General > Lighting & Load Control

New problem - intermittent lights flicker on the lsm-15 Evolve switch

(1/5) > >>

WhiteBeard:
Hi All,

I've had the lsm-15 switch controlling my porch lights for about 3 years with no problems.  Just light week I noticed that when turning on the lights, they will lose power for a second or so and then will continue to do so at intermittently.  More strangely, turning the switch (ON) will sometimes also momentarily trigger the horn on my parked car.  Just curious if anyone here has experienced similar problems or if this means it's time to replace the switch?

WB

Z-Waver:

--- Quote from: WhiteBeard on June 20, 2015, 11:30:02 pm ---More strangely, turning the switch (ON) will sometimes also momentarily trigger the horn on my parked car.
--- End quote ---
That is hilarious! I have no idea how your switch is affecting your car horn.

If rebooting the switch, by flipping the breaker, doesn't make it work correctly, then I would replace the switch. It sounds like the switch contacts are bad, likely carbon-ed up.

TC1:

--- Quote from: WhiteBeard on June 20, 2015, 11:30:02 pm ---Hi All,

I've had the lsm-15 switch controlling my porch lights for about 3 years with no problems.  Just light week I noticed that when turning on the lights, they will lose power for a second or so and then will continue to do so at intermittently.  More strangely, turning the switch (ON) will sometimes also momentarily trigger the horn on my parked car.  Just curious if anyone here has experienced similar problems or if this means it's time to replace the switch?

WB

--- End quote ---

You have a remote lock on your car, don't you? The switch is going bad, very bad. Some part of the control circuity/radio transmitter is momentarily hitting a frequency or harmonic that coincides with what's used on your car remote. Which is weird because car remotes generally operate in the 300 to 400 Mhz range, but Z-wave is generally around 900 Mhz. Like I said, the switch is going bad.

If resetting it like Z-Waver suggested doesn't help, replace it pronto.

xeinth:
Same exact issues.  Has happened with 4 of these devices.  Replacing with evolve dimmers has no issue...  They last about one year then this failure mode.  And they do then trash other devices as a result.

Z-Waver:

--- Quote from: bkurtz on October 01, 2015, 11:55:15 pm ---Same exact issues.
--- End quote ---
The switch flickers and your car's horn blows?

--- Quote ---Has happened with 4 of these devices.  Replacing with evolve dimmers has no issue...  They last about one year then this failure mode.  And they do then trash other devices as a result.
--- End quote ---
I'm assuming that your switches are not all from the same batch. But, if they are, then you may have a bad batch.

I'm curious about how much load you are switching and how frequently they get switched. Do you think that this may be a factor, or do you think it's just bad switches?

If you would prefer to use an On/Off switch, rather than a dimmer as a replacement, then you might wish to try the GE12722 On/Off Switch. It is very similar in appearance to the LSM-15, though the LED indicator is different. It shares the same features including lacking Instant Status.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version