We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: ALTUI and Thingspeak integration  (Read 9310 times)

Offline amg0

• Master Member
ALTUI and Thingspeak integration
« on: October 19, 2015, 07:50:29 am »
I will soon release a ALTUI version which works in concert with thingspeak to store persistent values of variables and to create graphs & math analysis of it

Thingspeak is quite powerful, so the point is not to teach all the possibilities of it ( and I am happy to see some of what you do with it & hints for other ) but here is a quick tutorial on how you can enable it and use it with ALTUI

This is of course optional , you do not have to but , if like me , you want to see trends of your data and not have to deal with managing locally persistent storage & database and complex things, then that could be easy enough.  If you want more powerful things there are great plugins outthere for that ( Dataxxxx plugins )

Version 0.91.833
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:04:28 pm by amg0 »

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
Re: ALTUI and Thingspeak integration
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 11:10:44 pm »
Very cool as well as the ability to now select themes...

I will soon release a ALTUI version which works in concert with thingspeak to store persistent values of variables and to create graphs & math analysis of it

Thingspeak is quite powerful, so the point is not to teach all the possibilities of it ( and I am happy to see some of what you do with it & hints for other ) but here is a quick tutorial on how you can enable it and use it with ALTUI

This is of course optional , you do not have to but , if like me , you want to see trends of your data and not have to deal with managing locally persistent storage & database and complex things, then that could be easy enough.  If you want more powerful things there are great plugins outthere for that ( Dataxxxx plugins )

Version 0.91.833
openLuup, AltUI, Zway and HomeWave, enough said...

Offline logread

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 01:13:11 pm »
amg0,

I gave it a try and it works very well... Many thanks !

I was hoping this could replace for me the dataMine plugin for two reasons:
  • one less plugin to run on a Vera lite is always welcome
  • dataMine only works locally, not remotely. I run OpenVPN on the Vera (that is in a vacation home) so I can access locally if needed, but that's an additional step/hassle.

However, while obviously the data/charts are available on Thinkspeak anytime, it seems the chart display within the device variables view in AltUI only works when Vera is local, not remote... Any chance this could be made available for remote access ?

Again many thanks for your continuous wonders with this interface !
Vera Lite UI7, Fibaro FGS-221, FGS-212, FGSS-001, FGK-101, FGWPE/F-101, FGMS-001, Aeon HEM G2, GreenWave PowerNode 6,  Everspring ST-814, SE-812, Swiid SwiidInter.
Raspberry Pi2 Raspbian w/ openLuup. AltUI, SV Thermostat, Virtual Switch, Weather (openWeather), System Monitor (openSysMon), HomeWave.

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:30:46 pm »
amg0,

I gave it a try and it works very well... Many thanks !

I was hoping this could replace for me the dataMine plugin for two reasons:
  • one less plugin to run on a Vera lite is always welcome
  • dataMine only works locally, not remotely. I run OpenVPN on the Vera (that is in a vacation home) so I can access locally if needed, but that's an additional step/hassle.

However, while obviously the data/charts are available on Thinkspeak anytime, it seems the chart display within the device variables view in AltUI only works when Vera is local, not remote... Any chance this could be made available for remote access ?

Again many thanks for your continuous wonders with this interface !

I agree, although I have no ambition to reach what dataMine does... however if you master thingspeak and mathlab it seems you can do some good things too. I never went beyond the simple charts but it seems possible.

I have fixed the remote access issue in version >=  842.  ( not yet published )

Offline logread

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:44:49 am »
Thanks for adding the remote access charting... Works.

Will try to play around with the thinkspeak / mathlab tools but I suspect everything I am using  dataMine for (simple charts), will be available including easier data import/export. I never ventured using the newer and powerful DataYours as it requires multiple plugins to be installed... Your approach of a cloud based solution using an existing plugin (AltUI) is ideal for RAM constrained systems such as Vera lite.
Vera Lite UI7, Fibaro FGS-221, FGS-212, FGSS-001, FGK-101, FGWPE/F-101, FGMS-001, Aeon HEM G2, GreenWave PowerNode 6,  Everspring ST-814, SE-812, Swiid SwiidInter.
Raspberry Pi2 Raspbian w/ openLuup. AltUI, SV Thermostat, Virtual Switch, Weather (openWeather), System Monitor (openSysMon), HomeWave.

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:50:42 am »
I never ventured using the newer and powerful DataYours as it requires multiple plugins to be installed... Your approach of a cloud based solution using an existing plugin (AltUI) is ideal for RAM constrained systems such as Vera lite.

Just for the record, DataYours plugins all run in the same address space, so only use the combined resources of one plugin.  All together, they actually use far less disc and memory than DataMine.  But this is off-topic, so if you want to pursue the issue, then feel free to discuss on the DataYours thread.

There are, of course, other reasons to want to run dataMine and not DataYours.

More on topic: when we say "Mathlab", are we really meaning "Matlab"?  Or are they different?
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 11:50:12 am »
I never ventured using the newer and powerful DataYours as it requires multiple plugins to be installed... Your approach of a cloud based solution using an existing plugin (AltUI) is ideal for RAM constrained systems such as Vera lite.

Just for the record, DataYours plugins all run in the same address space, so only use the combined resources of one plugin.  All together, they actually use far less disc and memory than DataMine.  But this is off-topic, so if you want to pursue the issue, then feel free to discuss on the DataYours thread.

There are, of course, other reasons to want to run dataMine and not DataYours.

More on topic: when we say "Mathlab", are we really meaning "Matlab"?  Or are they different?
sorry spelling mistake. it seems it is matlab , https://thingspeak.com/pages/how_to#analyze

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 12:23:10 pm »
sorry spelling mistake. it seems it is matlab , https://thingspeak.com/pages/how_to#analyze

Oh, that's great!  I know it well. 
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline logread

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 02:40:11 am »
Akbooer, a last off-topic comment from me... thanks for the info on the dataYours plugins all running in same address space. I was not keen on installing 3 plug-ins each eating about 3-5% of precious RAM when Luup engine already reserves 120%+ of physical RAM on my Vera lite

Offline Zooz

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 04:14:24 am »
This is EXCELLENT! Thank You :D

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 06:55:35 pm »
This is EXCELLENT! Thank You :D
sligthly better now in 849, you can change the default url to be the graph you want. of course, you need to use thingspeak UI to prepare your graph, but then ALTUI saves the url and uses this one.

in fact any url could work, even a youtube video
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:59:26 pm by amg0 »

Offline momanz

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 12:02:52 pm »
Very nice feature thanks for the great work with this plugin and Thingspeak integration.

One question, is there a way to increase the data sampling. It looks like I'm uploading data every minute and I'd like to increase my resolution in time for my powermeter graphs. Is it possible to change the sampling interval to 10 or 15 sec?

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 08:33:49 am »
Very nice feature thanks for the great work with this plugin and Thingspeak integration.

One question, is there a way to increase the data sampling. It looks like I'm uploading data every minute and I'd like to increase my resolution in time for my powermeter graphs. Is it possible to change the sampling interval to 10 or 15 sec?

there is no sampling interval, it is simply when the watch fires ( so wheenver the variable changes ) . increaseing the rate means you need to find a way to know more frequently about this ( maybe a polling config on the device ).  but from ALTUI & thingspeak, it is only at each change that it is reported to thingspeak

Offline tedp

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 01:22:07 am »
See this thread for an awesome visualization tool into Thingspeak

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=213058.0

Just download the webpage, and insert your channel ID, read API key and desired fields.

I'm using it now to plot power and temperature from 2 of my Veras thought AltUI and Thingspeak!

Offline logread

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 02:30:15 am »
tedp,

Many thanks for the pointer. Howsome work and exactly what I needed... Will save me a lot of work with MatLab as I was trying to get there