We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: aeon labs energy monitor  (Read 182706 times)

Offline qwen3579

Re: aeon labs energy monitor
« Reply #270 on: April 20, 2014, 04:45:40 pm »
Thanks. I guess it's the G2 model then. Have to wire in an outlet then too.

They make a model that you can wire directly into your breaker box. I cut the pigtail off mine and wired it directly.

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #271 on: April 20, 2014, 04:47:17 pm »
Good to know. I could just pick up the output side of a breaker and use that.

Thanks
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline mikewop

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2014, 11:28:34 am »
I have the G2 as well (US version, 2 clamps, ordered from Amazon), and mine did just have the bare wires, no plug (as pictured on Amazon). So I added a plug myself since I had an outlet nearby.

Offline yannicks

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2014, 07:09:39 am »
Hello,

I have a Home Energy Meter G2 (2nd edition, version info : 3,3,67,1,5) with 3 clamps at home.

I live in France (230V), I have 1 phase power incoming only and I want to measure distincly the electric consumption on 3 separate phases to see the consumption of 3 different devices (for example : lamp, oven, boiler).
HEM is well recognized by Vera Lite and I see 3 different electric consumptions in Vera coming from 3 different devices. But the value is incorrect : I notice that the measured value is around 5 times lower than real value...

Do you have an explanation ? May be there are some specific parameters relative to my configuration to define ? (230V, 1 phase incoming, 3 different devices to be monitored by the 3 clamps)

Please help because I am lost !

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2014, 07:47:55 am »
Hello,

I have a Home Energy Meter G2 (2nd edition, version info : 3,3,67,1,5) with 3 clamps at home.

I live in France (230V), I have 1 phase power incoming only and I want to measure distincly the electric consumption on 3 separate phases to see the consumption of 3 different devices (for example : lamp, oven, boiler).
HEM is well recognized by Vera Lite and I see 3 different electric consumptions in Vera coming from 3 different devices. But the value is incorrect : I notice that the measured value is around 5 times lower than real value...

Do you have an explanation ? May be there are some specific parameters relative to my configuration to define ? (230V, 1 phase incoming, 3 different devices to be monitored by the 3 clamps)

Please help because I am lost !

For future reference there is no need to cross post your question. It is frowned upon by many here.

- Garrett

Offline yannicks

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2014, 05:35:27 pm »
For future reference there is no need to cross post your question. It is frowned upon by many here.

Ok, I understand the point of view.
The thing is that both topics are very similar : both talk about the 2 versions of HEM. My intention was just to have more chance to find someone which can help me...
Anyway, I apologize if not appreciated.

Offline Hexasoarus

« Reply #276 on: January 09, 2015, 12:22:37 pm »
There are two model numbers:

1st Gen:  DSB09104-ZWUS (has batteries and USB port)
   (http://www.smarthome.com/75505/Aeon-Labs-DSB09104-ZWUS-Z-Wave-Home-Energy-Monitor/p.aspx )

2nd Gen: DSB28-ZWUS (no battery compartment and no USB port)
(http://store.homeseer.com/store/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-DSB28-ZWUS-Z-Wave-Home-Energy-Meter-2nd-Edition-P1643.aspx)

it looks like you have the first generation, the parameter settings will be slightly different since it has a battery.
From what I can tell from the settings you posted you already have the latest firmware (3.64) for the HEM, so that should be fine.

For the Gen 1 you could try this:

- set parameter 101 = 13 (send kWh, W, and battery level for the whole meter)
- set parameter 111 = 10 (for 10 second interval updates, set it to 60 if you want update every minute)

I had issues for the settings to "take" and had to have the VeraLite pretty close to the meter. But I have a G2, sop it might be different for yours.

PS: the "ZWUS" means it's a US model (908 MHz), if you have a European model it would be DSB28-ZWEU...

Mike

I know its been awhile, and I'm not sure anyone is still monitoring this thread.

I have been unable to get a GEN1 working (all numbers reporting are 0) on a Vera3 (UI5 - 1.5.622) even after reading through this thread as well as several others and searching on the internet.  I attempted to contact Aeon Labs and they have NOT responded to several messages submitted through their web-site for over a month now.  They also seem to have done a great job protecting their phone number.

I would like to get a Watts  and kWh report for the whole HEM.

I see that there appears to be a difference between the registers between the Gen1 and the Gen2, and I located the document that someone posted based on the informatoin from someone at Aeon Labs, but that appears to be oriented around the Gen2, does anyone have something like that explaining the configuration for Gen1?

I live in the US (120V - 2 phase) and have two of the large white clamps that appear to be the latest version
Here's what I have tried:
1.  Upgraded the HEM to the latest firmware (3.64)
2.  Made sure the clamps L->K have the arrows facing in the opposite direction on each of the incoming phases
3.  Have reset the module several times (Param 255 = 0) then cleared the parameter from the list.
4.  Set 111=10 (4 byte dec) (10s interval)
5.  Set 113=60 (4 byte dec) (60s interval)
6.  Tried various settings for 101: 6915, 770, 13, 7 (4 byte dec)
7.  Tried various settings for 103: 1B00h (4 byte hex), 6145 (4 byte dec)

I checked and the HEM seems to be reporting regularly based on the Epoch timestamp on the KWHReading register, but not necessarily every 10 seconds, or even every minute.

I know there should be enough information out there now to get this working, and I'm sorry to bother the group with yet another configuration question, but I can not get anything back other than zeros for both Watts and kWh, and since Aeon Labs seems to be unreachable, I don't know where else to turn.

Offline tinkerdoctor

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2015, 01:26:12 pm »
Me too.  I use vera UI7, otherwise everything is the same.

Offline Hexasoarus

« Reply #278 on: January 14, 2015, 04:08:37 pm »
Update to my issue two posts ago:  Aeon Labs got ahold of me (Chris Cheng, Thank you for your help!!)

He sent me several update files v3.67, v3.65, v3.64, v3.62 & v3.61 with instructions to load v3.67 un-pair/re-pair the HEM.  I was not able to unpair through traditional means, but simply deleted the HEM and Clamps 1 & 2 disappeared with it.  Reloaded (Vera 3 UI5) and it would reappear with default values.  I did the HEM reset (parameter 255=0 4 byte dec), which failed, then you delete the 255 parameter and the updated firmware version appears.  You then have to reprogram from the default parameter settings that appear.

I did this procedure for each revision of software working all the way back from 3.67 to 3.61 (identical process) and suddenly values started appearing for W & kWH (hurray!)...

..but it took be downgrading the Gen1 all the way back to v3.61.  Which is fine if it works.

What I did uncover is that the is a significant and dramatic difference in the 'Configuration Value 4' (LSB) that I'm SURE is confusing A LOT of people:
1) Gen1 does not support sending Amps or Volts

2) Gen1 LSB (Conf. Val 4)
    Gen1: Bit 0 = Auto Send Battery (Whole HEM)
    Gen1: Bit 1 = Auto Send MLSR (Multi Level Sensor Report) for (Whole HEM)
    Gen1: Bit 2 = Auto Send Watts (Whole HEM)
    Gen1: Bit 3 = Auto Send kWH (Whole HEM)

3) Gen2 LSB (Conf. Val 4)
    Gen2: Bit 0 = Auto Send kWH (Whole HEM)
    Gen2: Bit 1 = Auto Send Watts (Whole HEM)
    Gen2: Bit 2 = Auto Send Volts (Whole HEM)
    Gen2: Bit 3 = Auto Send Amps (Whole HEM)

I've worked up an Excel doc to capture this, but as noted earlier (or elsewhere) I don't think with my user rights I can post anything other than pictures here.

Offline Gr8hifi

« Reply #279 on: January 23, 2015, 12:41:48 pm »
That's a nice spreadsheet but I'm not real sure how to read it.  I have a Gen 1 with two clamps.  I'd just like to see it report total house usage of power at any given time.  I'd like to see it update at least every 30 seconds.  I'd prefer not to see three separate devices, but, if that's my biggest problem I can live with that.  I tried changing a few things but it seems like information on this device is kind of scattered.  I'm pretty green with all of this stuff so my understanding of what's going on "behind the scenes" is basic at best.

Any idea what I would be looking to add or change under a VeraEdge control system?

Thank you and again, nice work on the spreadsheet.

Offline mvader

« Reply #280 on: January 23, 2015, 01:12:44 pm »

What I did uncover is that the is a significant and dramatic difference in the 'Configuration Value 4' (LSB) that I'm SURE is confusing A LOT of people:
1) Gen1 does not support sending Amps or Volts

2) Gen1 LSB (Conf. Val 4)
    Gen1: Bit 0 = Auto Send Battery (Whole HEM)
    Gen1: Bit 1 = Auto Send MLSR (Multi Level Sensor Report) for (Whole HEM)
    Gen1: Bit 2 = Auto Send Watts (Whole HEM)
    Gen1: Bit 3 = Auto Send kWH (Whole HEM)

3) Gen2 LSB (Conf. Val 4)
    Gen2: Bit 0 = Auto Send kWH (Whole HEM)
    Gen2: Bit 1 = Auto Send Watts (Whole HEM)
    Gen2: Bit 2 = Auto Send Volts (Whole HEM)
    Gen2: Bit 3 = Auto Send Amps (Whole HEM)

I've worked up an Excel doc to capture this, but as noted earlier (or elsewhere) I don't think with my user rights I can post anything other than pictures here.

very helpful information & pic
thanks for putting it all together!

Offline Gr8hifi

« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2015, 03:26:04 pm »
Mvader:  how do I use this information?

Thank you,
Jason

Offline mvader

« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2015, 07:37:07 pm »
well i guess the first question is do you need to use it at all?
is the device performing as  you expect?
do you need different/other information than what is being presented?

Offline Gr8hifi

« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2015, 10:23:44 am »
What I'd like is to see one device and have it update at least every 30 seconds, is that possible?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:21:09 pm by Gr8hifi »

Offline knottyau75

« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2015, 05:57:22 pm »
Well, This is proving to be a frustrating Little Beasty.  Between my knowledge level and the Multitude of versions and the esoteric way this is configured I'm rather confused :)

Let me start from the Start and I hope somebody can  point out where I have gone Wrong.  I have a 3 Phase HEM which I believe i Version 1 (has Batteries and USB Port)

I have installed Firmware 3.64 for Australia (where I am )

I only want WATTS for wach clamp (at this point, maybe watts and KWH's later) and Watts and KWhrs for the whole HEM .

i have fitted the AC to USB adapter that came with the unit so I dont need the Battery report

From the Engineering Sheet I believe the Binary String to give me what I want is 0000111 0000110

1 - watts clamp 3
1 - watts clamp 2
1 - watts clamp 1
0 - reserved
0 - reserved
0 - reserved
0 - reserved
1 - KWh for Whole HEM
1 - WATTS for Whole HEM
0 - Battery Report

As I understand it, I convert this Binary string to Decimal and Use that value as Variable 101.

The Binary to decimal converter gives me a value of 902, which i add to Variable 101.

This configuration fails and seems to set a value of 774.

I'm guessing I'm doing something Fundamentally wrong. 

I'f I set a value of 12 I do get a value back for KWH and WAtts for the Whole HEM, But that is not a lot of use to me. 

Anyone tell what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in Advance

Knotty

Hopefully some-one can point out where