We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: aeon labs energy monitor  (Read 182991 times)

Offline leywok

Re: aeon labs energy monitor
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2013, 11:55:54 am »
I'm a newbie, just adding on a new system for a remote property. So far, the HEM is the worst device to set up.
After 2 weeks of reading the boards, adding/deleting device about 10 times, it does not read anything.
2 clamps, USB power all to no avail.
Am I missing something or is this a POS.?
I did also upgrade the HEM software.

Offline Thomasss

« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2013, 12:27:13 pm »
I'm a newbie, just adding on a new system for a remote property. So far, the HEM is the worst device to set up.
After 2 weeks of reading the boards, adding/deleting device about 10 times, it does not read anything.
2 clamps, USB power all to no avail.
Am I missing something or is this a POS.?
I did also upgrade the HEM software.
Take a look at the page before. Specially this post from thetonyg : http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.msg94937.html#msg94937
You need to modify the device option of the master device in order to get it working proprelly.

After a few week with settings bellow, mine are still working very well. Thanks again to thetonyg.

3 : 1
101 : 16140
111 :30

Good luck

Offline Adam Ingham

« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2013, 08:03:33 am »
Has anyone got the HEM working with the following equation:
Clamp1 - Clamp2 = Energy_Avalable

I've got clamp1 measuring power usage of my home & clamp2 measuring my solar generation in watts.
I've followed the instructions Posted by: melinm, and the virtual device shows in the U15 but no power showing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Adam

Offline Vito

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2013, 02:09:05 pm »
I've purchased the two-clamp HEM, but I'm trying to monitor the two mains (in the US - two 110's), as well as the Solar PV line.  My goal is to obtain the total net usage in the house.  Can I purchase a third clamp without buying an entirely new unit?  Is there a simpler solution to my problem?

Offline Fitzy

« Reply #199 on: June 05, 2013, 05:06:16 am »

I've got clamp1 measuring power usage of my home & clamp2 measuring my solar generation in watts.
I've followed the instructions Posted by: melinm, and the virtual device shows in the U15 but no power showing.

Adam

Hi Adam

Did you have any luck getting this working?

I just setup a three clamp version (clamp 1 - mains, clamp 2 - solar and just to use it clamp 3 - air-conditioner) and am wanting to do something similar.

Ideally I want the master device to only report clamp 1 minus clamp 2 = total power being used (and ignore clamp 3 altogether as this is just to see how much power the air-conditioner is using when its on).

Thanks

Offline gwright77

« Reply #200 on: June 11, 2013, 10:23:24 am »
Hello,

I have a 3 clamp version and plan to use each clamp on an individual single phase sub main in a commercial environment.

I am using the Ergy plugin and this does what I need - however it only shows the precalculated sum of the 3 phases device as an engery meter and usable by Ergy. Is there any way to expose all of the individual clamps an an engery meter?

Thanks,

Graham

Offline Adam Ingham

« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2013, 04:15:59 pm »
Hi Fitzy,
Sorry, no, I didn't manage to get this working. Gave up.

Offline Fitzy

« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2013, 06:20:09 am »
Hi Fitzy,
Sorry, no, I didn't manage to get this working. Gave up.

Hopefully someone can have a win and share with everyone how to do it

Offline melinm

« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2013, 05:19:59 am »

Adam

Hi Adam

Did you have any luck getting this working?

I just setup a three clamp version (clamp 1 - mains, clamp 2 - solar and just to use it clamp 3 - air-conditioner) and am wanting to do something similar.

Ideally I want the master device to only report clamp 1 minus clamp 2 = total power being used (and ignore clamp 3 altogether as this is just to see how much power the air-conditioner is using when its on).

Thanks

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.msg105801.html#msg105801

Offline phoenix1030

« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2013, 03:50:04 pm »
I have the 2 clamp version HEM with vera lite. All three devices are detected (2 clamps, one total device). Initially all devices were giving readings properly. After a few days of operation I now have the following issues:

1. Clamp 1 is frozen and does not appear to be reading any new values.
2. clamp 1 + clamp 2, does not equal what's reported in total. I presume this is due to the frozen clamp or the clamp values are being reported at different intervals than total.

I've gone through the steps listed: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.msg94937.html#msg94937

I've changed the following device options and still seeing the problem:
3 = 0
101 = 6924
111 = 10

Also, my device is reading version: 3,2,78,67

Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline Pshomectrl

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2013, 06:04:50 am »
@phoenix1030
I had the same problem with my HEM.
Everytime one of the clamps was frozen, i realized that also the "capabilities" line in the settings tab of the frozen clamp was empty.
After "Config Node right now" (only for the Masterdevice of HEM) all clamps are reading corectly again.
When i found this i started to write a scene which checks (LUUP Code) if one of the "capabilities" line is empty. If so, it starts a Config node for the masterdevice of HEM.
After this, i no longer had problems with.
My scene uses no Trigger.
It uses a scheduler starting the schen every 15 Minutes. (This can be also a longer timeperiod)
It uses this LUUP Code:
(Even if i read "clamp all" and all 3 single clamps i'm only checking for "clamp all" and clamp 1 and clamp 2)

local c_all = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1", "Capabilities", 16)
local c_1 = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1", "Capabilities", 17)
local c_2 = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1", "Capabilities", 18)
local c_3 = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1", "Capabilities", 19)
if (c_all == "210,28,0,4,33,1,L,R,B,RS,|49,50:2,96:2,112,114,128,133,134,"
 and c_1 == "210,28,0,4,33,1,L,R,B,RS,|49,50,"
 and c_2 == "210,28,0,4,33,1,L,R,B,RS,|49,50,") then
 return false
end

Hope it was described clear and helps you.
Regards, Paul

Append from Paul:
In meantime, i realized, that all the "capabilities" do have other entries.
That's why, my AEON will simply be reconfigured every 15 Minutes.
May be, it's better to check for empty "capabilities" lines instead of checking for a specific value.
Maybe, this changes happened after updating VERAs firmware.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:44:17 am by Pshomectrl »

Offline mrcashback

« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2013, 04:59:19 am »
OK, been giving it more thought and realise there is a "hopefully simple" change needed here/

The Aeon has a master device and 3 slaves in Vera, the slaves being the 3 individual clamps and the master "already having a calculation in it" which is the sum of the 3 clamps.

This is designed for 3 phase systems where the total power is that calculation.

In my case everything is going through clamp 1 and then 2 and 3 cover individual large loads.

If I can simply modify this sum in the master device to be

clamp 1 - clamp 2 - clamp 3 

Instead of 1 + 2 + 3

I can achieve what I am after without major coding.

Has anyone any idea where the master device calculation takes place?? I can't see a lua file associated with the Aeon in the plugins directory, where would it be located??

Many thanks

Nick

You can create you own device and setting the value on a watching method
I do something like this with my 2 clamp version:

I create a virtual device type urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:PowerMeter:1 with device file D_PowerMeter1.xml

and in my startup script:
HEM_GEN is my first clamp ,HEM_PV my second clamp and HEM_CALC is my virtual device

luup.variable_watch("calcPowerKwh","urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","KWH",HEM_GEN)
luup.variable_watch("calcPowerWatts","urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","Watts",HEM_GEN)

function calcPowerKwh()
--kwh
local kwhGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", HEM_GEN)
local kwhPv = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", HEM_PV)
local s=kwhGen-kwhPv
luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","KWH",s,HEM_CALC)
end

function calcPowerWatts()
--Watts
local wattsGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", HEM_GEN)
local wattsPv = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", HEM_PV)
local s=wattsGen-wattsPv
luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","Watts",s,HEM_CALC)
end

OK, so, I read it, and the script makes perfect sence, BUT, I have NFI how to impliment it.... was hoping you (or anyone for that matter) may be able to break this down step by step for a complete noob.
definiteley including... how do I add a virtual device that does the above.
Where do I put the start up script
are any other fields important (ie id, parent, implementation filename etc)
Im presuming HEM_GEM/HEM_PV correspond with the names of your clamps??

I did what I thought might be the right (and went to develop app which was the only section that had anything looking remoteley similar), and got a device to appear that said Watts KWH, but with no figures that were calculated - it didnt seem to be actually pulling any data from anywhere, so, I think rather than assume ANY of what I did was accurate, I may just be best starting at the top and going through each step one at a time!   ???

Offline Pshomectrl

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2013, 11:19:52 am »
Hi mrcashback
As i realized, all the calculation are done inside the AEON HEM.
AEON meassures the actual Watts and also counts all the used KWh after the last reset for all 3 clamps and also for the master which is the product from all 3 clamps.
VERA only reads the values out of the AEON HEM
One thing all of you should care is that AEON only meassures resitive loads correctly. If for example a vacumcleaner is running, then AEON shows more powerconsumption as a real usage meter. This is, i think, because these inductive clamps can not see in which direction the power goes. (from the supplyer to the motor or from motor to the supplyer.) More info is to find by reading info about Cos.-Phi.

Regards, Paul

Offline mrcashback

« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2013, 11:57:33 am »
I see the resistive load thing in effect as it shows 150w being produced by each of my solar arrays in the middle of the night - obviously not true... but during the day it seemed fairly accurate to the production values specified by the inverters.
So, With this in mind, inspired by melinm's post I quoted above, what I'm hoping to do is:

Clamp 1: Neutral Wire from Main circuit RCD should measure actual house usage
Clamp 2: Solar Inverter #1 Live wire before it reaches main breaker to read production
Clamp 3: Solar Inverter #2 Live Wire before it reaches main breaker to read production

I'd like to create a virtual device (or devices) as described above which will allow me to view
House Usage KW from Clamp 1
Solar Production (Clamp 2 + Clamp 3)
Net Import/Feed in KW (Clamp 1 - Clamp 2 - Clamp 3)

And (now I'm Pushing it) all while negating readings from clamps 2 + 3 entireley if either read below 200w (or to only read/calculate clamp 1 after sunset/before sunrise)

melinm's script above looks like it can be used to achieve exactly this (with a few tweaks to negate the low readings on the solar lines), but, how do I actualy implement it and make it work??? I just dont know where to physicaly type out the script, or any of the other input details to make this happen
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:06:30 pm by mrcashback »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2013, 01:36:27 pm »
Actually Neutral wire monitor will only measure the differential load abs(L1 - L2)
If you use exactly the same current in L1 and L2 the neutral will not carry any current.

You can validate this ... Put one on L1, L2, and neutral ...
You will see that the neutral does NOT equal L1 + L2,   but it equals abs(L1 - L2).

For your use you should put one on L1 and L2 and  one of the inverter lines.
Production should be balanced. So it would be twice the power of the measured value.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:50:13 pm by RichardTSchaefer »