We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: aeon labs energy monitor  (Read 183008 times)

Offline bucko

Re: aeon labs energy monitor
« Reply #255 on: April 07, 2014, 09:08:19 pm »
It does seem your spikes are high. When my water kicks in, it consumes 3k, which is normal. Also, noise generally looks like my graph.
Yours really looks looks like a device of some sort is operating.

Your config setup may be having this report on the wrong scale (20+K), so that may be misleading. What about your other devices? Do you think the pwr usage looks correct? Compared to mine, they look high. But my home is 100% LED lights (21vdc), so it will be less.

If I turn on all lights in my house (13 rooms), I use 640w total.
Everything off (lights), I use 215w ambient power, mostly from my PC. The refer maybe adds another 1000w when I cycles on.

BTW, I use a Gen 2 HEM, 2 probe in 220V 50hz system.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:21:42 pm by bucko »
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2014, 07:11:41 am »
I think I have the config worked out properly now after reading the documentation. I'll post here in hopes of saving someone the frustration I had -

I'm using the G2 2-clamp version on 2-phase, 120v, 60Hz

3 - 1 byte dec - 0 (turns off reporting only when there is enough of a change - needed for custom report timers)
101 - 4 byte dec - 770 (reports watts for whole, clamp 1, clamp 2)
111 - 4 byte dec - 10 (reporting time for 101 - 10 seconds)
102 - 4 byte dec - 6145 (reports KwH for whole, clamp 1, clamp 2)
112 - 4 byte dec - 60 (reporting time for 102 - 60 seconds)

You're right about the spikes being correct. Apparently my heat pump (it heats and cools) pulls over 25,000 watts!  :o You can see in the attached where my heat pump kicked in this morning. I'm surprised at how much power some devices pull!

But I am confident that it is working correctly now. Thanks for your input.

Offline bucko

« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2014, 08:44:48 pm »
WOW, that heat pump is a monster! I'm happy you got it worked out.
Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2014, 08:08:40 am »
WOW, that heat pump is a monster! I'm happy you got it worked out.

Yeah, something's not right. I did the math and that number is way off. I get the spike as I expect them (like when using the oven, microwave, cooktop) but they are too high.

I've done some testing and found that the value for clamp 1 is always higher than clamp 2. So my 3 wattage values show like this:

Total = c1+(c1+c2)
c1 = c1+c2
c2 = c2

I could just monitor the value for c1 to give me total, but I want to have the correct values so I can narrow down my usage.

I contacted Aeotec support about it and they asked for my config settings. I've sent those and am waiting for their response.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:50:14 am by qwen3579 »

Offline itchyballs

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2014, 02:00:38 am »
Is it possible to use this to monitor when washing machine and laundry dryer cycles done? I am trying to figure out the most reliable way to get notified when washing/drying cycles done.

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #260 on: April 11, 2014, 11:23:48 am »
Is it possible to use this to monitor when washing machine and laundry dryer cycles done? I am trying to figure out the most reliable way to get notified when washing/drying cycles done.

I'm actually going to try that this weekend with mine. I ordered another one as Aeotec support determined mine to be defective. But before I send it back, I'm going to hook it up to my washer and dryer to test this. It should be possible with PLEG; just create a trigger for a large drop in wattage.

Offline itchyballs

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #261 on: April 11, 2014, 12:20:03 pm »

I'm actually going to try that this weekend with mine. I ordered another one as Aeotec support determined mine to be defective. But before I send it back, I'm going to hook it up to my washer and dryer to test this. It should be possible with PLEG; just create a trigger for a large drop in wattage.

Awesome! Please let me know how it works for you.

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #262 on: April 14, 2014, 04:05:02 pm »

It did not work well. I set a notification to trigger when the wattage dropped below 100 watts and it worked, however, whenever there was an update from the HEM (say 3 watts to 0, or even 0 watts to 10) I would get another notification. My dryer fluctuates between 0 and 3 watts when not in use, spikes to around 300 and drops back down to 3 when powering on, then stays around 300 while in operation.

So when I had the notifications enabled, I was getting constant notifications while the dryer was not running. I'm trying to figure if there is a way to get this working with PLEG, but it's not looking very promising.

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #263 on: April 18, 2014, 12:27:11 pm »

I finally got to work using this plugin - http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11076.0.html.

Read through the entire post (it's only 3 pages), download the zip and the newest updated file to replace the one in the zip. It works perfectly. I can now use my dryer and get the single notification when it's done.

Offline itchyballs

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #264 on: April 18, 2014, 05:51:40 pm »
I appreciate the update.

I finally got to work using this plugin - http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,11076.0.html.

Read through the entire post (it's only 3 pages), download the zip and the newest updated file to replace the one in the zip. It works perfectly. I can now use my dryer and get the single notification when it's done.

Offline itchyballs

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #265 on: April 18, 2014, 05:55:15 pm »
@qwen3579, is this what you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-DSB28xxx-ZWUS-Z-Wave-Energy-Edition/dp/B00FKJBUX2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1397857957&sr=8-6&keywords=aeotec

I noticed it has two clamps. Can I use one for the dryer and the other for the washing machine?

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #266 on: April 18, 2014, 06:26:50 pm »
@qwen3579, is this what you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-DSB28xxx-ZWUS-Z-Wave-Energy-Edition/dp/B00FKJBUX2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1397857957&sr=8-6&keywords=aeotec

I noticed it has two clamps. Can I use one for the dryer and the other for the washing machine?

Yes, that is the exact one I ordered, from that same seller. Be aware - the one they send you will have a plug on the end to plug into an outlet. I simply cut mine off and striped the wires to connect. You amy want to consider that if you're concerned about warranty.

Is your washer and dryer running from the same panel? My dryer (240v) comes from the main breakerbox and my washer (120v) comes from the subpanel inside my garage.

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #267 on: April 20, 2014, 12:53:40 pm »
Amazon shows two of these, ,an AC  power unit and a battery power unit. I'd one preferable to the other? Do they work the same?
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #268 on: April 20, 2014, 03:53:48 pm »
Amazon shows two of these, ,an AC  power unit and a battery power unit. I'd one preferable to the other? Do they work the same?

The battery powered one is the first generation model. The wired model is generation 2.

The G1 has a USB port and can be updated to the same firmware as the G2 - per Aeotec support. The G2 does not have a USB port.

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #269 on: April 20, 2014, 03:56:42 pm »
Thanks. I guess it's the G2 model then. Have to wire in an outlet then too.
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher