We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: aeon labs energy monitor  (Read 183031 times)

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: aeon labs energy monitor
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2011, 11:28:20 pm »
Both @futzle's CurrentCost EnviR Energy Monitor, and the Brultech Power Meter, plugins have code to handle the channel Addition/Subtraction stuff.  They have different implementations, but the net-effect is the same.

You could skinny down the code of either of those plugins to do effectively the same thing on the Sensor device values of another set of devices... any devices really, esp if someone wanted to add "Average", and other aggregation functions.

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2011, 02:52:34 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I've looked at the threads on those two devices and it all looks interesting.

I'm a newcomer to Vera and still feeling my way round so at the moment I am struggling with where to start, would I want to edit the existing AEON device drivers and do my sums in there (risking breaking what I have) or can I create a new "virtual device" which will get it's information from the 3 existing aeon child devices that provide clamp 1, clamp 2, and clamp 3 readings and do my sums there (preferred option)?

I'm reading into plugins etc but it's a massive learning curve from where I am starting from.

All thoughts welcome

Nick

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2011, 05:55:51 pm »
OK, been giving it more thought and realise there is a "hopefully simple" change needed here/

The Aeon has a master device and 3 slaves in Vera, the slaves being the 3 individual clamps and the master "already having a calculation in it" which is the sum of the 3 clamps.

This is designed for 3 phase systems where the total power is that calculation.

In my case everything is going through clamp 1 and then 2 and 3 cover individual large loads.

If I can simply modify this sum in the master device to be

clamp 1 - clamp 2 - clamp 3 

Instead of 1 + 2 + 3

I can achieve what I am after without major coding.

Has anyone any idea where the master device calculation takes place?? I can't see a lua file associated with the Aeon in the plugins directory, where would it be located??

Many thanks

Nick

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2011, 02:47:08 am »
I haven't seen the Aeon implementation but if it's implemented with Lua, then it'll be in either:
    /etc/cmh-lu/    OR;
    /etc/cmh-ludl/

and like as a L_*.lua or I_*.xml style of file.  If this turns out to be the case, then it can be "extended" with the same type of code @futzle and I have in our respective plugins.

On the other hand, if you don't find these, then it's been implemented in C.  If this turns out to be the case, you'd need to build a companion device/plugin that "knows" the DeviceId's of the respective Power devices to perform it's math on, and then do the calculations there.

Offline nickrwym

« Reply #184 on: December 10, 2011, 03:13:34 am »
No obvious file names in those directories.

There are files such as D_EnergyCalculator1.xml but I think they are the Vera energy stuff rather than the Aeon.

Looks like that calculation is built in -(

Do MCV write the implementation files for Z-wave accessories or do they come from the manufacturer (Aeon in this case)?

I don't know enough about the  sequence of events when devices are being made compatible with Vera here.

Nick

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2011, 03:23:55 am »
For things like this, MCV's team writes them.  The device "exposes itself" on Z-Wave using some sort of convention for the parent and children details, and then MCV does something in C to materialize it in the UI.

This is how other compound devices, like the HSM100 work as well.  They're "closed" in implementation.

Offline Fitzy

« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2012, 10:03:53 pm »
Just reading all the posts re the Aeon Labs HEM and notice there hasnt been any recent posts on the product or the mountains of problems everyone was experiencing with it and the support within Vera.

Does this mean the problem/s are all fixed and the device works well now and integrates with Vera fully or has everyone just got tired of waiting and moved onto other products?

I would like to replace my stand alone device and integrate it into my HA setup using Vera and I'm not sure if the HEM from Aeon Labs is the way to go or to use another device like the CurrentCost Envir?

I have spoken to others in other threads but given this one is specific to the HEM I thought I would ask again.

Any thoughts?

Offline emvrijswick

« Reply #187 on: December 01, 2012, 12:13:15 pm »
Hi all,

I bought a HEM3 and it's working pretty nicely after configuring a few parameters. I only have one problem and it's pretty irritating. The Watts displayed are about a factor 3 too high. I live in Europe, so 240 V power. I've set the parameter for 240V, so that should be fine (110V would give me a lower reading). When I turn on a 40 Watt lightbulb, it shows up as using 70 Watt. When turning on a 70W device, it shows up as using 200W.

Anybody having similar problems or knows of a possible solution?

@Scottf, not all problems gone then  ;)

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #188 on: December 01, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »
I bought a HEM3 and it's working pretty nicely

I only have one problem and it's pretty irritating. The Watts displayed are about a factor 3 too high. I live in Europe, so 240 V power. I've set the parameter for 240V, so that should be fine (110V would give me a lower reading). When I turn on a 40 Watt lightbulb, it shows up as using 70 Watt. When turning on a 70W device, it shows up as using 200W.

How can that be considered as working pretty nicely with that much of contradiction? Seriously RMA it!
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline emvrijswick

« Reply #189 on: December 01, 2012, 01:17:30 pm »
How can that be considered as working pretty nicely with that much of contradiction? Seriously RMA it!

I've been trying to install it in Homeseer which left me totally frustrated, after that I tried it on Vera2 expecting an even worse excercise, but the only thing that goes wrong is the actual values it's sending. It's a consistent factor off, so I can imagine changing some value to correct it. Therefore I found it working pretty well, since I could just change the voltage by the factor it is off to correct the read out. I was just wondering if anybody else had encountered this and knows of a better solution, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I also don't think there is any alternative for the european marked for measuring power...

Next to that, yesterday I RMA-ed 6 Duewi switches and one Fibaro 221, I'm really hoping that I finally get something that I can get to work  ;)

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2012, 01:30:49 pm »
Return it if you can, or do like me and chalk it up as a bad mistake!

Either get either a Ted 5000 or Brultech which are far more accurate, and have Vera plugins. I'm about to order a Brultech Greeneye which allows for monitoring of 32 circuits.
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline emvrijswick

« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2012, 02:25:23 pm »
Return it if you can, or do like me and chalk it up as a bad mistake!

Either get either a Ted 5000 or Brultech which are far more accurate, and have Vera plugins. I'm about to order a Brultech Greeneye which allows for monitoring of 32 circuits.
Unfortunately the TED5000 is not available for 50Hz 240V. The Brultech might be an option, thanks for the tip!

I've just changed the voltage of the HEM3 from 240V to 70V to compensate for the too high power it is showing. Now I get a reasonable readout, but I've not payed 130 euro for a unit that I have to calibrate myself, so I will probably return it. I already have an rfxPwr that is out of calibration, so no added value for keeping the HEM3. Unless someone can offer a better solution (wondering what the re-calibrate function does   ;))
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:29:20 pm by emvrijswick »

Offline thetonyg

« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2012, 10:53:00 pm »
Hi gang,

I got my HEM working really well with Vera thanks to some tips and information in this thread.  I'll just try to combine all of that information here (as far as what helped me) so maybe this will help someone else.   It seems to be really accurate as I am running it in conjunction with a TED5000, and it's always less than 2% off from TED (with faster updates -- sadly I have noisy wiring in the house and so I have regular problems with TED).

Problem #0 -- yes, we start at 0, like any good technologist :)  Firmware needed to be updated to 3.67 (available on wiki.micasaverde.com, just search for 3.67)
Problem #1 -- the unit showed up as an inwall switch and two separate generic IO devices.  Per pzucchel's post, I removed and readded the unit and Vera recognized the two clamps and main meter correctly!
Problem #2 -- infrequent / inaccurate updates.  Parameter 3, Enable Delta, needed to be set to 0.  When Delta is enabled, HEM only reports when power usage has changed by 25 watts or by 5% (default values in my Vera UI5), which should cut down on Zwave network traffic.  Unfortunately this was somehow making the readings unreliable / incorrect / infrequent.  I also changed update frequency to 10 seconds (parameter 111).
Problem #3 -- clamps were not sending updates.  This looks like a deficiency in Vera's default values for parameter 101.  I don't blame MCV as it seems you can get an HEM with either 2 or 3 clamps, and parameter 101 is different depending on which model you have.  Default value for my install was 12, which only sets meter reports for the whole unit and not individual clamps. 

The doc at http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/uploads/resources/e0b35c0e67818e05ae869d08ec5b236709fcebad.pdf was very helpful (thanks for posting that link pzucchel!). 

2 clamp variety parameter 101: set to 6924
3 clamp variety parameter 101: set to 16140

This will turn on clamp reporting at the same time the whole unit reports.

Hope this helps someone along the way.

Offline Thomasss

As
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2013, 01:19:52 pm »
Thanks man ! It is finally working !! Thanks also to pzucchel to helping us.

I was affected by problem one and two and was solved by putting parameter 101 to 16140
Other setting seems to remain at default... When I made the change (all at once) I get the "failed at setting user config".
So I put them ba&ck to original settings except settings 101 and hit reload again.

After a 2nd reload all settings were sets as you describe it but I did already put all setting back to their default (except 101).

so after a third reload, settings look like this and it seem to be working:
3 : 1
101 : 16140
111 :30

thanks again

Offline melinm

« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2013, 06:24:12 pm »
OK, been giving it more thought and realise there is a "hopefully simple" change needed here/

The Aeon has a master device and 3 slaves in Vera, the slaves being the 3 individual clamps and the master "already having a calculation in it" which is the sum of the 3 clamps.

This is designed for 3 phase systems where the total power is that calculation.

In my case everything is going through clamp 1 and then 2 and 3 cover individual large loads.

If I can simply modify this sum in the master device to be

clamp 1 - clamp 2 - clamp 3 

Instead of 1 + 2 + 3

I can achieve what I am after without major coding.

Has anyone any idea where the master device calculation takes place?? I can't see a lua file associated with the Aeon in the plugins directory, where would it be located??

Many thanks

Nick

You can create you own device and setting the value on a watching method
I do something like this with my 2 clamp version:

I create a virtual device type urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:PowerMeter:1 with device file D_PowerMeter1.xml

and in my startup script:
HEM_GEN is my first clamp ,HEM_PV my second clamp and HEM_CALC is my virtual device

luup.variable_watch("calcPowerKwh","urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","KWH",HEM_GEN)
luup.variable_watch("calcPowerWatts","urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","Watts",HEM_GEN)

function calcPowerKwh()
--kwh
local kwhGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", HEM_GEN)
local kwhPv = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "KWH", HEM_PV)
local s=kwhGen-kwhPv
luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","KWH",s,HEM_CALC)
end

function calcPowerWatts()
--Watts
local wattsGen = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", HEM_GEN)
local wattsPv = luup.variable_get("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1", "Watts", HEM_PV)
local s=wattsGen-wattsPv
luup.variable_set("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:EnergyMetering1","Watts",s,HEM_CALC)
end