Author Topic: Vera Edge mysteriously added several sensors  (Read 3572 times)

Offline jameslnewton

Vera Edge mysteriously added several sensors
« on: August 23, 2015, 12:56:18 pm »
I have a Vera Edge that I bought in July along with 1 camera, 2 plugs, and 5 light switches. I had a Schlage door lock already, and 1 foscam camera. I have everything up and running and was becoming pretty familiar with the basics.

I go on vacation and come back and found that some how on my dashboard there are several motion sensors, 1 smoke alarm, and 1 door and window sensor.

I did not add these, nor do I own any of these sensors. I try to delete them, but they wont delete. I get a message saying the command was sent, but the sensors never leave the device list. I am also starting to get emails and text messages from one kf the motion sensors.

Any help on what is going on, and gow to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MSW

Re: Vera Edge mysteriously added several sensors
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:28:31 am »
UI7 Seems to have issues with randomly adding extra controllers.  From installing a Qubino flush wall thermostat, it started adding motion sensor controllers (I now show 9!!) and from a Fibaro 2x Relay, it added a random "scene controller."  It doesn't impact actually system function but it makes the UI a mess and hiding them is just a temporary hack.  Hopefully they will fix.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:10:28 am by MSW »

Offline RichardPHarvey

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 03:14:23 pm »
That also happened to me a couple of times but unlike most people I was actually able to delete the devices after a few attempts. So you may want to try a few times to ride them from the UI, it may actually work.

Offline MSW

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 04:54:15 am »
That also happened to me a couple of times but unlike most people I was actually able to delete the devices after a few attempts. So you may want to try a few times to ride them from the UI, it may actually work.
Yeah - they just come back.  I notified Vera support which seemed surprised to learn of this issue even though as far as I can tell it's been around for a few months on the forums.

Offline sgresleri

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 08:04:56 am »
Yesterday night I had the same problem.
Three sensors have been added. Two motion sensors and one smoke sensor.
This happened while I was trying to add to the network a new Aeon minimote (but I did not succeed).
I couldn't remove them. So I restored an old backup.

Offline kevinmcferren

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 03:08:48 am »
I had the same problem after including a smart energy switch by Aeon Labs.  I had a smoke detector, (2) motion sensors, and a glass breakage sensor show up unexpectedly.  I am running on the UI7.  I went into devices, clicked on the arrow to the right of the ghost device.  Then went to the Advanced tab.  Scroll down to the id_parent field and entered 1, (it will probably have the device number of another device that was added when these ghost devices showed up) this makes the ghost device controllable by the Vera.  Then click outside of the field to save the changes.  I was then able to delete the device by again clicking the arrow to the right of the ghost device and going to the bottom of the page and selecting Delete Device and follow the prompts.  It will ask you to try excluding the device instead of deleting it but you can't since it is a ghost device.  Just go ahead and delete it.  It worked for me, I hope this helps

Offline cw-kid

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 06:28:36 am »
I had the same problem after including a smart energy switch by Aeon Labs.  I had a smoke detector, (2) motion sensors, and a glass breakage sensor show up unexpectedly.  I am running on the UI7.  I went into devices, clicked on the arrow to the right of the ghost device.  Then went to the Advanced tab.  Scroll down to the id_parent field and entered 1, (it will probably have the device number of another device that was added when these ghost devices showed up) this makes the ghost device controllable by the Vera.  Then click outside of the field to save the changes.  I was then able to delete the device by again clicking the arrow to the right of the ghost device and going to the bottom of the page and selecting Delete Device and follow the prompts.  It will ask you to try excluding the device instead of deleting it but you can't since it is a ghost device.  Just go ahead and delete it.  It worked for me, I hope this helps

Thanks this really works and allows you to delete the "ghost" devices.

I had a Smoke Sensor and 2x Motion sensors just appear in my UI for seemingly no reason.

Their id_parent field had number 75 in it. Device #75 is a Fibaro Roller Shutter module.

Hope they don't come back anyway's.

For the record I am on a Vera Edge UI7 version 1.7.1598 which as of writing is the latest firmware.

Offline nortish

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 04:07:18 am »
This way doesnt seem to work for me. As soon as I delete one ghost device, its just creates a new one with the next number in line. I probably have 20, at least, ghost devices. And the Vera is acting slow and annoying more often then I am willing to accept.

Offline Jens

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 07:32:51 am »
Have the same problem, :(

Sent from my iPhone 6  using Tapatalk

Offline mcalistair

• "Luctor et Emergo"
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 07:55:00 am »
Just thinking out of the box...
As a workaround I created a room 999_Invisible.
Map all devices that I dont want to it, and hide the room in VeraMate.

PS I do agree it should be fixed by Vera.  ;D
1x Vera3@UI5 = PROD (1x Edge@UI7 = SandBox ), 15x ZWAVE Devices, 8x 'legacy' X10 devices controlled via Visonic PowerMax Alarm Panel Plugin, 5x Philips HUE devices, 1x iTach IP2CC, 1x Netatmo Weather Station, AltUI

Offline paulstephenson003

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 12:43:16 pm »
January 3rd, 2017
I have a Vera Plus with the same issue reported here. Extra motion sensors created with a id_parent of 71.

I'm not sure what firmware they were created in, but I updated the firmware to the latest - 1.7.2414 - and I was able to delete the sensors.
I'll update the reply if they come back.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 05:16:13 am »
Hi there,

This was an issue present in one of the older firmware. As paulstephenson003 mentioned, the latest official firmware, will not only stop these devices being created, but it will also let you delete them right from the UI.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 07:31:27 am »
Suddenly I see that most probably in the last week (I look into Vera often) I have 3 extra motion sensors as childs fro my EZMotion+ device. Can't delete them.

Seems this problem has not been addressed correctly in the last firmware update then?
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 09:16:07 am »
Sender best way to clear it up is restore a back up before they appeared.  (You should not need to restore the z-wave mesh).  Haven't seen many complaints of this in a while so maybe it is "mostly fixed" 😁

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 10:58:58 am »
Thanks for the tip. But practically not possible since I dont know exactly when they appeared. And I did a lot of changes last week......
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)