We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Gas Fireplace using Linear FS20z-1  (Read 1857 times)

Offline f30er

Gas Fireplace using Linear FS20z-1
« on: December 02, 2015, 05:21:20 am »
Can someone tell me how to hook up the Linear FS20Z-1? I'm not an electrician and the diagram in the instructions doesn't make sense to me. The wall switch I have is a low voltage relay switch so two wires for the power and a ground. What do I hook up where? There's no "Neutral" but I thought that was the point of buying the Linear??

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
Re: Gas Fireplace using Linear FS20z-1
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 11:57:19 am »
I don't think it is that complicated. You should have 4 wires. (5 with the ground)
2 to power the switch (line Z(black) and neutral (white)+ground (green) to wire into a power outlet.
2 for the dry contact switch which you need to put in line with your low voltage circuit to power the fireplace taking the place of your current switch. (Blue)

Use the dry contact diagram.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline f30er

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 06:46:08 am »
Thanx for the reply!

If there was a "Neutral" then this wouldn't be a problem. But there's isn't a neutral, just the two wires for the switch and the ground...

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:11:07 am »
You will need to install this on the Fireplace side ... where you have access to POWER.

OR

If there is a power outlet in the wall below the switch ... you may be able to fish a wire from it to this switch to provide the needed power.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 11:18:54 am »
Thanx for the reply!

If there was a "Neutral" then this wouldn't be a problem. But there's isn't a neutral, just the two wires for the switch and the ground...

The switch itself needs to be powered so indeed you need to run not just a neutral but also a line to it. I created a cable which I plugged into an outlet under my fireplace by cutting a computer cable and wiring it to the switch.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.