We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera 3 / UI7.0.11 and ZCOMBO may cause issues!  (Read 12912 times)

Offline Jamr

Re: Vera 3 / UI7.0.11 and ZCOMBO may cause issues!
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 01:05:19 pm »
I would do some actual testing of the smoke detection of these units, regardless of their function with Vera. I had reported a while back about my two ZCOMBO units not detecting smoke. I've since replaced them with two hardwired 2nd gen Nests. I've kept the ZCOMBOS sitting on the counter top in the kitchen just for the hell of it. Well last week my grandmother once again burned something beyond recognition in the time it took me to go grocery shopping. Everything was making noise in the house, including the outdoor siren from an alarm system I cancelled the subscription to (and that smoke detector is on a different floor and is nearly 30 years old). The only thing not making a peep were the two ZCOMBO units sitting about a meter from the source of smoke.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Hmm? I will test mine.

Marc Shenker

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2015, 06:49:24 am »
I would do some actual testing of the smoke detection of these units, regardless of their function with Vera. I had reported a while back about my two ZCOMBO units not detecting smoke. I've since replaced them with two hardwired 2nd gen Nests. I've kept the ZCOMBOS sitting on the counter top in the kitchen just for the hell of it. Well last week my grandmother once again burned something beyond recognition in the time it took me to go grocery shopping. Everything was making noise in the house, including the outdoor siren from an alarm system I cancelled the subscription to (and that smoke detector is on a different floor and is nearly 30 years old). The only thing not making a peep were the two ZCOMBO units sitting about a meter from the source of smoke.

This post prompted me to order some CRC Smoke Test. All 6 of my ZCombos tested out fine.

Offline Jamr

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2015, 11:52:03 am »
I tested my (1) ZCombo with burning / smoking paper. It did not produce a lot of smoke. I could NOT get it to trip.

Offline farfromuman

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 10:00:35 am »
So is the Beta supposed to un-trip the Zcombos or do I have to do something else to clear them?  Mine are still tripped after the update.

Offline wezley69

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 10:43:05 am »
@farfromuman - I had to exclude/include to get the device in an un-tripped state.

Offline Filipe

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 11:30:14 pm »
Has this issue been resolved???
I haven't upgraded my Vera Edge precisely because of this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 11:51:40 pm »
Has this issue been resolved???
I haven't upgraded my Vera Edge precisely because of this issue.

Yes this issue has been resolved since the BETA which is now a final version.

Offline Filipe

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 03:54:04 pm »
So it's safe to upgrade to the new firmware I take it?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 06:41:56 pm »
So it's safe to upgrade to the new firmware I take it?

It's never safe, but I have the latest on 3 vera's and don't have any issues. Only one vera has there Z-combos and it has not issues with them.

Offline tybo611

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 04:51:13 pm »
It was stated that FA provided enough information to fully integrate this into Vera and that was released in the last firmware updated. Has anyone tested the ability for a CO alarm to trip the device in Vera?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 04:54:56 pm »
It was stated that FA provided enough information to fully integrate this into Vera and that was released in the last firmware updated. Has anyone tested the ability for a CO alarm to trip the device in Vera?

I have not and did not see any official wording saying that it was done. I assume your reading that info only in this thread. But even then no one said it was completed .

Offline HomeTheaterGuy

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 01:13:19 pm »

This post prompted me to order some CRC Smoke Test. All 6 of my ZCombos tested out fine.

So, fair to say it is safe to purchase a First Alert zcombo-g unit? I was about to purchase 2, First Alert 2-in-1 Z-Wave Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Cert ID: ZC08-13060006 units but stumbled upon this thread and hesitated until I saw that it seems the Zcombo issues were resolved.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2016, 09:45:01 am »

So, fair to say it is safe to purchase a First Alert zcombo-g unit? I was about to purchase 2, First Alert 2-in-1 Z-Wave Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Cert ID: ZC08-13060006 units but stumbled upon this thread and hesitated until I saw that it seems the Zcombo issues were resolved.

The units are working for me over a year. The thing people want and haven't got is a seperate alert for co2.

Offline jmarty32

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 12:05:54 pm »
I am still having issues with my unit.

A few days ago the unit started chirping so i removed that batteries since it was in the middle of the night. The next morning i was surprised that the low battery alert i had set up didn't let me know that the batteries where going low. I went online and the unit still showed as active with 70% battery life. It has been 2 days since i removed the batteries and the unit still shows fine with 70% battery life.

I have not changed any of the settings from the default. Is there something i need to change ?

I am still not sure i can trust this unit to be 100% fool proof and safe for my family.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 02:05:20 pm »
I am still not sure i can trust this unit to be 100% fool proof and safe for my family.

I have several and the only way it's going to be safe is if you have batteries in it and you test it with a can of smoke. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B3BL0S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0041X4GRK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1X8ZFX51Z5BETJ32Y728

You can stair it up on the wall everyday but if you never test it (with smoke) you will never feel comfortable or know if its really going to work when there is actually smoke in the house. Also the alerts on the phone should never be what saves your life. It should be the beeping from the unit, the alert is only a bonus while your away from home to know if something goes bad.

Also these smoke detectors are not made to poll back and forth from vera very much. There is no reason too. If there it is tripped it will send it fast but it doesn't keep sending battery updates every hour. That would drain the batteries. Check and see what your polling or reporting time are set to, to find out when it should update.