

I been on UI7 since December and there has been issues, but I can't remember what ui5 was like anymore.

I been watching the smart things myself, but looks like if I change half my devices wont work and I won't have my choice or customizable apps anymore. GE alarm panels (maybe any alarm panels) don't seem to be supported. Romba seems semi supported and I haven't even begain to look into how my home/away (geofencing and ping sensors) and all my logic will workout over there. Is it just me or does it look like alot less options and supported non z-wave devices?

Also looks like the new gen 5 sensors (multisensor 6) and garage door controls have the same not working fully support on that side of the fence too.

Feels like everyone says it better but the more I look the grass is the same color on both sides, but the yard is much smaller to play in on that side.  Maybe everyone thats happy only has z-wave or zigbee and no USB or serial devices? Maybe not much logic more remote control devices?

stay here... grass is NOT greener... i'm sort of having buyer's remorse. my ST arrived, and so far, not loving it. not sure exactly what it is that i don't like.

1. perhaps even though v2 has "local" processing, you don't have a ui for the hub to go to via url. (ther'es a 3rd party app).
2. maybe that when i change a device's icon in the app, it doesn't stick. so everything looks like an outlet, even the ones that i changed several times.
3. the logitech integration doesn't work (doesn't show my activities).
4. to get a presence sensor on my wife's phone, i had to create an account. gave her access, had her log in, but it's asking for a hub setup code (it was supposed to grant her access to my "things/places".)
5. the motion sensor that was included in the kit is literally motion only, no PIR, so it often looks like there's no one in the room.
6. the included open/close sensor doesn't seem to accept an external reed switch. so you resort to things like this (not the same sensor, but similar issue):
    a. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o49xC-AXY9w
    b. http://www.incontrolzwave.com/image.axd?picture=2012%2f1%2ffinished_sensor_mount.jpg

So far on day 2 and NOT impressed. MCV may not be as responsive, but at least the folks like you are out there helping out. 

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 04:52:04 pm »
stay here... grass is NOT greener... i'm sort of having buyer's remorse. my ST arrived, and so far, not loving it. not sure exactly what it is that i don't like.

1. perhaps even though v2 has "local" processing, you don't have a ui for the hub to go to via url. (ther'es a 3rd party app).
2. maybe that when i change a device's icon in the app, it doesn't stick. so everything looks like an outlet, even the ones that i changed several times.
4. to get a presence sensor on my wife's phone, i had to create an account. gave her access, had her log in, but it's asking for a hub setup code (it was supposed to grant her access to my "things/places".)
5. the motion sensor that was included in the kit is literally motion only, no PIR, so it often looks like there's no one in the room.
6. the included open/close sensor doesn't seem to accept an external reed switch. so you resort to things like this (not the same sensor, but similar issue):
    b. http://www.incontrolzwave.com/image.axd?picture=2012%2f1%2ffinished_sensor_mount.jpg

So far on day 2 and NOT impressed. MCV may not be as responsive, but at least the folks like you are out there helping out.

So do you have V2 ST or the old one?

I'm more concerned with the alarm panel and other none z-wave device integration or lack of. Also I use PLEG now for the brain of automation or the logic. How is theirs? 

Offline Armedmetallica

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 05:01:03 pm »

So do you have V2 ST or the old one?

I'm more concerned with the alarm panel and other none z-wave device integration or lack of. Also I use PLEG now for the brain of automation or the logic. How is theirs?

i got the newly released V2. first of all the pairing i thought I had to bring it to the device like vera. That took a while to figure out that it still needs the network.

I also miss the scene builder and delays pieces. I haven't looked at their equivalent of PLEG, but I will say the groovy or whatever language seems pretty easy. Heck, if they get points for anything it's that the IDE for developing your own apps is nice. you can code it up and self publish to your own devices pretty easily. that's where i like it better. i'm not gone yet. i may just hock it if i get tired of it later.

i'm still learning. but i feel MCV had far less of a learning curve. then again, i think some of the things i want to accomplish are more advanced. for example, I was using vera alerts to route email through my own internal smtp relay, so that i don't have to expose vera to the internet for notifications.

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 06:36:31 pm »
i just pre-ordered a SmartThings 2 hub. If/when that ships, i'm going to try UI7.0. worst case i have the ST hub to go to if the veralite borks.

Feels like everyone says it better but the more I look the grass is the same color on both sides, but the yard is much smaller to play in on that side.  Maybe everyone thats happy only has z-wave or zigbee and no USB or serial devices? Maybe not much logic more remote control devices?

Actually, I'm running all Z-Wave all automation and no remote's with UI5 flawless.
Perhaps the problem has been to many different devices trying to do everything for everybody?
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 07:17:26 pm »

Actually, I'm running all Z-Wave all automation and no remote's with UI5 flawless.
Perhaps the problem has been to many different devices trying to do everything for everybody?

You quoted me on there but I was talking about Smart things and you are running ui5 which is VERA.

You also fall into the category that I was talking about. You have a very small basic system that would work good on either vera or smart things. My opinion was that people like myself that have complex systems could not use a controller like smart things due to the lack of support and plugins for usb and non z-wave devices (alarm panels, roombas, Sprinklers and others). Also complex logic like we use with PLEG would be much hard if not impossible on other controllers.

Offline johnes

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 03:51:28 pm »

You quoted me on there but I was talking about Smart things and you are running ui5 which is VERA.

You also fall into the category that I was talking about. You have a very small basic system that would work good on either vera or smart things. My opinion was that people like myself that have complex systems could not use a controller like smart things due to the lack of support and plugins for usb and non z-wave devices (alarm panels, roombas, Sprinklers and others). Also complex logic like we use with PLEG would be much hard if not impossible on other controllers.

Yep, PLEG and the external devices mean I'm not moving from vera any time soon.

Offline GGardner

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 09:29:03 pm »
I love UI7, as I had problems understanding how to get into UI5 in the beginning so I didn't hesitate to move up to ui6 and then UI7 which seemed more intuitive for me.    I own Richard Shaffers Hal, and vera Alerts (Vera Alerts and the more intuitive/better control with ui7 are two reasons why I will not completely move over to SmartThings completely.  After a week of trying to do a task...I have an email out to ST support to find out how to send a text when just my room light is turned on..as I don't want to have to use another device like a motion detect to trigger an text. 

FYI UI7 doesn't require you to drag your vera box around or bring the device to vera to connect to it as UI5 did.  I used only a few plugins and couldn't get more complex Luup or pleg to work for me ...yet...(and vera support only hosed up my vera lite hub when I asked for help so I stopped going down that path).

Without going into ST experimental Labs or other places...my 3 Linearlinc zwave light bulbs are not compatible with ST and probably never will be because the Ge link led bulbs with or without Phillips Hue hub appears to be a lot better and cheaper.

Bottom line... after 1 week of being on ST I am going to leave my kwikset doors, my garage door, and the various motion detection on Vera so I can have greater simplicity, granularity and especially to have my alerts come through Vera Alerts so I can have the alerts verbal on my cell. 

Perhaps over time I will get into the next level of programming with vera or perhaps even Groovy with ST, but for now I am content on using it at the basic level I am. 

I must also admin that for ST I did down load SharpTools which does provide a better and simpler interface and allows widgets and anTTT interface which I hear can be quite slow. 

There is much more that I need to learn on ST (as well as vera) so I may change my tune eventually, but so far, I plan to keep both vera and ST hubs along with Phillips hue hub and Amazon Alexa.