We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: VeraPlus extremely slow when controlling lights  (Read 1766 times)

Offline haakon

VeraPlus extremely slow when controlling lights
« on: February 28, 2017, 08:31:57 am »
I would like to have a remote by our bed, so that we can turn off all lights and put the house in night mode. If someone walks out in the hallway, I would like a motion sensor to turn on night lights, dimming all lights to 15 percent. I have tried to do this by creating scenes to dim or switch on or off the 14 relevant Z-wave devices.

However, the scenes execute extremely slowly, even when launched from Vera UI.

Running one of these scenes takes about 10 to 20 seconds. Sometimes most lights are off after 20 seconds, while one or two lights lag behind and turn off after 30-40 seconds or more. Is this normal? What can be done to improve speed?

Night lights that turn on after 20 seconds are pretty useless.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:35:15 am by haakon »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: VeraPlus extremely slow when controlling lights
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:01:58 am »
Sounds like you have Z-Wave mesh problems ... causing re transmission of commands. This slows everything down.

You might try removing some devices (likely the furthest from Vera) and see if you can't speed up the rest of the scene ... Then put the slow ones at the end.
Filling out the mesh with additional nodes would also help ... Putting Vera in a location with better connectivity to the majority of your devices will also help.

Offline rge

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:57:57 am »
As a matter of interest, what is a "typical" response time?

Mine usually take a couple of seconds to respond to a command in the UI (i.e. button press); and a further couple of seconds for the confirmation to be shown in the UI again.

Offline haakon

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:59:07 pm »
Thanks, Richard. That makes sense; I will give it a try.

Offline kellerman

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:59:32 am »
haakon...did you have any success with this?
I'm having the same kind of issues...but can't identify the root cause.

When communicating with a single node (light) it normally responds within 1-3 seconds. But when I run the "Turn all off" from the dashboard it can take up to 10-60 seconds before all lights are off. And normally there's only 4-5 lights on (of about 12 in total) at that point when triggering the "Turn all off".
The weird thing is that I have created a scene that turn these 4 lights on at sunset...and this scene normally executes within 5 seconds.

So...I'm wondering if the "Turn all off" are doing some other logic than my custom scene does?

Offline aa6vh

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:45:13 am »
Just to note, "Turn off all lights" is a different Zwave command set from "Turn This light off" run sequentially.

I use the "All Off" button on my remote, and it is very slow. I also have a Vera Scene that explicitly turns off each light, and it runs much faster.

The "All Off" Zwave command seems to turn off lights in the order that the lights were added to the Zwave network. My older lights turn off pretty quickly, but there is a few minute delay on the newest ones. I suspect the slowness is in the Zwave logic for the "All Off" Zwave command set.

Offline kellerman

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 05:31:38 pm »
Is that a fact aa6vh?....or just a qualified guess? :)

I've been wondering if that was the case actually...since my various tests with scenes have had better success. But...I've also noticed that there seems to be some dependency with the number of lights added to a scene. I made some tests by adding one light at a time to a scene to see how fast it ran. And when adding more than 5-6 nodes...it began to get slow. At first I thought it was a specific node that was the problem...but when starting off with that node in the scene (doing it all over again) it worked fine...until I had added about 5-6 lights again to the scene. So my conclusion was that it has something to to with the number of nodes in a scene.

I'm a system developer myself so I know a thing or two about conditional logic...and I can't really see how this could get so slow...

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 06:57:44 pm »
I have a number of scenes which trigger anywhere between 25-50 nodes and yes they can be very slow. They can be so slow that the vera temporarily freezes as if for each command the vera is waiting for the response before sending the next one but even then, it can't be this slow. I speculate that not only the vera waits for the response from the device but wants to wait to run all the jobs within the UI related to the status change before moving to the next. Being multithreaded, it is able to run a few jobs in parallel but has limitations so after a certain number it hangs...
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline aa6vh

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 11:08:29 am »
Is that a fact aa6vh?....or just a qualified guess? :)

Both. If you study the ZWave specifications, you will see that there are two separate ZWave type commands (command classes), "All Off" and "A specific light off". I could not find any documentation though on how "All Off" is implemented in the ZWave specifications.

I do know that Vera is not involved in the "All Off" sequence (other than possibly initiating the command). My "All Off" from a remote works the same whether Vera is operational or off-line, and goes just as fast (or as slowly).

My speed difference is based on my observations. The scene completes in about 90 seconds (still a long time), whilst the last light turning off using All Off is about 2 1/2 minutes. It is possible that the difference can be explained by how my ZWave network is set up, other networks could behave differently (time wise). In other works, YMMV.

Vera actually did not support the "All Off" ZWave command class in earlier releases. I am not sure when it was implemented.