Author Topic: Seems you can run AuthomationHD on Windows 10 !  (Read 6494 times)

Offline cw-kid

• Phaze1 Digital
Seems you can run AuthomationHD on Windows 10 !
« on: August 19, 2015, 06:36:21 pm »
I just got a new laptop with a touch screen and looking in the Windows app store Grasshopper was the only Vera app.

However I've just got AuthomationHD running on Windows 10 and its working really well!  ;D

Offline tomtcom

Re: Seems you can run AuthomationHD on Windows 10 !
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 06:54:02 pm »
I just got a new laptop with a touch screen and looking in the Windows app store Grasshopper was the only Vera app.

However I've just got AuthomationHD running on Windows 10 and its working really well!  ;D

Cool, what's your steps to do this?

Offline tomgru

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 06:54:40 pm »
HOW?  running an Android emulator?  I tried Bluestacks and found it to be awful. 

Offline cw-kid

• Phaze1 Digital
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 07:49:47 pm »
Better than Bluestacks!

Google Arc Welder a Chrome browser extension thing.

First I followed guide #1 which worked. However I then tried to add a second Android app and then I discovered it deletes the first app and all its settings. So have just had to setup AuthomationHD again for a second time.

So if you do what it says in guide #2 you can instead load multiple apps.

1. http://itechify.com/2015/07/23/run-android-apps-in-chrome-browser-using-arc-welder/

2. http://liliputing.com/2015/04/how-to-run-multiple-android-apps-through-chrome-with-arc-welder.html

The app looks like and acts like a stand alone app, you can even pin it to the Windows 10 start menu and taskbar!

Offline cw-kid

• Phaze1 Digital
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 07:54:17 pm »
The second app I tried was the YouView Android app for the BT Youview TV box, so you can view the EPG and schedule recordings but that app doesn't seem to want to connect to my YouView box and shows an error. Tried turning off the Windows firewall but still the same.

Think I might try ImperiHome for Vera later as well.

These are really the only Android apps I'd want running on my Windows laptop.

Offline cw-kid

• Phaze1 Digital
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »
oh and the AuthomationHD app also works with the mouse so you can try it, if you don't have a touch screen on your Windows PC as well !

Offline tomtcom

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 08:04:45 pm »
I tried arc welder on win7 for Imperihome. However my laptop is always connected by ethernet and Imperihome was always wanting the local wifi. Any confirmation for Authomation that I could do it with an ethernet connection?

Offline cw-kid

• Phaze1 Digital
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:07:01 pm »
I'm on an Ethernet connection now as I have a full CAT5e network through out the house. I rarely use the Wifi on my laptop. Wifi is currently turned OFF.

Offline cw-kid

• Phaze1 Digital
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:29 pm »
I just disconnected the LAN cable and connected the Wifi instead and AuthomationHD app also works OK on Wifi, so either way seems fine. Will be a shame then if Imperihome cannot be used on LAN? I will try it tomorrow.

Offline tomtcom

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:51 pm »
I'm on an Ethernet connection now as I have a full CAT5e network through out the house. I rarely use the Wifi on my laptop. Wifi is currently turned OFF.

Excellent! I'll give it a shot!

Offline cw-kid

• Phaze1 Digital
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 08:12:15 pm »
When you are setting up the app in Arc Welder be sure to select Maximized as it seems you cannot go back later and change this setting, do this so the app runs full screen mode. I had to delete the app and start again just to make it full screen.

Offline cw-kid

• Phaze1 Digital
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 08:27:52 pm »
When the apps are installed you can go to APPS in Chrome browser and if you right click it, there is an option to create shortcuts to the desktop and taskbar. I then pinned the desktop icon to the Windows 10 start menu / live tiles area etc.

See screen shots.

Offline tomgru

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 08:34:44 pm »
I also tried this with Andy, that basically sets up a virtual machine. it worked well.. but pegged my system resources on a fairly beefy all-in-one and subsequently kept my fan running nonstop so I quit using it. 

are you seeing the same with the chrome extension?

Offline cw-kid

• Phaze1 Digital
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 08:41:05 pm »
No I've not noticed any performance issues with it. The laptop is a Lenovo Flex 2 with an Intel i3 processor and 4GB of RAM.

Really happy I spent a bit more money and bought a new laptop with a touch screen now! Also some pretty good Windows touch apps for the Kodi / Emby media center system.  :)

I was on Windows 7 before hated Windows 8, 10 is loads better.

Offline tomgru

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 08:52:44 pm »
No I've not noticed any performance issues with it. The laptop is a Lenovo Flex 2 with an Intel i3 processor and 4GB of RAM.

Really happy I spent a bit more money and bought a new laptop with a touch screen now! Also some pretty good Windows touch apps for the Kodi / Emby media center system.  :)

I was on Windows 7 before hated Windows 8, 10 is loads better.

glad to hear that... since I work for Microsoft :-)

I'm an imperihome user, so will be interested to see how that works.  Not sure if i'm allowed to run Chrome!  hahaha
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:56:21 pm by tomgru »