We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Troubleshooting location-specific problems  (Read 1758 times)

Offline mmesford

• Sr. Newbie
Troubleshooting location-specific problems
« on: November 10, 2015, 11:02:35 pm »
I've got two different Wave units, a GE/Jasco outlet and an Enerwave-ZWN-RSM2, that both seem to work fine in my house.  I connected both to power near my VeraLite and they paired okay.  When I installed them in my shop, which is not attached to the house (where Vera lives) they stopped working.  I have two different Wave lights in the shop that are in range of the nearest house node.  They've never given me trouble.  So why would these units refuse to work?  Can anyone give me some troubleshooting suggestions?  I'm relatively familiar with reading the logs but I don't see anything useful.  It's as if they cease to exist when they get outside. Any way to send "ping" type signals from the command line or anything like that?  Any tips would be appreciated. 

Mike

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: Troubleshooting location-specific problems
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 11:08:45 pm »
Did you do a Z-Wave heal after moving them ?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 11:30:01 pm »
When you included them in the house right next to vera they paired and learned the best communication route and its neighbors......... then you took them and dropped them off in the desert where they cant communicate or see home base and their orginal neighbors bill and joe are no longer to be found. Just because you put them next to jessie and fred they have no clue who they are and if they can communicate with vera.

Point is when you add a device do it in the location it will stay or run a heal (if your not on the latest firmware) after moving to reset everything back up and find its new communication route and neighbors.

Offline mmesford

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:49:36 pm »
Okay, this is good stuff.  I've never done that with any of the switches I've added but I guess they were all still close enough to shout to their friends.  So my best option to add switches to the edges of my expanding ZWave domain is to install them and then bring Vera by for a visit?  I can do that.  But I'm curious about the Heal option.  I don't remember hearing that term before.  I don't see it in MIOS anywhere.  There is an option to Repair My Network under Wave settings.  Is that it?

Mike

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 12:05:34 am »
Okay, this is good stuff.  I've never done that with any of the switches I've added but I guess they were all still close enough to shout to their friends.  So my best option to add switches to the edges of my expanding ZWave domain is to install them and then bring Vera by for a visit?  I can do that.  But I'm curious about the Heal option.  I don't remember hearing that term before.  I don't see it in MIOS anywhere.  There is an option to Repair My Network under Wave settings.  Is that it?

Mike

Heal option is not available in the last few UI7 versions. It was an option until the z-wave chip firmware changed (not vera) and then vera pushed it out the update. They decided it wasn't needed...... and Poof its gone.

You should install devices and without moving vera try to add them right where they are located. If the network is not strong enough or if they are trouble some device then you can move vera close to the switches after installed and do the setup. But I would always try to do everything you can from the normal resting place of both vera and the devices. Being that you have switches already in the shop, you shouldn't have a problem adding them. But never say never.  ;D

Offline mmesford

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 12:11:38 am »
Hmm.  I've got UI5.  Hadn't been paying attention to the MIOS world.  Any compelling reasons to upgrade?

Offline mmesford

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 12:13:22 am »
Oh, and what would happen if I tried the Repair function?

Offline mmesford

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:56:35 pm »
For the sake of future searchers: I tried using the Repair function, which appears to be the same as 'healing'.  The network couldn't seem to find any of my cranky devices.  Next I tried excluding them in situ while Vera stayed home.  No luck, she couldn't see them.  I unplugged Vera and carried her out the shop.  I have an ethernet connection out there so I plugged her in to that.  That allowed me to do the exclusions/inclusions using the MIOS interface.  Everything worked fine and the devices were very responsive.  For the final test I took Vera back to her normal location and, after waiting for everything to settle into it's steady state, tried remote operation of the new, formerly cranky, devices.  Everything works great.  It even passed the partner test: I called Jackie over to show her we could operate the driveway light from our phones.  This is usually where things break.  But not this time.  Everything works and I'm a hero!

Ciao

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 11:44:35 pm »
For the sake of future searchers: I tried using the Repair function, which appears to be the same as 'healing'.  The network couldn't seem to find any of my cranky devices.  Next I tried excluding them in situ while Vera stayed home.  No luck, she couldn't see them.  I unplugged Vera and carried her out the shop.  I have an ethernet connection out there so I plugged her in to that.  That allowed me to do the exclusions/inclusions using the MIOS interface.  Everything worked fine and the devices were very responsive.  For the final test I took Vera back to her normal location and, after waiting for everything to settle into it's steady state, tried remote operation of the new, formerly cranky, devices.  Everything works great.  It even passed the partner test: I called Jackie over to show her we could operate the driveway light from our phones.  This is usually where things break.  But not this time.  Everything works and I'm a hero!

Ciao

Your probley pushing the limits of distance and the mesh in between. Without any changes you should be good, but those devices probley have limited route back to VERA and may be taking more time then usual to respond. Keep an eye on them and build the mesh in between if possible to help them out.