We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Still on UI5 should I upgrade  (Read 8229 times)

Offline col8eral

Still on UI5 should I upgrade
« on: June 12, 2015, 07:11:12 am »
Hi Chaps
I am still on UI5.  At the time of buying my Verlite I was advised not to upgrade to UI6 as there were incompatibility issues with devices.  That was some time ago.  Is it now safe to upgrade or should I stay where I am. 

Offline Don Diego

Re: Still on UI5 should I upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 07:30:49 am »
Hi Chaps
I am still on UI5.  At the time of buying my Verlite I was advised not to upgrade to UI6 as there were incompatibility issues with devices.  That was some time ago.  Is it now safe to upgrade or should I stay where I am.
Hi col8eral

Reviewing the various posts on the forum regarding UI7 it sounds like UI5 is still the place to be..

Don
Vera 3 (@1.5.622) (3); Vera Plus (2);
Trane/Schlage TStats (1); Schlage Deadbolt (2); Kwikset Lock (3);  GE 45602 Dimmer (14); GE 45603 Dimmer (17); HSM-100 (16); Everspring Siren (8), Everspring Temp/Humidity (4); HSM 200 (1)

Offline aptalca

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:30:43 am »
I'm on ui5 on veralite. Everything works well. No reason to update to ui7.

I did try ui7 when I first got it, on the outside it looks a little nicer, but too many bugs under the hood.

Once it is set up properly, I rarely use the web interface anymore so the fact that ui5 does not look as nice is a non-issue

Offline aptalca

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 08:32:59 am »
Ooh and one thing I almost forgot is that if you're on ui5, that means no auto updates. Which is great because once it is set up, you know that vera can't auto update and break things (very common for ui7 as the company doesn't seem to test their updates properly before release)

Offline hmb

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 09:15:07 am »
Ooh and one thing I almost forgot is that if you're on ui5, that means no auto updates. Which is great because once it is set up, you know that vera can't auto update and break things (very common for ui7 as the company doesn't seem to test their updates properly before release)

UI7 does not auto-update. It tells you if a new UI version is available, but it always requires user intervention to install it.

Offline col8eral

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 10:56:30 am »
Sounds like I#m OK to stay where I am at the moment :) 

Thanks for all your replies.

Offline aptalca

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 11:52:38 pm »

UI7 does not auto-update. It tells you if a new UI version is available, but it always requires user intervention to install it.
Maybe it just auto updates from ui5 to ui7 then. Because when I first got the device, every time I downgraded to ui5, it would update to ui7 right away and it was annoying. I had to contact micasaverde and ask them to turn off auto updates for my account.

I guess I assumed with ui7 it would auto update to the latest version as well.

Offline hmb

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 10:00:19 am »
Maybe it just auto updates from ui5 to ui7 then. Because when I first got the device, every time I downgraded to ui5, it would update to ui7 right away and it was annoying. I had to contact micasaverde and ask them to turn off auto updates for my account.

Correct - this auto-update to UI7 was a UI5 "feature". If you didn't want this to happen, you had to ask tech support to disable it within UI5. UI7, on the other hand, requires user confirmation prior to installation of a UI7 update.

Offline helraiser

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 05:45:32 pm »
Still at UI5 myself, running 672. Eventually there'll be some devices which don't work with UI5 and I'll be forced to upgrade but hopefully the newer UI will be more bug free. Okay, only fewer bugs! ;)

Offline svaleb

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 02:43:20 am »
I take the same position as helraiser.
Ui5 672...and waiting.
There may even be better hardware from vera.....some day.
Regards
         CE

Offline col8eral

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 05:15:26 am »
How do I upgrade to the latest version of UI5.

In setup>firmware it shows this as my current installed version:

You are running the latest version: 1.5.622

Is that UI5?  How do I interpret the version number?

Many thanks

Offline Armedmetallica

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 06:26:46 am »
how flawless is the downgrade? I'm thinking of going to UI7 specificially for the Lowes GD0Z garage door module. not sure if i should just keep my ghetto rig of relay and add a door sensor and call it a day or buy the "right" equipment and just upgrade to ui7

Offline gordomatic

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 03:22:32 pm »
how flawless is the downgrade? I'm thinking of going to UI7 specificially for the Lowes GD0Z garage door module. not sure if i should just keep my ghetto rig of relay and add a door sensor and call it a day or buy the "right" equipment and just upgrade to ui7

I'm in the same boat as you, Armedmetallica. Garage door opener integration is why I started on this journey in the first place.

After an early UI7 release jacked-up my VeraLite, I flashed with UI5 and it has been reasonably stable since. Instead of using MIMOlite, etc for GDO operation, I'd rather add the GD0Z or similar in my HA system.

Just wondering if anyone has installed 07/31/2015 release UI 7.0.10 and if so, would share their experience in this regard, please?

Regards,
-Gordon

Offline Armedmetallica

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 08:37:47 am »

I'm in the same boat as you, Armedmetallica. Garage door opener integration is why I started on this journey in the first place.

After an early UI7 release jacked-up my VeraLite, I flashed with UI5 and it has been reasonably stable since. Instead of using MIMOlite, etc for GDO operation, I'd rather add the GD0Z or similar in my HA system.

Just wondering if anyone has installed 07/31/2015 release UI 7.0.10 and if so, would share their experience in this regard, please?

Regards,
-Gordon

i just pre-ordered a SmartThings 2 hub. If/when that ships, i'm going to try UI7.0. worst case i have the ST hub to go to if the veralite borks.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 03:47:35 am »
i just pre-ordered a SmartThings 2 hub. If/when that ships, i'm going to try UI7.0. worst case i have the ST hub to go to if the veralite borks.

I been on UI7 since December and there has been issues, but I can't remember what ui5 was like anymore.

I been watching the smart things myself, but looks like if I change half my devices wont work and I won't have my choice or customizable apps anymore. GE alarm panels (maybe any alarm panels) don't seem to be supported. Romba seems semi supported and I haven't even begain to look into how my home/away (geofencing and ping sensors) and all my logic will workout over there. Is it just me or does it look like alot less options and supported non z-wave devices?

Also looks like the new gen 5 sensors (multisensor 6) and garage door controls have the same not working fully support on that side of the fence too.

Feels like everyone says it better but the more I look the grass is the same color on both sides, but the yard is much smaller to play in on that side.  Maybe everyone thats happy only has z-wave or zigbee and no USB or serial devices? Maybe not much logic more remote control devices?