We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: aeon labs energy monitor  (Read 182714 times)

Offline mrcashback

Re: aeon labs energy monitor
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2013, 08:58:12 pm »
Actually Neutral wire monitor will only measure the differential load abs(L1 - L2)
If you use exactly the same current in L1 and L2 the neutral will not carry any current.

You can validate this ... Put one on L1, L2, and neutral ...
You will see that the neutral does NOT equal L1 + L2,   but it equals abs(L1 - L2).

Are we talking 240V AC here (I'm in the land of Aus)? I was of the understanding that the only difference between neutral and live wires for AC applications is the live wire is normaly switched.... My "neutral" and "live" wires seemed to be reading exactly the same as eachother.... But.... I could be wrong, and if So, what is L1 + L2 (I figure live 1 live 2, but whats the difference)??

For your use you should put one on L1 and L2 and  one of the inverter lines.
Production should be balanced. So it would be twice the power of the measured value.

My solar arrays are East facing on one inverter and West facing on the other, so thier outputs are very very different, one cranks in the morning, the other in the afternoon, so unfortunatley they cannot be treated as equal production entities.

With this in mind, if I do need to meve the first clamp from the neutral wire, it will need to go to the Main incoming live wire at the power meter, as there is no room to get it around just the house use live wire without it going around the solar feed wires at the same time (the breakers for each are right next to eachother and all connect in together - any other live wires only go seperate circuits).

But given the AC, is this actualy neccessary
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:00:23 pm by mrcashback »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2013, 09:31:17 pm »
I was speaking for typical US setup and did not know you had two separate inverters.

In US we typically have 240V  between L1 and L2 and 120 V between L1 or L2 and the neutral wire ... Solar power Inverters are typically 240 V.

Hard to differentiate between an L1 and L2 from a single inverter vs
L1 for inverter 1 and L2 for inverter2.

Down under if you only have a Single L and Neutral wire for your residential service (I guess you get 1 leg from a Y-Connected 3 Phase transformer) your approach should work.

I guess this all points to the fact that discussions need to include a discussion of the power distribution system in use.

Offline mrcashback

« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2013, 10:07:24 pm »
I guess this all points to the fact that discussions need to include a discussion of the power distribution system in use.
True!

Down under if you only have a Single L and Neutral wire for your residential service (I guess you get 1 leg from a Y-Connected 3 Phase transformer) your approach should work.. 

Cool (and correct re 1 output from 3phase).....
Now, the part I really need help with, is the implementation of the afformentioned coding and virtual devices to perform my necessary calculations (unless theres a plugin I can download that already does this) on the vera3, and display me the results in a similar manner as the HEM

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »
If you want to measure actual house usage then you will need to clamp around the active cable on the downstream (house) side of where the inverters feed into the meter, and on the upstream (supplier) side of any appliances in your house.  In my house the installer had to insert a small piece of very fat copper wire, because that part of the circuit existed only logically, not physically.

You could theoretically put the clamp around the corresponding neutral cable instead, but because neutral isn't explicitly switched in the meter box it isn't always possible to point to a wire and say that's upstream of all appliances; electricians often merge those wires in ways that save copper but aren't something you can clamp around. (Note to Americans: in residential Australia, neutral is collected onto one conductor in the meter box and then attached to earth. Earth leakage detectors are not common. Active in most homes is all on a single phase, one of three chosen randomly from the pole on the street.)

See what they say on Whirlpool to get a locally relevant response. Actually, I know what they'll say: get an electrician to do it. (Note for Americans: it is illegal to alter your fixed wiring in Australia. Another reason why home automation has caught on less here.)

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2013, 10:11:58 pm »
In my copious free time I plan to make a plugin that does arithmetic on power devices. Seems like this is exactly what you need.

Edit: here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,15840.0.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:31:39 am by futzle »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2013, 10:13:45 pm »
If you only have 1 energy monitor ... just modify the implementation file to suit your needs.

Offline mrcashback

« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2013, 10:30:51 pm »
If you want to measure actual house usage then you will need to clamp around the active cable on the downstream (house) side of where the inverters feed into the meter, and on the upstream (supplier) side of any appliances in your house.  In my house the installer had to insert a small piece of very fat copper wire, because that part of the circuit existed only logically, not physically.
The physical room around my cables prevents this..... My Inverer Active wires are wired into the top of thier own breaker fuses, and then out the bottom gostraight into the mains Breaker Switch - which, sitting immediateley next to eachother, means theres not enough room to seperate the electricity used by the house from the electricity produced by the Solar...... So The alternatives are Main incomming power (either before or after Meter), but that is problematic as it will include solar stats (and a calculation would be innefective as theres no good way to determine if im feeding in or drawing from the grid to make any real sence of it) - So I went with the Neutral wire as you mentioned below

You could theoretically put the clamp around the corresponding neutral cable instead, but because neutral isn't explicitly switched in the meter box it isn't always possible to point to a wire and say that's upstream of all appliances; electricians often merge those wires in ways that save copper but aren't something you can clamp around.
I placed it on the Neutral Wire comming Out of the RCD Breaker switch - everything but the solar heads through there

If you only have 1 energy monitor ... just modify the implementation file to suit your needs.

How do I actualy do this though?? I've only had the vera less than 48hrs, and trying to get my head around this side of it....
What is the implimentation file, where can I find it, how can I change it etc etc etc.

The virtual devices route looked like a solid solution - but I just dont know how to do it without a few more pointers

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »
I do not have an Aeon monitor.
I assume it has 1 master device and 3 slave devices in Vera.
On the master device ... go to the Advanced tab ... look for the name of the implementation file (called impl_file).

Then goto Vera Apps then Develop Apps  then Luup Files
This will show you many of the customizable files on your system. Download the implementation file. Save an original copy somewhere. Then edit the file ... you will need to read up a little on LUA programming. Then upload the file back to Vera using the Restart LUUP option.

Creating a virtual device requires a lot more understanding of how pieces fit together. Here you only need to change the implementation of an existing device.

If you have some questions post the file (or PM me) ... I will be happy to give you some pointers where to change the code.

Sounds like @futzle has some ideas about how to generalize this as a virtual device.

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2013, 11:11:53 pm »
On the master device ... go to the Advanced tab ... look for the name of the implementation file (called impl_file).

The Aeon HEM is a Z-Wave device so it's possible that some of the implementation is buried in LuaUPnP.

Offline mrcashback

« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2013, 11:40:16 pm »
On the master device ... go to the Advanced tab ... look for the name of the implementation file (called impl_file).Sounds like @futzle has some ideas about how to generalize this as a virtual device.

Thanks, but there is no file specified for impl_file on the AeonHEM, just a device file
I  tried to do the following, but cant work out where I went wrong (or right for that matter)

You can create you own device and setting the value on a watching method
I do something like this with my 2 clamp version:

I create a virtual device type urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:PowerMeter:1 with device file D_PowerMeter1.xml

and in my startup script:
HEM_GEN is my first clamp ,HEM_PV my second clamp and HEM_CALC is my virtual device

luup.variable_watch("calcPowerKwh","urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","KWH",HEM_GEN)
luup.variable_watch("calcPowerWatts","urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","Watts",HEM_GEN)

function calcPowerKwh()
--kwh
local kwhGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", HEM_GEN)
local kwhPv = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", HEM_PV)
local s=kwhGen-kwhPv
luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","KWH",s,HEM_CALC)
end

function calcPowerWatts()
--Watts
local wattsGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", HEM_GEN)
local wattsPv = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", HEM_PV)
local s=wattsGen-wattsPv
luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","Watts",s,HEM_CALC)
end

So Perhaps I'll specify what I actually did, you may know where I went wrong

- I went to Apps>Develop Apps>Create device
- I entered urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:PowerMeter:1 in the "device type: field
- I entered D_PowerMeter1.xml in the "upnp device filename" field (this is the same device filename used by the AEON HEM
With every other field blank, (and drop down menues set to no room, no parent), I clicked Create Device

This resulted in a popup saying "device created 17", and when I go to the devices tab, I see it listed there with no name, and if I click on the spanner, under the control tab it says "watts" KWH"..... so far it appears to be going right... but next is where I think I've gone wrong

I now go back to Apps>Develop Apps, then go to Edit Startup Lua
I type in the following code (bearing in mind my clamps are named "Home_Clamp1", "SolarWEST_Clamp2", and "SolarEast_Clamp3"

function calcPowerKwh()
--kwh
local kwhGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", House_Clamp1)
local kwhPvw = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", SolarWEST_Clamp2)
local kwhPve = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", SolarEAST_Clamp3)
local s=kwhGen-kwhPvw-kwhPve
luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","KWH",s,HEM_CALC)
end

--Watts
local wattsGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", House_Clamp1)
local wattsPvw = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", SolarWEST_Clamp2)
local wattsPve = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", SolarEAST_Clamp3)
local s=wattsGen-wattsPvw-wattsPve
luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","Watts",s,HEM_CALC)
end

- I Click "GO", and a popup says "startup lua updated"
- I click Save
- I click Continue
- I return to devices
Upon inspecting my "handiwork" the virtual device still does nothing..... clearly the code is in the wrong place, or I need to make other changes - but...... what? ???

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2013, 07:29:47 am »
See here for my Power Arithmetic plugin.  Hope it's useful.

Offline melinm

« Reply #221 on: August 23, 2013, 02:30:40 am »
You also need to watch variable change.
Use this method in you startup:

luup.variable_watch("calcPowerKwh","urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","KWH",HEM_GEN)
luup.variable_watch("calcPowerWatts","urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","Watts",HEM_GEN)

On the master device ... go to the Advanced tab ... look for the name of the implementation file (called impl_file).Sounds like @futzle has some ideas about how to generalize this as a virtual device.

Thanks, but there is no file specified for impl_file on the AeonHEM, just a device file
I  tried to do the following, but cant work out where I went wrong (or right for that matter)

You can create you own device and setting the value on a watching method
I do something like this with my 2 clamp version:

I create a virtual device type urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:PowerMeter:1 with device file D_PowerMeter1.xml

and in my startup script:
HEM_GEN is my first clamp ,HEM_PV my second clamp and HEM_CALC is my virtual device

function calcPowerKwh()
--kwh
local kwhGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", HEM_GEN)
local kwhPv = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", HEM_PV)
local s=kwhGen-kwhPv
end

--Watts
local wattsGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", HEM_GEN)
local wattsPv = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", HEM_PV)
local s=wattsGen-wattsPv
end

So Perhaps I'll specify what I actually did, you may know where I went wrong

- I went to Apps>Develop Apps>Create device
- I entered urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:PowerMeter:1 in the "device type: field
- I entered D_PowerMeter1.xml in the "upnp device filename" field (this is the same device filename used by the AEON HEM
With every other field blank, (and drop down menues set to no room, no parent), I clicked Create Device

This resulted in a popup saying "device created 17", and when I go to the devices tab, I see it listed there with no name, and if I click on the spanner, under the control tab it says "watts" KWH"..... so far it appears to be going right... but next is where I think I've gone wrong

I now go back to Apps>Develop Apps, then go to Edit Startup Lua
I type in the following code (bearing in mind my clamps are named "Home_Clamp1", "SolarWEST_Clamp2", and "SolarEast_Clamp3"

function calcPowerKwh()
--kwh
local kwhGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", House_Clamp1)
local kwhPvw = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", SolarWEST_Clamp2)
local kwhPve = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", SolarEAST_Clamp3)
local s=kwhGen-kwhPvw-kwhPve
end

--Watts
local wattsGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", House_Clamp1)
local wattsPvw = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", SolarWEST_Clamp2)
local wattsPve = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", SolarEAST_Clamp3)
local s=wattsGen-wattsPvw-wattsPve
end

- I Click "GO", and a popup says "startup lua updated"
- I click Save
- I click Continue
- I return to devices
Upon inspecting my "handiwork" the virtual device still does nothing..... clearly the code is in the wrong place, or I need to make other changes - but...... what? ???

Offline AlanNatsFan

Yet Another Newbie Question
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2013, 11:07:33 am »
I have the two clamp version of the AEON HEM with my Veralite . Rather than wire it into the breaker I just connected a plug to the bare wires and plugged it into the socket next to my main panel. I am assuming there is no issue doing that.

Like so many before me I am having issues. I have changed parameter 111 to 6924 (I assume it is a 4 byte decimal field. The device shows up as 3 generic IO devices with ON/OFF buttons. Not sure why they haven't updated the UI to correctly recognize this (sorry for the minor rant). My assumption is that clamp 1 + clamp 2 = HEM. They seem to still be on differing polling intervals. I saw that someone had changed the parameter for polling interval but that never seemed to work out correctly.

What I am not sure is what version does my HEM run. I am used to the US notation (x.xx.xx). Under version I see 3,3,40,1,12 is that the same as 3.3.40.1.12 or is it reporting version for a number of components?  I also attached a screenshot of the UI.

Thanks in advance for your help. Feel free to quietly chuckle at the newbie :-)

Offline brettow

« Reply #223 on: September 04, 2013, 05:35:56 pm »
@mrcashback Im also in oz (syd) and have the same device and solar setup with a single inverter so interested in how you get on.

Currently using a current cost device logging to pvoutput with the different clamps measuring consumption and export.

However if this works it would be far more efficient.

Cheers,
Brett

Offline mrcashback

« Reply #224 on: September 07, 2013, 01:36:55 am »
@mrcashback Im also in oz (syd) and have the same device and solar setup with a single inverter so interested in how you get on.

So.... AEON HEM to monitor solar.... it has its ups and downs....
-I have a 2x inverter system..... I have one clamp around the NEUTRAL wire on the house side of my RCD breaker.....  This clamp monitors my total household consumption.
-I have 2x clamps around the LIVE 240v solar feeds from the inverters before they hit my main breaker. This measure the output of each array individually.

Using Futzle's Power arithmetic app, I set up a few  different virtual monitors to give me +'ve and -ve readings for the solar production, and to monitor total import/total export values in a single device...... this in turn allowed for correct graphing of values that matter in the ERGy plugin, instead of just adding solar production to consumption like it does by default..
I also used thi plugin to report solar values reported under 200W as zero, to eradicate the low current erroneous false readings...

All in all, it works OK like this.... the problem is however, either the AEON HEM, or the micasaverde software has a glitch that neither MCV or AEON tech support have been able to identify (this seems to be a common issue with many)..... the glitch results in one or nor clamps 'locking up'... ie, stops reporting new values, even though you can see that the primary device is still calculating from updated values..... this follows through to the virtual devices and results in graphing errors, and the primary device needs to be reconfigured to fix it..... it was happening once a day, but so far its bee 2x weeks since the last lockup, so, here's hoping!