We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Leviton Status Issue - VRMX1  (Read 4881 times)

Offline tbully

Leviton Status Issue - VRMX1
« on: November 18, 2015, 03:34:30 pm »
Hello All -

I've recently noticed an issue with one of my VRMX1's.  This particular switch has 4 LED recessed lights hanging from it.  If I recall correctly, I set the minimum dim level on this switch to something like 10%.  Failing to do so would not light the lights at the dimmest setting.

If I manually dim the lights (from the switch) down to the lowest level, I've noticed that Vera switches the status in the console to "off" even though the lights are still on at a very dim level - as they should be.  This of course, messes up automation/PLEG actions, etc.

Thoughts?

Offline chuck1026

Re: Leviton Status Issue - VRMX1
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 12:08:34 pm »
I can control mine from Vera3's UI7 dash but they never update status on the dashboard unless I change settings from the dashboard? Odd.
UI7 / VeraPlus.... YAY, more stable than ever!

Offline tbully

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 12:12:01 pm »
Yeah that is odd.  All your dimmers act that way?

Mine is a very repeatable issue.  If I stand at the switch and dim all the way down, the lights are still on (dim) and the switch physically still says "on"  (LED not lit) but Vera shows the status as "off" in both the dashboard and phone app.

Grrrrrr!

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 04:35:30 pm »
Yeah that is odd.  All your dimmers act that way?

Mine is a very repeatable issue.  If I stand at the switch and dim all the way down, the lights are still on (dim) and the switch physically still says "on"  (LED not lit) but Vera shows the status as "off" in both the dashboard and phone app.

Grrrrrr!

I just tried that. If I dim mine all the way down to the single LED, the bottom "off" LED is still dark and the lamp stays lit. At Vera PC dash I see 1% and "on".

UI7 / VeraPlus.... YAY, more stable than ever!

Offline tbully

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 10:27:03 pm »
Hey!  Thanks for testing!

I noticed that my other dimmers are doing it too so I doubt it's a Leviton issue.

Maybe I'll have to call MCV........

Humph....

Offline tbully

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 09:22:31 am »
As an update, I had a scheduled call with MCV today.  Alexander was friendly and did try to help.  The good news is we do see this as a Vera issue.  The bad news is, since they no longer support UI5, they can't help fix the issue.  (I don't plan on moving to 7 until the Vera Plus comes out.)

In the logs below, you can see where the ZWave frame shows a status of 1% but Vera sets the status to 0% (off).

The thing is, it never used to do this.  So something changed on my controller even though there have been no software updates, etc.  I was guessing it could be a plugin that changed the dimmer device file(s) but Alexander said everything looks OK.  (I don't know where those files are stored to check them myself.)

24      12/12/15 9:15:46.130    ZWJob_PollNode::Run Polling job#173 :pollnode_hail#28 dev:170 (0x1aa3078) N:28 P:32 S:1 node 28 device 170 with command class 0x26 command 0x2 <0x2c4c1680>
24      12/12/15 9:15:46.271    ZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate node 28 device 170 class 0x26 command 0x3 m_iFrameID 878/19570280 data 0x1 (#) <0x2c0c1680>
24      12/12/15 9:15:46.272    ZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate_Basic_Report node 28 device 170 now is 1 was 1/8 <0x2c0c1680>
06      12/12/15 9:15:46.272    Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 170 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1 variable: Status was: 1 now: 0 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xf321f8/NONE duplicate:0 <0x2c0c1680>
06      12/12/15 9:15:46.273    Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 170 service: urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1 variable: LoadLevelStatus was: 8 now: 0 #hooks: 3 upnp: 0 v:0xf48420/NONE duplicate:0 <0x2c0c1680>

Offline tbully

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:57:05 am »
Still having this annoying issue.....

I'm holding off on UI7 until I either go to VeraPlus or move off the platform completely (possible Homeseer).

It's frustrating that Vera admits they see a problem but refuse to have a look due to it being a deprecated platform.  I work in the technology industry and do somewhat agree with the argument but this seems like something that someone could look at for a few minutes.   I'm suspicious that even if I did upgrade that the problem would remain.  I'd then have to work with support anyway and have to deal with the suspected UI7 fallout to boot!

I didn't think it'd be a big deal to wait but this is impacting several areas of logic.  (When the lights are off, do something.  Problem is, they are just really dimmed and I don't want the controller to "do that something"!)

/rant

The fact that nobody is complaining about this makes me wonder if I screwed something up that effects all dimmers (I have several of this model throughout the house - all exhibiting the same behavior).   The Vera tech said that everything looked OK on the surface, however.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 10:16:43 am »
If I recall correctly, I set the minimum dim level on this switch to something like 10%.
How did you do this?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline tbully

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 10:22:46 am »
Check out the instruction manual attached.

It is the custom program "A-2", I think.

Edit:  It's not letting me attach the PDF for some reason.  You can download the "instruction sheet" here:   http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=VRMX1-1LZ&section=44140
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:24:19 am by tbully »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 10:33:22 am »
OK; thanks. Just wanted to make sure you did this on the dimmer itself, and not in Vera.

I've looked at that a long long time ago, for other Leviton dimmers. Can't quite remember, but possibly the dimmers map the manually limited range to the full Z-Wave range (i.e. the 10% you set on the dimmer, is reported as something other than 'level 10' in Z-Wave). Vera also messes with the values, as she maps the Z-Wave range to a 'normal' human range (i.e. 99 vs 100).

Anyway, I believe I have a VRMX1 laying around, and I'll see if I can reproduce this some time.

If you a do manual poll of the dimmer after Vera reported 'off' even though they're on; does anything change?

Offline tbully

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 10:51:21 am »
OK; thanks. Just wanted to make sure you did this on the dimmer itself, and not in Vera.

I've looked at that a long long time ago, for other Leviton dimmers. Can't quite remember, but possibly the dimmers map the manually limited range to the full Z-Wave range (i.e. the 10% you set on the dimmer, is reported as something other than 'level 10' in Z-Wave). Vera also messes with the values, as she maps the Z-Wave range to a 'normal' human range (i.e. 99 vs 100).

Anyway, I believe I have a VRMX1 laying around, and I'll see if I can reproduce this some time.

If you a do manual poll of the dimmer after Vera reported 'off' even though they're on; does anything change?

Doing a manual poll is a good idea.  I'll test that.

I was thinking a few scenarios:
1) I messed up Vera by changing the minimum - to your point.
2) I'm using LEDs and perhaps the load is too low at the minimum dimmer setting (if it does load sensing?)

But I do have several of these around the house that I haven't customized.  The best test case was the one that controls the floods above my fireplace.  Those are old-school halogens and the issue is happening there too.  Unless customizing one dimmer screwed up the map for all devices of that type?

Offline tbully

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 12:13:02 pm »
@oTi@  - When/if you test, can you check what your control granularity is from the console?   Are you still on UI5?

The reason I ask, is I noticed that if I push the +/- buttons, I move up and down by 10% increments.  This is also true if I slide it carefully with my mouse.  I don't use the console much (Veramate) and this really isn't an issue but thought I used to have a little more control than that.  Perhaps it sees anything under 10% as 0/off.......

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 12:53:37 pm »
Based on your statement that you see this even for dimmers that do not have a custom minimum level, I did some remote testing, and pulled up the following:

OK; then it's possible that the dimmer is all the way down to dim level 1. Vera translates this to 0.

(You can set the level to 1% using a Vera scene and the Advanced tab. When executed, this will show 1% in the GUI, presumably because Vera just goes with the value set in the scene, but gets changed to 0% when polled.)

When you limit the dimmer to 10% on the device itself, it reports this lowest value as '1' to Vera, who changes it to '0'.

Offline tbully

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 01:16:22 pm »
When you limit the dimmer to 10% on the device itself, it reports this lowest value as '1' to Vera, who changes it to '0'.

Thanks for testing.  I was able to confirm that if I set it to 1% via a scene, that it goes to 0% the next time it is polled.  Anything above that - such as 2% - works fine and stays there.  I tested this on both the switch that had its minimum adjusted as well as another one.

I'm remote too so I can't actually see what the switch (or load) is doing but will check that later.

Still doesn't really solve the problem of why it goes to "off" when dimmed to the lowest setting from the front of the dimmer.  (Either the dimmer that has a new "A-2" setting or an untouched one.)  I suppose it could be going to 1% at the lowest setting.  That's what my log shows above, after all.  However, @chuck1026 tested this and it seemed fine.  Maybe he didn't wait for a polling event (or force one).

The logic that is failing used to work so I thought this was a new problem.  Maybe I'm going crazy and its a Leviton vs Vera issue.  (Leviton says 1% and Vera says "off")  I may need a UI7 person to test and see what happens........

But it is interesting testing......

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 01:37:33 pm »
Agreed that not all observations here appear consistent. @chuck1026 said it worked (i.e. 1% was seen on the dash), but also reported that the Vera dash doesn't update when the dimmer is changed locally...

I do think it is a generic issue (at least for me), due to the handling in Vera. Note that that post is exactly 2 years old. I'm on Vera3 and UI5.

Right, the Leviton reports '1' (not '10' or something else), but Vera changes this to 0.  (Side note: and she changes 99 to 100; and doesn't program scenes correctly into the Levitons. Which is why I always use '95%' in scenes, for 'full on'. I don't do a lot of dimming to minimum settings via the buttons; mostly in scenes, to like '5%'. So it hasn't been an issue for me and can't necessarily know if it's always been that way.)

I'll try physical buttons tonight.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:39:30 pm by oTi@ »