We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: openLuup: Suggestions  (Read 25346 times)

Offline dreamcryer

Re: openLuup: Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2015, 07:22:51 pm »

What did you have in mind here?  HTTPS support in luup.inet.wget, or something different?  Plugins that need to do this can already use the Luasec library.

AltUI already provides external access, so what extra?

Sorry, let me reiterate. Can I run openLuup on SSL? Say I forward port 3480 to my openLuup machine, can I use HTTPS to connect to it? We will have to at least have self-signed cert to support HTTPS, right?

And if we do so, is there any authentication when connecting to openLuup (AltUI on openLuup)?

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 07:31:38 am »
The port 3480 server is only HTTP at this time.  I do know how to make it a HTTPS server (EventWatcher has one) and you would need a certificate and key file.

But I don't know why you would need this since you can remote access with AlTUI already.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline dreamcryer

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 02:48:25 am »
But I don't know why you would need this since you can remote access with AlTUI already.

Sure, but that is connecting to the AltUI installed on Vera, not on openLuup. Kind of beats the purpose of running AltUI on openLuup outside of Vera device, doesn't it?

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 03:51:24 am »
Oh, really?  I didn't know that.  I've certainly never tried it.  Remote access isn't my thing in terms of need or expertise.

However, I do use HomeWave, and that connects to openLuup internally, so I'm not sure if its remote access offers an alternative route in?

Otherwise I guess you have to go VLAN?
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 09:14:12 am »
You might want to explore options such as OpenVPN. I have a Ubiquiti router that offers native support but I haven't set mine up (too busy). Might be something I do a write-up on if there's enough interest.

What did you have in mind here?  HTTPS support in luup.inet.wget, or something different?  Plugins that need to do this can already use the Luasec library.

AltUI already provides external access, so what extra?

Sorry, let me reiterate. Can I run openLuup on SSL? Say I forward port 3480 to my openLuup machine, can I use HTTPS to connect to it? We will have to at least have self-signed cert to support HTTPS, right?

And if we do so, is there any authentication when connecting to openLuup (AltUI on openLuup)?
openLuup, AltUI, Zway and HomeWave, enough said...

Offline dreamcryer

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 12:43:43 pm »
You might want to explore options such as OpenVPN. I have a Ubiquiti router that offers native support but I haven't set mine up (too busy). Might be something I do a write-up on if there's enough interest.

VPN is definitely one option. I just wanted a quick solution that provides certain level of security when exposing external access. VPN is good, but I will have to connect to my VPN network every time I need to do a quick switch on/off.

Offline korttoma

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 01:57:06 am »
You might want to explore options such as OpenVPN... Might be something I do a write-up on if there's enough interest...

Consider this a declaration of interest ;) since the AltUI remote access cant be used ( or can it? ).
- Tomas

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 12:17:21 pm »
AltUI only operates remotely to a Vera unit. As for OpenVPN, I'll see what I can do when I get past this alarm panel integration.

You might want to explore options such as OpenVPN... Might be something I do a write-up on if there's enough interest...

Consider this a declaration of interest ;) since the AltUI remote access cant be used ( or can it? ).

Offline xeinth

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 12:55:12 pm »
I don't know if this is the right/best place to post this, but figured this was best as opposed to starting a new thread.

So I've got a baby coming in a few weeks, and with all the non-sleep I'm going to get I was going to play around and migrate to Openluup for some fun, hopefully with some longer term benefits.  The results in terms of stability and resource usage I think speaks to the overall value/quality.

To that end, one reason I've not just scripted everything today and largely used PLEG is just the inconvenience, primarily around debugging/testing.  I'm not requesting a full blown simulator or anything close to that, but I wonder if there is a means to better manage debug for which openluup can facilitate given its decoupling from Vera.  Perhaps this is a non-issue and I'm just not aware of whats available, or my expectations are ill-informed until I actually get started.

Just curious if anyone had thoughts/suggestions.

x

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 01:03:36 pm »
Well, openLuup IS a full-blown simulator.  I use it all the time for development, along with the most excellent ZeroBrane Studio.  In fact, I run openLuup on my development machine inside ZBS when developing code.  Mistakes cost nothing.  Reloads are sub-second.  Works for me.

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 03:56:50 pm »
Would it be possible for the extension plugin to schedule backups of the directory structures to defined/default landing zones (locally, remotely etc.) at specific intervals ? I know this could be achieved at a low level but I'm thinking of the novice who's not familiar with Linux. So giving others the ability within a plugin to perform this operation may bring comfort to others to know that they can fall back to a known working backup that's being managed on their behalf.
  • Control over interval (daily, weekly, monthly) and time the backup occurs.
  • Define landing zones or default to a backup directory locally.
  • Variables (within the plugin) that indicate when the last backup occurred whereby this could be checked within the plugin.
  • Restore from a backup (if possible) and restart

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:09:13 pm by CudaNet »

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 05:37:19 pm »
All very possible, of course.  But what are you backing up and what failure are you trying to minimise?  It sounds like more than just the user_data.json file (which currently gets checkpointed every 6 minutes, but could easily be versioned, like the log file.)

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 05:48:52 pm »
openLuup is as solid as a rock - this we know and love. I'm trying to avoid having a hardware failure. These systems are my first SSD's and I have no idea how long they'll hold out being in a fan-less PC. So at best, I'd might have a backup from months ago. It's just one of those things I thought about today... You know, like remembering to back things up...

All very possible, of course.  But what are you backing up and what failure are you trying to minimise?  It sounds like more than just the user_data.json file (which currently gets checkpointed every 6 minutes, but could easily be versioned, like the log file.)

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 06:42:14 pm »
Oh, so you're talking a full OS backup utility within openLuup?  Sounds like a new plugin to me, but do-able.  The problem is always the user interface.  Generally, more options == harder to use. Appropriate media would have to be online.

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 06:51:45 pm »
Merely a suggestion, I haven't seen it mentioned and it may be one of those things where no one really needs it.  Then again, we often don't need something until that something nips us..

Oh, so you're talking a full OS backup utility within openLuup?  Sounds like a new plugin to me, but do-able.  The problem is always the user interface.  Generally, more options == harder to use. Appropriate media would have to be online.