Author Topic: UI3 Scene Commands DO NOT get saved correctly!!!  (Read 8126 times)

Offline B0SST0N

• Beta Testers
UI3 Scene Commands DO NOT get saved correctly!!!
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:39:44 pm »
Using UI3 1.1.228

I have a scene labeled "Goodnight", it is a scene which (quite obviously) gets the house ready to call it a night... basically it shuts off the lights around the house and dims the lights on the outside of the house.

Well, I have an "Appliance Module" relay in the garage which trips the garage door to open (or close)... it is supposed to be set to "unchanged" and unchecked during that scene.

I checked the scene tonight, it was CHECKED and set to ON!!! So basically, everytime I ran the "Goodnight" scene I would be opening my garage door and leaving my house OPEN to intruders ALL NIGHT LONG!

The best part of this is... I can UNCHECK the module AND set it to UNCHANGED... then of course I hit the red SAVE button... and when vera reloads IT IS STILL CHECKED AND SET TO "ON"! I can do this as many times as I like and vera WILL NOT save the changes!

This is absolutely an inexcusable defect and a serious breach of security depending on what vera is saving for scene commands... this needs to be fixed ASAP.

I am sorry if this reads negatively... but I am appalled that scene commands would ever get saved incorrectly... this is obviously a "worst case scenario" that is happening to me... but security is something that should not be taken lightly... and incorrectly opening a door during the night as part of a scene is a serious breach.

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
Re: UI3 Scene Commands DO NOT get saved correctly!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:56:42 am »
Are you using a virtual device to control your garage door when you open/close through vera?  Or do you just set up scenes to turn on the appliance module and then turn it off 5 seconds later.
I guess what I'm asking - in the scene commands screen, are you keeping a virtual device unchanged or a real z-wave device?  The reason I ask is because I've always had problems combining virtual devices and real devices into one scene.  And, although my code seems to be completely correct on the virtual device, every once in a while, the good night scene will open the garage door, rather than keeping it closed.
Vera1 (1.1142), Vera2 (1.1182), VRI06 (12), VRS15 (3), VRS05 (2), VRF01 (2), VRCS4 (2), ZRW113, ZRF113 (2), 45602, 45603, TZMT400 (2), FE599 (2), 99100, Thinkstick, Harmony 890Pro (2), Harmony RF Extender, Nevo S70, Nevo NC-50, Minimote, SQ Remote, SQ Blaster, EtherRain-8, Cliste ActiveRFID, TED5002

Offline ASIHome

• ASIHome - Products and Solutions for the Intelligent Home
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:21:57 pm »
Are you using a Leviton Appliance module? In scenes, they go to the current level when you edit a scene.

On a side note, you can't really blame MCV for this being security concern when you are doing something that is against UL to begin with. Under UL you cannot control the garage door by any means where you physically cannot see the door opening or closing. That is why garage door opener ranges have gotten shorter.

Offline B0SST0N

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:58:15 pm »
On a side note, you can't really blame MCV for this being security concern when you are doing something that is against UL to begin with. Under UL you cannot control the garage door by any means where you physically cannot see the door opening or closing. That is why garage door opener ranges have gotten shorter.

Not true, the security concerns I have do not have anything specifically to do with opening a garage door sight unseen. The concern I have is vera activating devices it is not supposed to during a scene. That could be ANY device... a schlage lock? a heater on a appliance module? Any device could cause a potential problem.

And... I am not blaming MCV... I am merely bringing an issue to light that needs to be fixed. Bugs happen... and some are worse than others. I view this one as pretty serious, thats all.

Offline B0SST0N

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:01:46 pm »
Are you using a virtual device to control your garage door when you open/close through vera?  Or do you just set up scenes to turn on the appliance module and then turn it off 5 seconds later.
I guess what I'm asking - in the scene commands screen, are you keeping a virtual device unchanged or a real z-wave device?  The reason I ask is because I've always had problems combining virtual devices and real devices into one scene.  And, although my code seems to be completely correct on the virtual device, every once in a while, the good night scene will open the garage door, rather than keeping it closed.

It is an intermatic zwave relay, so yes, I have a scene to power it on for 5 seconds and then shut it off to trigger the contact closure on the garage door. But, this particular device is not to be touched during any other scene to prevent accidental opening/closing... somehow it keeps being checked and set to "on" with my goodnight scene no matter how many times I change it to "unchanged" and save.

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 01:03:45 pm »

Not true, the security concerns I have do not have anything specifically to do with opening a garage door sight unseen. The concern I have is vera activating devices it is not supposed to during a scene. That could be ANY device... a schlage lock? a heater on a appliance module? Any device could cause a potential problem.

And... I am not blaming MCV... I am merely bringing an issue to light that needs to be fixed. Bugs happen... and some are worse than others. I view this one as pretty serious, thats all.

I apologize if this came off incorrectly or was incorrectly worded by me. I was not trying to pick a fight or defend/offend anyone, I just wanted to make sure the information about UL listing on garage door openers was out there. I see you answered the question of whose module it was. Hopefully this will be resolved for you.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:10:09 pm by ASIHome »

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 01:05:05 pm »

It is an intermatic zwave relay, so yes, I have a scene to power it on for 5 seconds and then shut it off to trigger the contact closure on the garage door. But, this particular device is not to be touched during any other scene to prevent accidental opening/closing... somehow it keeps being checked and set to "on" with my goodnight scene no matter how many times I change it to "unchanged" and save.

Are you using the default .json and .xml files or are they modified? Do you have any Lua code running?

Offline B0SST0N

• Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:24:09 pm »
No, I finally figured out how to reproduce the error though... if you uncheck the device it will not be included in the scene even though it says "on" in the command field... this is intended.

The catch is... if you go back and set this command field to "unchanged" and click SAVE, when vera reloads the data you go back to that device it is "CHECKED" and set to "ON".

So to get around this problem, simply uncheck the device and DO NOT change the command field, otherwise vera will save incorrect data. By the steps to reproduce this, I assume it will happen with any zwave module... so vera could potentially save a command you do not intend for it to perform on any device in any scene. Its just a bug...

But, I will admit that my initial post I was completely fed up with vera last night. I had to backup/replace/restore my original dongle which caused 3-4 hours of reconfiguring devices and restructuring all of my floorplans... and on top of that I was dabbling with some lua code for 2 hours I could not get to work (the lua code would actually freeze up my vera when running it)... thats either here nor there and I was just overwhelmed with vera issues... all while staring at a "WAP UI: Please upgrade your software" error message in the notification box (been begging for a fix for this for weeks)... so opening my garage door uncommanded was just the last straw of the night.

Offline B0SST0N

• Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 01:37:20 pm »
BTW... complete steps for MCV to follow to reproduce and fix this bug...

1. Edit an existing scene, any scene.

2. Go to "Commands" tab.

3. Pick an appliance module that is not being used in the scene and change the command field to "UNCHANGED" (the check box will automatically now check)

4. Now uncheck the check box.

5. Exit out of the "Commands" tab and close the edit scene window.

6. Click the red "SAVE" button ans wait for vera to reload the data.

7. Check your scene commands for that appliance module, it should say "ON" and "CHECKED". This, of course, is not the intended command by following the above steps.

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 08:45:45 pm »
Is this thread stating a similar or the same problem?

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3315.0

If so, i looks like they have identified the problem.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline B0SST0N

• Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 10:18:21 pm »
Hopefully, who knows, they never responded to my concerns anyway. There are so many problems with UI3... I love beta testing software... but only when the company rolling out the beta is responsive.

I have posted a few times about bugs that never got responded to or fixed... UI3 frustrates me every time I work with it... and I don't even bother posting my bugs anymore because I don't know if I am just wasting my time.

The SQConnect beta is/was flawless in it's execution, their team is extremely responsive, MCV could learn a thing or two from them.

Sorry MCV... I am a big supporter... I am just extremely frustrated with some of your release methods and UI3 bugs are driving me insane... I'm tired of icons on the floorplan moving around on their own and countless other bugs that seem like they were just created to drive us to the funny farm, lol. I can deal with bugs, but only if I know they are getting fixed, I don't want to keep posting to try and grab your attention for a particular bug.

See:
mcvovidiu,

Can you please comment on the following threads (WAP UI Issue), a few of us have had this problem for awhile, it was supposed to be fixed... but then we never heard anything... some people in the thread have even submitted a trouble ticket... you haven't replied in quite awhile.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3103.15

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3155.0

Thanks!

/rant ...

I would suggest releasing your betas to a private group (i.e. a beta testing team)... have a private beta testing forum... and actually RESPOND and UPDATE THE STATUS and of bugs to those beta users every couple of days. I would be glad to be part of this team if I knew things were getting fixed and my problems were being recorded/listened to.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:21:36 pm by B0SST0N »

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:39:26 am »
I think a common misconception is that MCV considers posts on this forum as means of reporting issues/bugs. They clearly have people that read the posts, but it seems like they have a policy of not taking action unless someone submits a formal trouble ticket. I think that a lot of user frustration and negative feelings about MCV come out of the misunderstanding.

I would suggest to MCV to consider posts about problems people are having as you would a trouble ticket and I think a lot of the negative would be removed from the forums. If a post doesn't have enough information for you recreate an issue, send a PM or post asking for more information and provide feedback about the resolution process. We've seen you do this one some posts, so it would be nice if it was more consistent.

Offline B0SST0N

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 01:25:30 pm »
I think a common misconception is that MCV considers posts on this forum as means of reporting issues/bugs. They clearly have people that read the posts, but it seems like they have a policy of not taking action unless someone submits a formal trouble ticket. I think that a lot of user frustration and negative feelings about MCV come out of the misunderstanding.

I would suggest to MCV to consider posts about problems people are having as you would a trouble ticket and I think a lot of the negative would be removed from the forums. If a post doesn't have enough information for you recreate an issue, send a PM or post asking for more information and provide feedback about the resolution process. We've seen you do this one some posts, so it would be nice if it was more consistent.

I mostly agree with you... however I remember in the early days of having my vera I submitted a couple of trouble tickets and never got a response. This discouraged me from EVER submitting trouble tickets again, because at least other users could help me in the forums... maybe trouble tickets are taken more seriously now, but I can't say for sure because I haven't submitted any...

mcvovidiu

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 01:44:38 am »
Hi all,

@BOSSTON: I saw that reference to the posts with the "Wap UI: Upgrade your software" and I immediately discussed this with the z-wave developer so I can post a reply. But I didn't got a message yet. If you like, I can forward you the email discussion with him, just so you know we are working on every bug/request sent by our customers, including you.

Also, this problem with the scenes, not saving "unchanged" state for a device. I added a bug report, the problem has been resolved and I also responded on the other thread which is opened with this problem: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3315.0

Offline B0SST0N

• Beta Testers
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 09:17:02 am »
Thanks for the reply MCV, I appreciate your efforts to get these issues resolved. Are there any plans to revise the beta testing so we get some better communication going forward to resolve issues...

I am all for helping you guys out... but I think there needs to be a better way for testers to give feedback and receive communication from you about the status of everything. I also think that these discussions should be more private so that beta feedback is not given in a public forum... it tends to hurt the image of MCV.

There will always be bugs in beta software, that is inevitable, but some of that feedback does not need to be viewed by a regular user who just wants to use stable firmware... all it does is create more problems and hurts your image. Beta testers also require more frequent access to daily builds instead of monthly updates... you would not want a basic user to have access to these daily builds and mess up their system.

I actually run a QA department for an electronics company with a beta program and I know if we gave all of users access to beta firmware we would run into nightmares like you seem to be doing. I believe we need to develop more of a team relationship between a group of public testers and MCV employees so we can communicate better and get these issues resolved faster away from public view.