We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Troublesome GE 45631 Keypad Wall Controller  (Read 1582 times)

Offline jschaffe

• Sr. Newbie
Troublesome GE 45631 Keypad Wall Controller
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:07:37 pm »
I've been trying to add a GE 45631 Keypad Controller to my VeraEdge network (so far, all z-wave devices).  Very little luck, although it worked flawlessly before I migrated my kitchen lighting from a primary GE 45601 Advanced Remote controller to the VeraEdge.

Should I just discard this thing, and if so, are there any other battery-operated controllers I could use instead?

http://www.amazon.com/GE-45631-Z-Wave-Wireless-Controller/dp/B003OUWABU
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:13:53 pm by jschaffe »

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Troublesome GE 45631 Keypad Wall Controller
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:11:16 am »
The 45631 can work on a Vera network, but there are limitations. For instance the 45631 can only address the first 32 Z-Wave devices, node IDs greater than 32 will not be recognized. Also, many people trying to use the 45631 to trigger Vera scenes have a lot of trouble(I've never done it), but direct device control and 45631 scenes do work OK.

Your post states that you are unable to include the 45631, but it also implies that you migrated an existing network to Vera as the primary controller. Would you please clarify which is the case? Did you migrate controllers and continue with an existing network? Or, did you start a new network with Vera and are including devices into the new network?

If you are starting a new network, devices must be excluded before they can be included again. In the case of this remote, you must then copy the network from Vera to make it a secondary remote in the new network.

See the 45631 manual.

Offline robmarreel

Re: Troublesome GE 45631 Keypad Wall Controller
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:05:01 am »
One additional note since I just went through this.

The only way I could get it to work correctly is to add the 45631 as a normal device and not a secondary controller. So skip out on the secondary controller setup screen and add it as if it were a normal outlet.

When the Vera is flashing orange for inclusion mode you can put the 45631 in inclusion mode as well by holding down the add/remove buttons then hitting the down arrow for groups 1,2,3,4 in that order. If the controller is close to the vera it will add it and then you can do all of the programming straight from the 45631. Just make sure any device you're adding to the 45631 has already been added to the network by the Vera.

I have 3 of these controllers in my house now and love them!