We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: aeon labs energy monitor  (Read 186565 times)

Offline harald

Re: aeon labs energy monitor
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2011, 05:40:59 pm »
Finally got it running the way I wanted.. It seems that the parameter settings for 101 has changed somewhat from the version Chris has. My Vera reports version :3,2,78,3,60

I have a three-phase 4-wire power network, so I connected the three clamps to L1, L2 and L3 respectively, skipped the Neutral.. please comment on this since I'm not an electro engineer.. :)

Parameter 101 for my device is as follows: 4 bytes dec.
bit 0 = Battery status
bit 1 = MRC (Meter Report Command) 0= don't send report, 1=send automatic report on group 1.
bit 2 = MSRC (Multilevel Sensor Report Command) same as above
the bits from msb and down to bit 3 is reserved.

Since I'm running on USB power, setting bit 1 resulted in an "failure to set user configuration". By setting the value to 6 reports started to fly in!. I also changed parameter 111 to 5 (sending report every 5 seconds)..

So now the HEM module reports correct values, however the clamps is somewhat stuck when vera receives the first report. They don't update as expected. Has anyone got them reporting correctly?

guest13549

« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2011, 04:47:29 pm »
Harald,

May I ask how you got to know the bits of parameter 101? I have almost the same version 2,2,78,59 in my HEM-3.

I have an issue with the white clamps, they are *huge*. In no way will they fit in my electrical box. (Living in 3-phase 230V land)..  So now it is just laying on the table beside me.  >:(
Maybe I can put it outside in the heat pump, but then it is only spec'd for minus 10 or something the like... Hmm.

Micael

Offline harald

« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2011, 06:27:01 am »
Sure, I found a tech-spec for developers here : http://www.smarthus.info/support/manuals/zw_spmoduler/aeon_hem_tech.pdf. So I configured the HEM in Vera accordingly. And since it worked I obviously have sw-version 1.0 or 1.1 of the HEM or at least a compatible version. The documentation on this product is not available from Aeon. I sent them an e-mail asking for it, but I received no response at all..

The clamps are indeed HUGE :o . I managed to pull some cables a bit to get the clamps around the cables, but it was no walk in the park.

My power-meter is Landis+Gyr E230 so I plugged in on L1, L2 and L3, I reviewed this with an electrician-buddy of mine and he said that my power meter was configured to supply on L1, L2 and L3, so it was the optimal way of connecting it. But there's another way to configure it so you might have to use the clamps on L1, L2 and N in order to get correct wattage.

F.Y.I the clamps in vera doesn't update but the main module reports correct :) See the attached image. (one sample every 5 seconds)

guest13549

« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2011, 04:15:45 pm »
Thanks!  I knew I was missing something...  8)

I don't know if I should use the three phases or the neutral.. Is there a way of knowing? Does it depend of whether the incoming electricity supply includes a neutral or not? ???
I can ask on a Swedish electricity forum I guess.

Offline harald

« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2011, 05:47:03 am »
Well, one way of figuring it out might be to put the clamps on L1, L2, L3 and run around your house and test the outlets with a 500w lamp and se if that creates a spike in the HEM.. And of course you have to start all the permanent installations such as the floor-heating if present, boiler, ceiling lamps etc...

guest13549

« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2011, 04:04:28 pm »
I have now got an answer on the Swedish forum, and according to that person, all installations in Sweden has the kind where the probes shall go on the phases.
 :)

Now I just need to do the actual work.... :D

guest13549

« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2011, 11:08:11 am »
OK, so finally I have installed my unit on the heat pump.

But is there a way of hiding the three clamps in the user interface? Or at least invisible to the power graph?

It seams that the clamps sporadically sends a garbage power value, which stays on until I put the clamp into the trashcan. (Then it arrives back, but clean of value).

This garbage value makes the power graph report go bad.

Offline Hayward57

« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2011, 01:51:38 am »
The Aeon Labs Smart Energy Monitor is a low-cost energy monitor for the entire home. It can wirelessly report immediate wattage and kWh usage to central control point gateways such as the 4HomeMedia CP and can be easily and safely installed by anyone.

Ease and safety are paramount: Electricians are not required to install the Aeon Labs Smart Energy Monitor; the customer never needs to handle hot exposed wiring. Current transformer clamps clamp around the AC Mains to detect energy usage for the entire house. The main body is anchored using a back mount which opens to easily for battery replacement every 1 years.

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2011, 04:28:19 pm »
Hi

For single phase kit you need to put the clamp round a single conductor to the item you are measuring, live or neutral whichever is easiest to get on

For 3 phase you need one clamp on each of the 3 lives and ignore the neutral.

For me it failed to set up with the batteries in, disassociating, removing batteries and then associating while USB powered and batteries removed then worked, it took a while for the 3 clamps to appear though.

Each of the 3 clamps gives an individual output and there is a sum as well. For me I am going to use them on the main incomer and on 2 large separate loads that I want to monitor.

I also want to log 2 temperatures, just need to master Dataminer now!

Nick

Offline vw

« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2011, 05:02:26 pm »
Just wanted to report that I'm finally getting this HEM thing working.

Using this documentation http://code.google.com/p/open-zwave/source/browse/trunk/config/aeon_labs/hem.xml I started playing with setting Device Options manually. Mainly codes 101, 102, 103, 111, 112, 113. Trying to get 5 second updates for ALL three clamps and a total. So that means 3F0F (4 byte hex) for 101, 102 and 103 and 5 (4 byte hex) for 111, 112, 113.

Now FINALLY I'm getting sensible updates for each of the clamps and the total does add up.

My remaining problem is however that now Vera complains "Failed at: Setting user configuration" and randomly reads wrong values back for some settings (even ones I didn't change at all).

To be continued.

Offline vw

« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2011, 07:32:34 pm »
Aaargh I'm going crazy!

Couldn't get the errors to go away, so I figured I'd remove the whole thing and then pair it again with Vera. Now I can't get it back anymore!

A "Generic IO" device appears and later on even 3 sub-devices. They do show some Watts reading (not sure if it's accurate), but "Failed at: Getting the version".

Tried adding the "255" "Device Option" which ought to reset it to factory defaults, but I don't think it's taking. Does anyone know how to reset the device using the physical button?

Offline pzucchel

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #176 on: November 26, 2011, 06:41:24 pm »
HI to All,

i think i've broken through...i also had all the same issues: MW readings, unfrequent update, irregular response...

THE SOLUTION: exclude it from the vera2 (see instructions, long press of the z-wave button) and then reinclude the unit....it starts working.

;D

if you have firmware 3.60, the googles instruction reported below match the information from AEON:
http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/uploads/resources/e0b35c0e67818e05ae869d08ec5b236709fcebad.pdf

i have two clamps, i disabled parameter 3 (write a zero) and set 0x304 in parameter 101. Now, the two clamps give sensible readings, they are updated every 30 seconds (my choice, choose the time interval you like in 111) with a constant pace....and yes - if i put them on the same power line they give the same number within 5%.

Hope it helps,
Best

Offline Minnies

« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2011, 07:37:03 pm »
Okay I changed configuration variables 3, 4 and 5 and am getting more frequent updates.

My question is with regards to the two child devices.  Can they be deleted without any other impact? I am not on location and do not want to do something that would require reinstallation.

Offline vw

« Reply #178 on: November 29, 2011, 03:52:01 am »
Well... I didn't do much for a week, and then one day the errors were gone and it was back to default (crappy) behaviour.

This time I changed the values one by one, slowly adjusting them to what I wanted and now will leave it at the following:

3 - 1 byte dec - 7 (I didn't change this, see below)
101 - 4 byte HEX - 0704  (less bits set, should cause less data traffic I guess)
111 - 4 byte dec - 15

All the documentation I have says setting 3 (Enable Delta) should be 0 or 1, but for some reason it wants to be 7 on my device. I'm not gonna touch that anymore.

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2011, 05:47:17 pm »
Hi

My system is taking shape now and I am getting useful data out of Vera via DataMine.

I have a 3 clamp Aeon working and responding well and now want to perform calculations on the outputs to create a virtual 4th channel and don't know how easy this will be.

I am set up with:-

clamp 1 on the incoming supply reading the whole house consumption.

Clamp 2 on the heat pump running the heating system

Clamp 3 on the hot tub supply.

What I would like to do would be to create a "remaining loads" channel comprising

remaining load = clamp 1 - clamp 2 - clamp 3.

This would let me start pinning down what else is using power and how much of it.
 Ideally it would appear as a virtual device so that  I can log it in DataMine.

Any thoughts on doing sums on the Aeon outputs are welcome.

Nick