We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: New plugin: LiteTouch  (Read 2846 times)

Offline signal15

New plugin: LiteTouch
« on: December 03, 2013, 10:29:00 pm »
It works with the Standard and Compact CCUs.  It won't work with the 5000LC because that uses a different (better) protocol.  You'll also need to either make a cable or have/buy the LiteTouch integration cable.  Instructions for making the cable are available if you click the help link.

http://apps.mios.com/plugin.php?id=5056

I've been using it regularly for the past 2-3 weeks.  The only real limitation is that if someone controls a light from a keypad or something other than the Vera, it can take a bit for the Vera to catch the update.  This is a limitation of the serial protocol on the older CCUs.

If someone has a spare 5000LC laying around and feels like sending it my way, I'll write a plugin for that also.  But I'm not taking it out once it's installed.  :)

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: New plugin: LiteTouch
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:30:10 am »
I'm sure that those using this device know what you're talking about. Bu,t for those if us tat are less in the know, searching  for answers only tells us that Savant acquired LiteTouch and that they recommend people upgrade. So, the product is discontinued?

I think your plugin and this thread would benefit greatly if you defined a few things.

What is it?
What does it do?
What is a CCU?
What does the plugin do?(Possibly redundant, but...)
What are the plugin's limitations?(If any.)

I presume you put a lot of work into your plugin, now market it.

Offline signal15

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 01:02:08 pm »
Sorry, I figured the only people interested in it would be people that already had it. 

LiteTouch is a centralized lighting system.  Instead of your lighting loads in the house running to switches in each room, they ALL run back to panels in the basement that are filled with relay and dimmer modules.  The CCU (controller) connects to these panels, and also connects to low voltage keypads around the home for control.  The buttons on the keypads can be programmed to control a single lighting load, groups of loads, or scenes that have been programmed into the unit via the LiteWare software or via the LCD panel on the Standard CCU.  It's really a pretty slick system, but they are expensive.  Mine was $30-40k installed, back in 1995 (previous owner of the house had it put in).

This plugin controls the Standard and Compact CCU's, which were around in the mid-late 90's.  I'm not sure when they were discontinued.  The 5000LC controller is a newer controller that is more capable and has a better serial protocol.

Savant Systems purchased LiteTouch a couple of years ago.  If you have an old LiteTouch system, you can upgrade it to the latest Savant controller and keypads without having to replace your panels or relay/dimmer modules.  This plugin doesn't support those, but if Savant wanted to send me some free of charge, I'd be happy to make a plugin for it.  :)

My plugin controls the dimmers and relays directly in the panels.  It does NOT simulate button presses on the keypads because as I mentioned above, buttons can control multiple loads or scenes and you'd be limited to what the button was programmed for (e.g. setting a dimmer to only 50% if it was programmed that way).  When you install the plugin, you need to tell it the addresses of all of your loads.  So if module 01 is a dimmer module with 6 outputs, the addresses for those loads start at 01-1 and go to 01-6.  So under the RelayLoads variable, you would put "01-1,01-2,01-3,01-4,01-5,01-6", restart LUUP, and it would create all of the dimmer devices in Vera for you.

There are two main limitations right now, but they aren't major:
1. It's possible to control the fade rate on the dimmers in whole seconds via the serial protocol.  I have not implemented this.  And if I did, it would be a global setting for ALL dimmers on the LiteTouch system because I don't believe it's possible to add this variable to each dimmer created in vera.
2. If you press a button in Vera to turn a light on/off, it updates the status immediately in Vera.  However, if you adjust a light via the keypad, it will take some time to update it.  This is because the LiteTouch system does NOT send an update for when a load's status changes, it must be polled for.  When you poll a load, the response only contains the level of the load that was queried, but nothing to identify what it's responding to.  The only way to get polling working reliable was to create a circular queue where the vera goes around an polls one load every 2 seconds.  If you have 30 loads, it will take up to 1 minute for a changed load to get updated in Vera.  I'm going to make the polling frequency adjustable in case people have problems with the default of 2 seconds.  Again, this is a limitation of the serial protocol, and there really isn't a better way to do this.

Other than the limitations above, the plugin is working great for me.  If anyone else has a LiteTouch system and tries out the plugin, I'd love to know about it.  I can't imagine there will be great demand for it, although, a lot of commercial buildings do have the systems installed and I know MIOS markets some products specifically towards the commercial sector.

Offline dtung

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 05:16:09 pm »
Hi, I have been using the UI5 plugin with no issues. I just bought a vera plus with Ui7 and after installing the plugin, the LUUP engine continuously keeps restarting. I am an amateur at this, you help would be appreciated.