We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Wiring a GE smart outlet to a switch! Does it reset the Z wave function?  (Read 819 times)

Offline imowt

• Sr. Newbie
I temporarily hooked up a few GE Smart Outlets (outside) to a set of outdoor lights ( until I can run a separate circuit )
  I will include it in my smart phone app, but will it lose or reset it's function if I turn the outside lights off?
I was wondering about this and haven't included it into the vera yet. I have the Vera3
Thanks

Offline cybrmage

• Beta Testers
Re: Wiring a GE smart outlet to a switch! Does it reset the Z wave function?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 12:16:12 pm »
The GE Smart Outlets, like any other Z-Wave device, should retain it's network inclusion despite power loss, until it is excluded or factory-reset.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 02:30:40 pm »
As said it will still work. Same as if your power goes out at home or if you turn your breaker off and back on. It still works with vera after.

Only thing I would check is different switches do different things when powered back up. I'm not sure what yours will do or if it will cause a problem or not.

Most always turn off then power is restored no matter what it was doing before.
Some return to it's original on or off state after power is restored.

I saw one post about always turning on after power is restored, but I don't think that is common or should be normal.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 02:52:59 pm »
One possible concern!

I have a TKB double relay switch controlling the 12v power supply to a Fibaro RGGW controller. This saves the 12v supply from remaining on when not in use.
The problem I have found is that if you send a command to the Fibaro whilst it is turned off it locks up the z-wave and needs a re-boot. I use a scene to turn on the supply before controlling the Fibaro to avoid this but I have been told that this is a known bug.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer