We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI7, direct serial connection troubleshooting  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Bones1117

UI7, direct serial connection troubleshooting
« on: September 28, 2015, 01:04:37 pm »
Hello Futzle,

I was wondering whether you still had the instructions on setting up the WIZ100 SR for use with the GE Caddox.  I can't seem to find anywhere.  I did check the GitHub location but I didn't see actual instructions, just a section titled "Install and set up the plugin".  If you can help that would be great.  Just to clarify, I have all the physical cabling done and the serial to IP plugin, this used to work, but now I am getting the message "Failed to Open IO port" and I'm pretty sure that the serial to IP is not configured correctly.  Thanks again.

Offline futzle

• Master Member
Re: UI7, direct serial connection troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 05:07:11 pm »
I was wondering whether you still had the instructions on setting up the WIZ100 SR for use with the GE Caddox.  I can't seem to find anywhere.  I did check the GitHub location but I didn't see actual instructions, just a section titled "Install and set up the plugin".  If you can help that would be great.

I think you want this thread in the forum which has a link to this howto.  There were never any detailed instructions on using serial-to-IP gateways on code.mios.com or on github.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 05:09:08 pm by futzle »

Offline Bones1117

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:10:21 pm »
futzle,

Thanks for the reply.  I need some help and I'm sure you've heard that before!  I had your Caddx plugin (Version 1) working many years ago using an IP to Serial (WIZ100SR) device because my panel is in another room and I had CAT-5e close but  I think it has died.  Anyway, I decided to try and get it working again, this time just using the CAT5 as a long serial cable, no IP.  After wiring up a few RJ-45 to DB-9 adapters, I was able to use a laptop with a USB to Serial adapter and communicate with the panel from the room that has the Vera (Vera 2 running UI-5) using DL900 software.  I have no errors when using the laptop software combination.  I deleted the old NX-8E device from vera and installed the version from the marketplace (version 81, I think).  After installing, I setup the connection by using the connection tab (Wow, this sure looks different than the original version!!) and restarted Vera.  I get a "Lua failure" message in the main device window.  It does seem to pull information when I click on the configure button (screen populates with information).  If I click on Zones and enter a number in the maximum zone box and lick scan, nothing happens.

I am guessing that I have a communication issue but have no idea how to proceed.  I remember alot of talk about the cable needing to be wired a specific way, of course LOL, for everything to work correctly.  What I'm looking for is the best, most likely place to start the troubleshooting and then go from there.  I'm guessing that sending you logs will help.  If so, can you give me a little help on getting the correct log or section of log?  I have InfoViewer installed.

Also, I have the NX-8E configured properly to communicate per the instructions you sent me a few days ago.  I didn't have to change anything as it was still configured from years ago. ...I just confirmed settings.

I hope you have time to help me with this!!! If there is a better or preferred way to communicate from here forward, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:13:18 pm »
Bones1117, I can't give you a detailed response today, but you can self-help and find answers to all of your questions by reading past topics in this subforum.  In particular, look for:
  • The Connect tab does not work on UI7.  You must use Vera's own serial port assignment page.
  • There are a ton of posts that already describe how to get the Luup log.  This is not specific to the plugin; the answers are scattered all over the forum.
My gut feeling is that the plugin either hasn't been configured to talk to the serial port (see above), that the serial communication parameters aren't the same at both ends of the connection, or that the Vera isn't able to supply enough power your USB-to-Serial adapter (look out for posts that describe powered USB hubs).

I'm going to split this conversation off onto its own topic rather than pollute the head sticky more. I curate the subforum precisely so that users can find previous relevant discussions.