We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Controlling multiple Veras  (Read 1513 times)

Offline reneboer

• Beta Testers
Controlling multiple Veras
« on: August 23, 2015, 12:09:52 pm »
Hi,

I have been using ALTUI on two Vera's Edge with UI7 as main, Lite with UI6 as secondary. Works fine.

However, adding a third to show on the main Edge things get slow, the third box devices do not show and the rooms no longer show correct. This third is a lite with UI5, yeah I have em all :-)

I tried the extra controllers in either order, but I cannot get it to work.

Suggestions?

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline amg0

• Master Member
Re: Controlling multiple Veras
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:03:15 am »
Hi,

I have been using ALTUI on two Vera's Edge with UI7 as main, Lite with UI6 as secondary. Works fine.

However, adding a third to show on the main Edge things get slow, the third box devices do not show and the rooms no longer show correct. This third is a lite with UI5, yeah I have em all :-)

I tried the extra controllers in either order, but I cannot get it to work.

Suggestions?

Cheers Rene

Mm you may be hitting a design limit. How big are your respective Vera configs?
I always wanted altUI to be stand alone, meaning no extra server required. And because altUI is a client side application Running in the browser, it is only allowed to make a Ajax call to the server from which the original web page come from. I.e. Your main Vera.
So to support multi controller, altUI makes the calls to your main Vera (as a proxy) which then is allowed to call the other Vera because there is no same domain origin protection when you make web calls from a server (main Vera ) to another server ( secondary Vera)
BUT, this creates some load on your main Vera and maybe 3 Vera is too much.

Suggestions in any order, I tried neither
1- wait for mCV to release a bigger Vera.
2- use akbooer's vera bridge plugin
3- use MCV Vera own way of bridging
4- use openLuup (again akbooer's great work) as the main Vera controller and then multi controller mode from altUI. Note this can be done with or without Vera bridge ( so option 2 as well )
5- find a way that Vera allow cross domain origin calls in which case altUI could call directly the secondaries Vera'. Not sure how this could be done and require a change on Vera code but that is needed is for Vera to return some headers in the http responses she sends back to allow cors calls.
6- a variant of 4 would be to use a intermediate proxy server ( php or others ) to act as a virtual Vera and dispatch web service calls to other Vera's.

Maybe some people have other ideas too...

Offline reneboer

• Beta Testers
Re: Controlling multiple Veras
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:25:39 am »
Thanks amg0,

The UI5 box is just for testing at the moment so only have about a dozen devices that are all from plugins (no Z-Wave). It is not critical so I'll figure something out.

I just did order a Phi 2 B so looks like I have some extra functions to run on that  8)

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.